Mountain Pistols?

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Another S&W 329PD fan here. I like the reliability of a revolver. Lightweight and dependable. Not for plinking as it kicks like a mule but will serve its' purpose well if needed.

unm1136

WKR
Glock here, too. For cheaper practice for those that don't reload, a .40 S&W barrel from Lone Wolf can be had for about a hundred bucks. If you reload, the practice loads get easier/cheaper.

pat

Tiger Rag

WKR
Glock 20.

I'm no Glock cheerleader but they are reliable. Until someone else makes a reliable 10mm that is lightweight, G20 it is.

If you don't like the grip angle (like me), you can send it off to have the palm swell milled down to more of a 1911 grip angle. Gen 4's have interchangeable backstraps that might fit the bill to change the grip somewhat.....dunno for sure though, haven't fondled one yet to verify - but that's what I've been told.

bnsafe

WKR
xdm 45 compact with buffalo bore plus p full metal ammo while im hunting. critical defense plus p while im concealed.

S&W 329 for me! I enjoy carrying the .44 hardly know it is there and packs the big punch if necessary. 4 inch barrel and shoots pretty well. I have some good video footage of Aron shooting mine one handed when he had the bicep surgery. Definately a good laugh!

Mike7

WKR
Glock 20 10mm with Double Tap 200 grain WFNGC bullets for several reasons: compact and light weight for the amount of fire power, easily carried in an under the arm holster or on the backpack belt and still able to sit down with my pack on, just the right amount of weight to make it easily shootable, quick easy followup shots, will shoot with dirt and Western Larch needles packed into it, and best of all it can somehow be exposed to a week straight of rain without any rust (and more easily serviceable than a revolver exposed to these conditions). After using the comparatively crappy Beretta 9mm pistols in the military, I never thought that I would like a semiautomatic pistol in the field so much.

I think the next step up for me in fire power if I went to Alaska, would not be a 44 Mag, but instead a compact shotgun with slugs or a rifle.

desertcj

WKR
Glock 20 10mm with Double Tap 200 grain WFNGC bullets for several reasons: compact and light weight for the amount of fire power, easily carried in an under the arm holster or on the backpack belt and still able to sit down with my pack on, just the right amount of weight to make it easily shootable, quick easy followup shots, will shoot with dirt and Western Larch needles packed into it, and best of all it can somehow be exposed to a week straight of rain without any rust (and more easily serviceable than a revolver exposed to these conditions). After using the comparatively crappy Beretta 9mm pistols in the military, I never thought that I would like a semiautomatic pistol in the field so much.

I think the next step up for me in fire power if I went to Alaska, would not be a 44 Mag, but instead a compact shotgun with slugs or a rifle.

That's a huge jump from 10mm auto to 12ga slugs! Not a bad choice though for the big bears in AK. I don't really get the 10mm though personally, I prefer 45 auto for the larger diameter but if we are just talking about stopping bears then give me a 44 mag or 454 cusull or 460 Ruger or 500 S&W! I feel my 357 would highly discourage a bear, but I feel a bit under gunned if push came to shove.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
That's a huge jump from 10mm auto to 12ga slugs! Not a bad choice though for the big bears in AK. I don't really get the 10mm though personally, I prefer 45 auto for the larger diameter but if we are just talking about stopping bears then give me a 44 mag or 454 cusull or 460 Ruger or 500 S&W! I feel my 357 would highly discourage a bear, but I feel a bit under gunned if push came to shove.

A 10mm with underwoods 220 hardcast is at 1200 fps, a 45 isnt going to come close to that but i do agree that for a brown or griz i would still want something bigger.

Mike7

WKR
Theoretically the 10mm should have increased penetration and the numbers look pretty good (info from DoubleTap website below). Not as good of numbers for the 10mm as the 44 magnum or some of the other revolvers that you mentioned of course, but way more shootable and easy to carry in the lower 48, for me anyway. I was refierring to the 12 gauge, because I don't think that I would feel comfortable in parts of Canada or in Alaska while archery hunting & just carrying a 44 mag (this is in part based upon first hand stories that I've listened to where guides or hunting partners have dropped charging brown bears with shotguns or rifles pulled from a scabbard...maybe I scare too easily).

1)The hottest DT .45:
45ACP+P 255gr. SWC Hardcast 50rds. $48.19
This is the heaviest and deepest penetrating 45ACP load available anywhere.
Caliber : .45 ACP+P
Bullet : 255gr. Keith Style SWC Hardcast Lead
Ballistics : 875fps - 434 ft./lbs. - 5" bbl.

2) 10mm round I use and which seems to shoot really well out of the Glock 20 with excellent penetration:
10mm 200gr WFNGC Hardcast 20rds. $22.61
This is the load that you have been hearing about! This hardcast Wide Flat Nose gas - checked bullet will not deform on impact, and will create a large deep wound channel. Excellent for hunting or woods protection!
Caliber : 10mm
Bullet : 200gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hardcast
Ballistics : 1300fps/ 750 ft./lbs. - Glock 20
1105fps / 542 ft lbs at 100yds Glock 20

3) Highest ballistic coefficient:
10mm 230gr. WFNGC Hardcast 20rds. $22.61
The heaviest and deepest penetrating 10mm in existence! This hardcast Wide Flat Nose Gas - Checked bullet will not deform on impact, and will create a large deep wound channel. Excellent for hunting or woods protection!
Caliber : 10mm
Bullet : 230gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hardcast
Ballistics : 1120fps/ 641 ft./lbs. - Glock 20
1008fps / 519 ft lbs 100yds Glock 20

Ironman8

WKR
I think with either pistol or rifle, the bullet construction is the most important factor (well, right behind weapon reliability). Pistol calibers suck when it comes to terminal ballistics to begin with, so if we're talking pistols (and really even rifles for that matter) I want a bullet that is going to penetrate deep, expand, and retain mass if I'm facing a charging bear. I need to hit the CNS if I expect the real "stopping power".

That's why I mentioned earlier that I don't necessarily feel undergunned with a G19...as long as it's loaded with something like Speer Gold Dot. In a perfect world, I'd have my AR with bonded soft points. I know what I can do with a carbine, and I'd pick that over a pistol or shotgun any day of the week. That's just me though.

OR Archer

WKR
I carry a Glock 23. It's not meant for bears or cougars, just 2 legged varmints. I don't live or hunt in griz country so I don't feel at all under gunned. I see either of those two animals I'm reaching for an arrow in my quiver before I reach for my pistol.

MattB

WKR
I carry a .475 Linebaugh Freedom Arms in big bear country - similar to shooting a 12 gauge slug from a pistol in terms of projectile weight and velocity in a very packable form factor.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Check into the CM9, it doesnt have a matchgrade barrel or the nicer sights, but just as reliable as the PM9 for less coin. I like mine.

I pack a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 colt with a 4.6 inch bbl. loaded with 320 gr. hardcast lead @ about 1000 ft. per second. It rides in a Simply Rugged pancake holster on my waistbelt as comfy as can be. Hardly know its there. I got the idea for this load by reading John Linebaughs article on the .45 colt Rugers, but also from Randy Garret of Garret ammo. Garret loads for the .44 mag. & the 45/70 exclusively. His defender round was designed with the 329 pd in mind. His website has some good & convincing info for handgunners imo. His defender round is a 310 gr. hcl @ about 1020 fps if I recall correctly & it has dropped at least one griz from a 329 with a 2.5 inch barrel. Check it out.

Yup S&W 329 PD 44mag with 240 grain hollowpoints.
Light as a glock compact but lots more punch. Can put birdshot in it too.

Great gun.... terrible load if worried about big bears. Hollow points will not penetrate worth a crap on a skull. Especially at only 240 grains. I have read of hard casts and rifle loads deflecting off of skulls so my guess is a hollow point wouldn't stand a chance. If people are what you are worried about I guess the would work fine.

Joe

Ironman8

WKR
Great gunHollow points will not penetrate worth a crap on a skull. Especially at only 240 grains. I have read of hard casts and rifle loads deflecting off of skulls so my guess is a hollow point wouldn't stand a chance. If people are what you are worried about I guess the would work fine.

Joe

Hollow points that aren't bonded aren't worth a crap...big difference. (Not being argumentative btw)

Below link is a thread I did on another forum where I did some super scientific testing of different rounds. ;) They obviously aren't hunting rounds, but pay attention to the bullet construction and what each bullet does in the test. Hope you guys enjoy...it's pic heavy btw...

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=112461