Move to MT?

It's so tough in MT. I guess all those teenage and early 20's hipster boys and girls in Missoula and Bozeman are just tougher than the average grown man outdoorsman.

If you don't want the guy to move to MT just say so, but let's be real it's not that hard of a place. If I were still living out west, I would want more hunters moving in rather than the Cali folks that were taking over Idaho.

Agree Brando. The exaggerations on how bad it is in Montana are pathetic. In almost 50 years have never, ever, seen it -40F for weeks, never experienced weeks of isolation, most summers have minimal forest fire smoke or a few weeks of it, etc.. There are exceptions to everything of course, like -49 at my house a few weeks ago and the smoke can get horrible, but people from Billings to Boise just deal with it.

Tens of thousands of people come here and adapt just fine even though I wish they wouldn't. I write it too much, but winters here aren't as bad as many places. We had a bunch of staff stuck in their homes outside of Lewistown for a few days 25+ years ago. It dumped about 3.5' in short order. The MT natives mentioned that it happens about every 10 - 15 years, it's no big deal, don't be dramatic about it and people from Buffalo, NY and the UP in Michigan deal with it all the time.

I hate the population growth, get bummed when there are more people in places I enjoyed myself for 30+ years of not seeing another human but can't blame anyone for moving here. I was fishing a bend in the Yellowstone close to one of the movie sets for River Runs Through It in '91 and had no clue how that movie and now Yellowstone would bring so many people here. Sucks but they're all making it just fine.

Beautiful area. Like others have said, a long trek from any services. Long, cold, lonely winters out there and no shortage of Griz. It’s wild country but that’s what makes it special.

I would want WY residency, not MT. Visit Montana but apply as a resident in WY.

An Iowan can handle either just fine.

Yup. Sure, we don't have mountains, elk, bear (in iowa), but all those are attainable in the driftless area.

People dream, and I don't blame them, of doing an Alaskan float hunt once in their life. That would be a truly amazing trip. 10/10 if you're into it.

Except yearly I can cruise up the river, into a tributary, bounce around for a bit, fish, head up into the bluffs, harvest a white tail. Pack it out to the boat, camp on an island and fish a bit more. Then cruise down river, load up and head home.

Yearly. For under $200. Or weekly (during season) if I wanted, just change deer to turkey, pheasant, squirrel, duck, goose, rabbit...

The grass is greener on the otherside, because that grass is nutured, looked after, tended to, they made the best of it.

With iowa changing its tax code, I'd give a year or 2 post last kid out, spend some serious time and be creative, be imaginative. Check out cabins in Wisconsin, Northern Minnesota, maybe grab a home base somewhere and a cabin in Montana and wisconsin.

If you do. Find a way to identify as a trans-resident, and reap the rewards of resident tags in both states!
Agree with all. I lived in this area the longest that I have anywhere in my life. The locals already can't keep up with housing costs. People moved in after retiring from Deere and other bigger cities. They build McMansions or overpaid for smaller places and expect a return on investment.

What is Iowa doing with tax code? If I ever get the chance I would move back to NEI, or the driftless area.

To keep on topic. We are throwing ideas around of moving from Central WI when I am done with change of career. She wants CO, front range, for the nice weather. I want lower taxes and higher income to cost of living.

Agree with all. I lived in this area the longest that I have anywhere in my life. The locals already can't keep up with housing costs. People moved in after retiring from Deere and other bigger cities. They build McMansions or overpaid for smaller places and expect a return on investment.

What is Iowa doing with tax code? If I ever get the chance I would move back to NEI, or the driftless area.

To keep on topic. We are throwing ideas around of moving from Central WI when I am done with change of career. She wants CO, front range, for the nice weather. I want lower taxes and higher income to cost of living.
I think by 2026, flat tax of 3.9%, graduated from now until then is my understanding

I'd say in 3-5 years it will be more like California than it already is. Place is getting trampled/ruined
Haha, I heard the same thing from my dad 25 years ago, he complained how all of CA was taking over.

Personally winter in the Midwest can easily be colder then in MT but the difference is it doesn’t last very long before decent weather comes back.

Last edited:
Haha, I heard the same thing from my dad 25 years ago, he complained how all of CA was taking over.

Personally winter in the Midwest can easily be colder then in MT but the difference is it doesn’t last very long before decent weather comes back.
I'd have to agree with that last statement. We get as cold, if not worse, but give it a week or less, it'll be back to 20s and 30s in no time

the source is the internet.....;)

based on:
blm protest attendance and # of organic farms. the woke eat organic it seems...

Last edited:
the source is the internet.....;)

based on:
blm protest attendance and # of organic farms. the woke eat organic it seems...
I must be woke...

Back