Mountain hunting sidearm

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
G29 with G20 mags in a razco in Gbear country or if I feel the need. But I rarely pack it most of the time in WA or western ID.

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a XD .45 with custom loaded hardcast bullets in razco bino holster. I like the fact that it does not interfere with anything while archery hunting.

Practice is paramount when using any piece of equipment. More so when carrying a piece of equipment that could potentially save your life.

How many of you have a weapon mounted flashlight?

MattB

WKR
Gawd, we are a bunch of hunters…one would think we know by now its all about training…but every year guys use these backup guns with only a few rounds down the tube.
Totally this.

I shot a pistol class last weekend and one of the attendees was also re-qualifying for his CCW. He qualified but based on his shooting acknowledged he had not shot the pistol he carries everyday since his previous qualification two years prior. Crazy

MojaveJim

FNG
I shoot quite a bit. The recoil of a light 44 mag is something else. S&W 329PD also has an alloy strip down the back of the center of the grip. After purchasing the gun I had a flinch at first, I worked though it with a session of a few hundred rounds, but ended the day with a blood blister down the palm of my hand. That said I bought a G20 and plan on taking it this year in a Grizzly area hunt. So what I'm getting at is train with your choice. The 329PD is an awesome weapon but hard to shoot, I have a titanium 357 2.5" snubnose that's nice to shoot but is ported, also a FA 454 that's a handful but tame compared to the 329PD, but it's heavy & single action. Probably will look into getting the 44 ported & see if it helps, definitely like the reliability of revolvers, but will be using solids in all sidearms for bear defense.

I use my Sig XTen when archery hunting. I have a home made chest holster that I carry it in, fits behind my bino harness and can be drawn from there.

Dennis

WKR
In black bear country!

I carry either a S&W J frame Model 360 357 mag 3". Buffalo Bore recommends their Outdoorsman load in 38 Special with 158 grain Hardcast bullets in these lightweight revolvers. Gun has Crimson Trace green laser sight.

Second is Sig 365 XL with optic and light. 12 rounds of Buffalo Bore Outdoorman 147 gr Hardcast ammo.

Also carry bear pepper spray to use first or last. I like the motto "Two is One, and One is None""