Mountain House questions

husky390

WKR
I typically buy them when they are at Costco so usually have the 2.5 servings. If buying elsewhere I will buy the propack.

I do this as well. I wish they'd provide them in single servings as I'm sure as hell not going to re-seal it and "enjoy" it later.

IdahoElk

WKR
My heart feels like it's going to explode out of my chest when I use to eat a 2 serving meal,I'll spare you the latrine details,Ha!

xziang

WKR
Year before I would generally split a meal with the person I was hunting with. I can't generally eat a whole meal so this year I am going to take a small cooking container/mug and put some MH meal in there and then pour the hot water from the jetboil into that and cover it up with the lid or tin foil.

I could be wrong but from what I read you shouldn't cook with the jet boil, just use it to heat/boil water. (unless you have the pan that was previously mentioned)

boom

WKR
Idahoan instant mash potatoes from the grocery store. if you are solo, it is too much. but if you share..it is perfect with at double serviing of MH food. with stews it is perfect. it cuts that friggen saltiness of a MH meal.

and i buy quick cook, cous cous..game changer.

Mountain House and other brands of FD meals are my preferred dinners when I'm in the backcountry. At least...they're preferred until I've got a moose or caribou tenderloin to slice and cook. I always go with the 2-serving packages when buying. Sometimes I don't eat all of it and I discard the unused portion. I like variety and you can count on finding 10 different dinners when I'm on a 12+ day hunt. I tend to buy and try before committing it to my meal plan. I once tried a BP product which was so salty it was almost sickening...it tasted nearly dangerous. I contacted them and they were nice enough to send me a box of different meals to try. These days I might have FD meals from 3 or 4 different companies in my food kit. I don't experience any GI effects from them myself. It's not a bad thing to feel comfortably full before bedding down, and figure on a once-daily constitutional the next morning. Everyone's gut is different of course, and some might be too delicate or sensitive for such a manly meal. My daughter partly lived on ramen noodles in college. I've never eaten them and if I ever do...it will be a matter of no choice.
:)

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Keeping and then cooking bacon is the issue I haven't gotten past.

I cook up about 3lbs of bacon before every time I go out. It's my jerky. I throw it in a gallon ziplock and just keep it in my pack. I'm sure it will last over a week.......but it never does for me, as it's always gone by day 3.:D

325 wsm

FNG
Add some little peices of Jerky, parmesean cheese (powdered) and montreal steak spice.
After I have some fresh tenderloins etc I boil them in the required amount of water for a few minutes to make a broth. Pour the broth into the MH and then continue to cook the meat a bit in the pan or over an open fire if available.

I pack ribeyes frozen rock hard for my 1st or 2nd night just becase I can.

Last edited:

jdmaxwell

WKR
Just me.. But anymore I can't stand MH anymore..
After 10 days last yr in back country eating them I have sworn off them..

Making my own bags now with already mentioned ideas, like stove top stuffing, Idaho instant potatoes, ramen with chicken, tuna packs etc for my dinners..
Just my preference

Colberjs

WKR
I just discovered yesterday that Hi Mountain is making camp meals now. I picked up Cajun Red Beans and Rice to try last night. I boiled the water and poured it in the package. I zipped the top shut and turned it over to mix all the ingredients well and the top came open and pour 80% of it in the sink. What was left was a few beans and a little rice along with ALL the seasonings that had settled to the bottom. I added some more water and let it sit and tried it. If it had been intact it probably would've been pretty good. But as it was it was was very potent!!!

Yeah, I tried Hi Mountain last year during Spring bear and it's not the best. But for the price ($2.50 I think from STP), they aren't horrible. They're three servings and I ate the whole thing. Felt like I had a food baby after eating it. I like the cover though. uploadfromtaptalk1436640987362.jpg

KHNC

WKR
Butthole sammich will last over a month if you vacuum seal and use plenty of honey. Me and my buddy Jeff Ervin have both confirmed this. Jeff actually ate one two months old once .lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Butthole sammich will last over a month if you vacuum seal and use plenty of honey. Me and my buddy Jeff Ervin have both confirmed this. Jeff actually ate one two months old once .lol

I tried those and the toasted bread version a few years ago. I've decided there's only one real way to eat those. After preparing the bacon, put it in a ziplock bag and throw the rest of that stuff away. Then the bacon is still bacon and eatable. Otherwise I just end up throwing the whole thing away.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
I'm good with MH, my daughter and I keep,trying different ones at home to see what we like. Most with rice aren't for me. Harvest food works, well might as well pour water on the sawdust from the shop. I love noodles for lunch, I live in coastal BC a vibrant and diversified Asian community so have a fantastic selection. Stay away from Mr. Noodles and try and get stuff made over seas, particularly in Japan. Korean will be spicy. My current favourite is Mama brand from Thailand, if you like Thai food you'll love these. I don't drink all the broth which helps plenty on the salt.

I make my own granola mix with equal part quick oats and good store bought granola then add cut up mango, cherries, coconut and a scoop of protein powder. The MH breakfast skillet is one of my go too's, I now split it in half in the field putting half in a Baggie. Then I save the bag after rinsing to do the second half. Half with two flour tortillas part of a cheese slice and some Mickey Ds salsa packet makes two very tasty breakfast burritos

db7a7d5e701090b0e0cd9fd7df69bc58_zpsxs92ntyw.jpg
[/IMG]