Moving to Alaska

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah, Kenai and Soldotna are practically one and between the two there is most everything you will find in towns in the lower 48. It is actually easier to find reloading supplies and ammo there than in Anchorage.

When I moved up I disposed of anything that would not fit in my vehicles or trailer and did not regret it, and I spent my first 2 years on an island in Ketchikan.

I recommend barging your trailer up to Whittier, put all guns and ammo in it. For the most part US customs has given me more trouble than Canadian, but spending hours sitting around while a vehicle gets searched is pretty obnoxious.

If you number your boxes and list contents, then have receipts to prove you shipped any guns that are not allowed, it can make your life easier.

They will ask if you own guns, they might ask the types, and they will ask what you did with them. Answer with confidence and smoothly and life is easier, answer otherwise and you can expect to be repacking your stuff. That said, were you cross matter, Alberta boarder checks are laxer than Vancouver area in my experience.

The drive is fine, even in the winter, so long as you have good tires. Plenty of places to get gas, even in the winter, but plan ahead if driving at night as they may not be open.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Wife and I just moved back up the end of June. Anything you need other than some powders and most primers can be bought locally. I did a fly up before moving and checked in 27 handguns on Alaska Airlines, no issues. The moving company moved the rifles.
Do not hire a moving company if you can help it. You will be much better off selling all your household goods and rebuying them up here instead of paying moving fees.
Items are not as expensive as they used to be compared to lower 48 prices. Lowes charges the same. Sometimes it ends up cheaper as Alaska does not have a state sales tax.
The drive up was uneventful. Wife drove her Expedition and I lead in the Super Duty pulling a utility trailer weighing about 7,000 pounds. No cracked windshields or flats
The road from Haines Jct to Tok is absolutely in terrible condition. Took us 8 hours to drive a little over 200 miles.
Book your hotels a day in advance. If you don't you risk not being able to find a room and will have to sleep in the vehicles so be prepared for that.
Once on the Alcan gas up when you hit 1/2 a tank.
Border crossing was painless. Just pull up, hand them your passports and answer any questions. Don't offer any info.
Good luck, PM me if you have any questions.
Expect to pay a lot more for auto insurance, property tax, fuel, and utilities once you get settled.

Make sure you have the proper Alaska credentials for your medical specialities before moving up. It took my son over 2 months to get his Alaska RN license after he was hired.

If you are serious about the move, then make sure you land in Alaska prior to 31 December. You will be glad you did as far as the PFD is concerned.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
Biggest thing you can do is slow the F down between Whitehorse and Glennallen.

This will save your trailer and keep you from having a wreck.

chasewild

WKR
Moved up from CO in 2021. If I could do it over I would:

1. Buy a truck, and sell it up here.
2. Sell all the small household crab and buy it again up here, and don't use a moving company.
3. Rent for 6 months to a year and search for a place you like.
4. Burn all your preference points in other states.

Probably some other smaller things I would do as well, but those are top of the mind.

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
Safety minute: You can see some severe low temps coming up in the winter and most hotels in the coldest towns will have electrical plugins for your vehicles block heaters. I would suggest installing them if not already equipped; you will want them in AK anyway. You dont need battery heaters, transmission heaters, and cab heaters like in Fairbanks but block heaters are a must in my opinion.

I also suggest having survival gear in your vehicles in case you break down or slide off the road and have to spend several hours/overnight in your car. Snow pants, parkas, sleeping bags, mittens and hats, and maybe even a small stove/jet boil should be handy and not buried under a ton of boxes/big screen TV.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Bring a positive attitude and open mind! Leave any down south bro dude attitude you may or may not have please.

The suggestion of a v nose toy hauler is a good one. That'll either save or make you some money down the road.

Other than that you'll be in a city down the road from a giant city so you can get what you need here. It'll take a bit to figure out exactly what you want/need anyway. The list usually gets long and expensive!

Last edited: