Moving out East (VA or WV) and I need a pep talk…

bluumoon

WKR
man I about spit out my drink when you said “pepperoni rolls!!” We used to get them at the BP station near Mt Storm, every damn year.

brings back some good memories. Ha!
My grandmother has them waiting for me every time I come home. They are also a staple in my elk hunting day bags.

Where are you?
West side of Scranton.

prop taxes vary depending on location land and materials but I would say to expect about 2% of market value Of your home. You are also going to have +1% city income tax in some places. Higher in others.

OXN939

WKR
I live just north of Richmond, and i would avoid northern VA at all cost.

I'll ninth this or whatever it is. NOVA blows, honestly. I'm 31 and I hope I never end up there again in my life.

The Shenandoah valley in western VA has good hunting. That and the Eastern Shore would be the two places I would look- good Sika and Whitetail hunting on public.

Bunch of spot burning going on in this thread....

I was on the phone today, bitching to the guy about traffic.

I was working in city limits, it's a half hour commute home with one traffic light. Too many damn people anymore. Gotta watch what you do at the light...

FB_IMG_1632664490759.jpg

Gotta look make sure it ain't Karen.

To OP,

I wouldn’t be apprehensive about moving to WVA. I grew up in Western Virginia on the border of WVA. WVA is a beautiful outdoor paradise. Excellent white water kayaking or rafting, mountain biking, rock climbing. Already mentioned here, the bow only counties are rough rugged hunting but hold legit bucks for those that can gut it out. That will be the closest you’ll get to a Western hunt. Also mentioned here, hook up with bear hunters. Hunting bears behind hounds is just like hunting cats with hounds out West…Bad Ass!

Theres two downsides to WVA and you already have those covered. WVA has very low economic opportunities. And as a reflection of its economy, the educational system is lacking.

Good luck. I bet you’ll enjoy your time there.

First I've seen of that. Looks like there focussing on the more "metro" areas.

Yes, Lewisburg isn't exactly Metro, but they are trying to bring in talent that has left. I mean, honestly lots of WVA hasn't had great opportunity for employment. Many go off to school and never come back. Work from home might change that, tho I'd be pissed as a resident to have funding going to bring more people in.

renagde

WKR
As much as I want to move to a 50 acre plot out west where no one bothers me, the East Coast isn't terrible. I grew up in the PA/WV panhandle which was a great place. I now live in Southeastern PA. Yes taxes are high (although about the same as my family living in Lubbock) but the community is great and you're centrally located to pretty much everything. Short drive to Baltimore, Philly, and NY (god forbid you ever have to go there). Lots of hiking, public land and shore fishing. Private land hunting is hard to come by although a few days of helping a farmer put up hay or helping an older couple maintain their property goes a long way. Lot's of public land hunting available in the northwestern corner. Some massive whitetails get shot up there every year on public land. Similar to western hunting, most hunters don't stray far from the roads. We don't have fly fishing streams like Montana or Colorado but the Pine Creek area has some great fly only catch and release areas. Turkey hunting is great, especially in western PA where I hunt.

Properties and taxes along the PA/Maryland border are pretty low. That would be my vote, although West Virginia is beautiful.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
OP, I've lived in WV my entire life. I'd gladly fill you in on any questions you may have regarding opportunities in this state or surrounding states. PM me if you'd like.

Lots of accurate and some not so accurate info given in this thread already.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
To everyone who has offered their thoughts, thank you. This has been a tough decision for us, especially for me. It sounds like there are some good opportunities to get out and play in the dirt - it’s just different than what I am used to. My wife is going to let me go back west a couple of times a year to hunt, so that helps. For those of you who have offered PMs or a phone call - thank you. I’ll touch base this spring, once we get out there. I’ll happily buy you beer and learn about the area and ways to maximize our time out there.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
To everyone who has offered their thoughts, thank you. This has been a tough decision for us, especially for me. It sounds like there are some good opportunities to get out and play in the dirt - it’s just different than what I am used to. My wife is going to let me go back west a couple of times a year to hunt, so that helps. For those of you who have offered PMs or a phone call - thank you. I’ll touch base this spring, once we get out there. I’ll happily buy you beer and learn about the area and ways to maximize our time out there.
Im in Lynchburg VA- basically the middle of your too options unfortunately. But honestly I love it here- outside of one of the outdoor meccas (Utah, Colorado, ect) I can think of a place I would rather be- I have the Appalachian mountains to try to hunt (i still cant figure them out and always end up going back to my tiny parcel of private) there is a ton of rivers for fly fishing (which I am learning- always was a boat guy previously). Up in DC area your options are going to be more limited for sure- but a lot of areas in WV are going to be similar to what I have.
(ps in regards to realtor referral- im on the mortgage side of things so I can get you squared away there if you need anything- or just have any questions)
Honestly though even if you are only for a certain period of time there is plenty of ways to make it work.

Let me try to help a different way - Denver sucks, we just left and don't miss it. It's growing crazy fast, and with it is bringing all the crummy big city problems. Sure you're close to the mountains, but they're going to be super busy due to the huge number of people. Housing and cost of living is going up to the point where it's just absurd. We moved there with the intention of spending so much time outdoors and while we did enjoy our time there, the number of people and the politics made it undesirable over time.

I’d scrape martinsburg and look at either Berkeley springs or falling waters. Martinsburg has some serious development going on and it’s too busy for me. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I’m familiar with both md, and wv. Best wishes

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Cougar it isnt as bad as some people make it out to be here, there are places in Virginia and West Virginia to get away from the crowds and have a backcountry experience, PM me any time, I can show ya around where i live both in VA and WV and show u some places to hunt where u wont see anyone.

It looks like you would have ample opportunity to hunt Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia within short drives. Always got sika deer in Maryland too. Just take the cards you have been dealt and make your best hand. East coast hunting ain’t so bad. Also Pennsylvania had an elk draw. Just saying
You’ll likely retire before you draw an elk here in PA. Unless your insanely lucky…… or game commission….. but that’s none of my business 🐸☕