Moving to Alaska

Beef

FNG
Classified Approved
Wife and I landed jobs on the Kenai Peninsula. I’ve done a lot of research into the drive etc. However a big question I have is, are there any things I should buy down here to take with us before moving up? What are some things you wish you brought with you or purchased in the lower 48 before moving? Gear wise etc?

I’ve got most of everything I can think of but this can apply to non hunting items as well. I’ll be pulling an 8x12 trailer so will have a decent amount of room to bring stuff up with.

OP
Beef

Beef

FNG
Classified Approved
Got lots of that thankfully, but can always get some more lol.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Ammo, primers, powder. Don't put it in your trailer though if driving through Canada rather than taking the ferry, it will have to be shipped.

Lithium batters for your tools if you can find a good deal, they are not supposed to be air cargo, so pretty much stuck paying local prices.

Really though, the Kenai is well populated so you can find a lot without even going to Anchorage. Basically hazmat that is not common as it is hard to ship, if you have to order it in the lower 48, it will probably not be reasonably available in AK.

OP
Beef

Beef

FNG
Classified Approved
Ammo, primers, powder. Don't put it in your trailer though if driving through Canada rather than taking the ferry, it will have to be shipped.

Lithium batters for your tools if you can find a good deal, they are not supposed to be air cargo, so pretty much stuck paying local prices.

Really though, the Kenai is well populated so you can find a lot without even going to Anchorage. Basically hazmat that is not common as it is hard to ship, if you have to order it in the lower 48, it will probably not be reasonably available in AK.
I’m pretty sure I can bring ammo through Alaska up to 50,000 rounds as long as I declare it. Not sure about the powder and primers though. But I haven’t been able to find large rifle primers locally since covid anyways.

Just curious, where are you moving from? What will you and your wife be doing for jobs there?

I only ask bc I want to do the same…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Beef

Beef

FNG
Classified Approved
Just curious, where are you moving from? What will you and your wife be doing for jobs there?

I only ask bc I want to do the same…

We’re both medical. Loooots of jobs in Alaska if you’re a nurse/respiratory therapist/doctor etc

Moving from Colorado. Although I’ve lived just about everywhere since graduating as I’ve been a medical traveler the last 4 years.

My wife was pretty on board after watching a bunch of hunting and fishing videos lol. But we’ve also lived in the dakotas during winter time so that’s a pretty good comparison to winters in KP from my research and talking with the director that hired us.

OP
Beef

Beef

FNG
Classified Approved
We have everything you need up here, usually at the same or only slightly higher cost.

Popular items to bring up are trucks, trailers, and women. Sounds like you have those covered lol.
Sounds like I have all the important things in that case 😂

We’re both medical. Loooots of jobs in Alaska if you’re a nurse/respiratory therapist/doctor etc

Moving from Colorado. Although I’ve lived just about everywhere since graduating as I’ve been a medical traveler the last 4 years.

My wife was pretty on board after watching a bunch of hunting and fishing videos lol. But we’ve also lived in the dakotas during winter time so that’s a pretty good comparison to winters in KP from my research and talking with the director that hired us.

I used to be in medical several years ago. Not anymore.

You’ll be able to find anything you need on the kenai. Where y’all moving to and working? Was a nurse at central peninsula hospital for 5 years.

Honestly, I’d come as light as possible and only bring something up if it doesn’t need replacing. Alaska is a modern state. You are moving to one of the more populated areas. You will have a Walmart. A Fred Meyers. Auto part stores. Sportsman’s warehouse and paved roads.

When are you making that drive? Winter can e a brutal time to drive especially with a trailer. The alcan has long stretches of roads with nothing. This summer we just drove from Alaska to Juneau and our drive from Tok to the Canadian border then through Canada to Haines saw 8 vehicles. That was 14 hours of driving. In the way back we saw 22. These are vehicles after towns. I didn’t count vehicles once we hit the towns.

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty sure I can bring ammo through Alaska up to 50,000 rounds as long as I declare it. Not sure about the powder and primers though. But I haven’t been able to find large rifle primers locally since covid anyways.
Sir, I'd recommend you double check the total round count allowed. I had a spreadsheet to account for every round. You never know if the Canadian Customs folks are having a bad day and want to see everything.

I've had both experiences: I declared the ammo, showed them my spreadsheet and was waved through. Another time, they ripped open the trailer to inspect everything delaying my travel for several hours.

With respect to firearms, if you do not want to (or cannot due to Canadian law) consider shipping them up. Research shipping "in care of" if you do not want to ship to an FFL.

In summary, check the import regulations for maximum ammo allowed and research "in care of" for shipping your firearms.