Moving sight housing vs pins

cgill54

FNG
Hey all, trying to get my bow a little more dialed in before the hunt comes. Recently watched Gohunts Trail Kreitzers elk prep series and the second episode he talks tuning. In this episode he puts a piece of tape horizontally on his target to track where arrows are hitting for pin adjustment and puts a piece of tape vertically for windage adjustments. Can anyone explain what the different is between moving your sight housing vs individual pins are? For example if I’m hitting a little high at 20,30,40 and so on would it be better to sight the pins in or bump the housing up? Obviously want to move and sight in each pin I’m just having a hard time understanding why you would need to move your sight housing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
Your sight will tell you if you need to move the housing. For example, if you are trying to sight in your 20yd pin and it’s 2in low you can move the pin. If it is 2ft low you need to move the housing.

Depends on where you want your pins in your housing.

Shooting a moveable sight, even a multi-pin, I want the pin I'll be using the most in the center of my housing usually.

Even shooting fixed pins I don't like having my top pin too high. Generally I position where I want my pin in the housing, then move the housing to set top pin, or possibly the center pin, then move the rest of the pins to where they are.

If for some reason all your pins are off equally, I'd probably move the whole housing. But check your peep first, I'm betting it moved, or you have some cable creep that has changed cam timing.

OP
C

cgill54

FNG
Depends on where you want your pins in your housing.

Shooting a moveable sight, even a multi-pin, I want the pin I'll be using the most in the center of my housing usually.

Even shooting fixed pins I don't like having my top pin too high. Generally I position where I want my pin in the housing, then move the housing to set top pin, or possibly the center pin, then move the rest of the pins to where they are.

If for some reason all your pins are off equally, I'd probably move the whole housing. But check your peep first, I'm betting it moved, or you have some cable creep that has changed cam timing.

So if I want my pins higher in my housing I would move my sight down? And vice versa if I wanted them lower? I got my bow back 2 weeks ago and the first thing I did was move my housing but not I think I need to move my pins because I’m hitting 2”-3” on some pins and 1”-2” on others. So moving sight housing is more for pin alignment in sight housing?

So if I want my pins higher in my housing I would move my sight down? And vice versa if I wanted them lower? I got my bow back 2 weeks ago and the first thing I did was move my housing but not I think I need to move my pins because I’m hitting 2”-3” on some pins and 1”-2” on others. So moving sight housing is more for pin alignment in sight housing?

Yes, moving the hole housing down will mean you need to bring the pins up in the housing.

Depending on how you actually shoot, moving the housing around is to get the alignment you want with pin orientation. If you just center your pin in your peep, the alignment of stuff isn't as important. I prefer to align housing and peep, but it's why I'm careful about pin placement in the housing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always set the housing adjustment to keep my center pin in the middle of my sight ring. Then I adjust individual pins to where they need to be. I use 7 pin sights, so my 50 is my center pin right in the middle.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Or if your how is sighted in you have a sight tape and maybe you have not shot for a little bit and when u start back up your a couple inches high or low at 20 or 30 you can just move the housing a tiny bit. As long as your poundage or draw length is the same your pin gaps should stay the same so shouldn’t change the rest of your pins or tape.