Mountain House questions

What are butthole sandwiches??
As far as bacon, my local grocery store (Winn-Dixie) has packaged bacon that is not refrigerated. It is displayed on a rack in the area of the meat dept, but is definitely not refrigerated. I have never tried it, but it should be good to go for the backpack.

adirondak5

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for a better alternative try packit gourmet. http://www.packitgourmet.com/ great stuff with quite the variety.

Thanks for posting this , never heard of them before . Got the Cajun ranch chicken salad and the texas mesquite chicken salad , great stuff , nice tight packages , easy prep , gonna grab some more for the next hunt , a great breakup to the pb&j's for lunch

I am a fan of MH and own a jetboil you can be grubbing a hot meal in 3 minutes (including cool down)

just like regular eats you will have your preferences. ALthough I like all things food, if im in the sticks I want convenience and packabilty. Jet Boil and MH your good to go. I buy the over size ones and often finish them im 6 foot + and 175 .lbs

What kind of MH is that? Mine take about 15 minutes until its cooked and cooled enough to eat.

Shrek

WKR
Whatever the package says double it...tastes much better if you do.

This ^^^ and squish them around a couple of times while rehydrating to get it all even. The hard chunks are really off putting to me. Big chunks of egg that are still dry in the middle just ruin my breakfast burrito.

I'll say this, over the years I have tried about every way to eat something good in the backcountry. MH has come a long way and so have the others. Simple to fix, just boil water, don't have a mess to deal with and worry about bears as much, no clean up. They are not bad tasting at all and fill you up. Sure they may not be the great meal like home, if that's what you are looking for then stay at home :) I made up a bag out of the insulation bubble wrap that I put the MH bag in while it's rehydrating and do camp chores in the mean time. Fold the flap over and put it against something, takes up very little room in my pack and is light. Works great, keeps em hot

IMG_2011_zpsr4by5l5t.jpg

Last edited:

Tuscor

FNG
Interesting.........so much sniveling about, food NOT having the required taste and texture to entertain one's palate. It is food, it's purpose is to keep you alive, not produce euphoric orgasms of heavenly taste.

I guess it depends what's important to you. For some, food is fuel and thats it. For others (including me) having a good tasty meal that I can enjoy at the end of a hard day is part of the outdoor/hunting experience, particularly if I am out with another person. I like food - at home I like cooking. Horses for courses and all that.

I guess I'm in the minority...after a hard day of anything, most MH meals I've had taste sofa king good, I'd have eaten two!

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting.........so much sniveling about, food NOT having the required taste and texture to entertain one's palate. It is food, it's purpose is to keep you alive, not produce euphoric orgasms of heavenly taste.
Interesting post from someone whos handle is a type of food.