Mountain Rambler Bikini vs. Duplex

Dammlm

FNG
I currently have a BT1 and love it. The mountain rambler has caught my eye and I'm not sure if I want to put it on my bikini or get a duplex. What are your experiences with it either way? I thought about getting a duplex for the T1 and put the bikini on the lighter pack but worry about the the shelf loads or rifle bolt pushing through the bikini frame and creating a comfort issue. Opinions? Thanks guys.

I have the MTN Rambler on the Duplex and really like it for the amount I have used it. I am still leaning toward sticking with the Nomad since i love it. I never used the Rambler on the Bikini, but I will chime in anyway.

After using both the duplex and bikini for a few years... I sold the bikini and stuck with the duplex. Honestly, the bikini is a great frame... but for me it did NOT carry loads near as well as the duplex. It always felt less sturdy under all loads than the duplex. I noted no increase in comfort. I did not personally like the 3/4 inch webbing as it felt weak (i know it isnt) but it also rolled more and seemed less stable/more adjusting. I have never carried the duplex and said to myself "boy that extra pound is killing me."

After going back and forth and hauling big loads with both, I just didnt see myself ever bothering with the bikini. My goal on every trip I make is to come out heavy... so i used the duplex. I only liked the bikini on summer and pre season stuff because I was not going to be hauling meat and carried a lighter pack.

Just my 2 cents

Joe

OP
D

Dammlm

FNG
That's kind of what I was thinking too. Thanks for the input Joe.

OP
D

Dammlm

FNG
Can anyone else share to their experience with this pack? The good/bad or the great/so so. Thanks all.

I currently run an emr2, cargo panel, mountain warrior, and a HPG Highlander for my duplex. I've had the DT1, Dt3, Highcamp 4800 & 7000 at one time or another. Started out with the bikini and found the duplex more comfortable for me when loads go over the 75# mark. Loved the light weight, comfort, and better air flow of the bikini but just didn't care for it when I trained or carried heavy.

I had the Rambler for a short time and just didn't care for it. Too floppy, awkward, and prefer my cargo panel separate from a large bag. If I'm gonna CP and need extra storage I put either a large side pocket or the Highlander on it. But I prefer to run a bag or the CP but not the hybrid rambler.

elkhunt

FNG
I just have the Rambler and for me it's the perfect pack. It is the first kifaru pack I have owned and I have it on a duplex frame. Why I chose the Rambler was it is a small pack that I can expand on and has a meat shelf that I can carry a lot of different things in.

Rizzy

WKR
I have a Rambler on a Bikini and have day hunted with my shotgun in the scabbard. It works better than I though it would. The gun goes in and out of the scabbard pretty easily. I didn't have any problems with the gun hitting me in the back, but the gun felt like it makes direct contact with the top crossbar of the frame. This is what probably keeps it off your back. I would still recommend a duplex though. I just might get one myself ;)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I would say duplex just for the sake of nothing pressing you in the back like with a bikini

Having packed over a dozen animals out and used the Bikini frame for 2 years of standard backpacking I can say this was only an issue once when I loaded some caribou front shoulders into the Highcamp bag like a goober. ;) Granted that load was north of 125 pounds measured on a luggage scale back at the truck so for me nothing feels great at that weight anyways. ;)

I find the Bikini slightly more comfy than the duplex most of the time.

OP
D

Dammlm

FNG
Thank you all. It's always great to hear first hand experiences instead of assuming. It's helped a lot.