mountain goats hanging out with bighorn sheep

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
I experienced a blessing this year on the last day of our elk hunt while watching over a portion of a meadow. I was staring at this rocky peak and decided to use my binos and found about seven or eight bighorn sheep about 200 yards down from the peak to the right where it sorta flattens out. Most layed down facing south while one or more stood watch. I only have 10x42 binos so it wasn't the clearest images of them but sooper cool. Then, a couple minutes later, I saw two bright white mountain goats about 20 yards below them working their way up to join the bighorn sheep. One goat was bigger than the other. I guess I never thought about these two beautiful animals hanging out together. Is this common?

IMG_8601 Medium.jpegIMG_8600 Medium.jpeg

Jimss

WKR
The CPW consider mtn goats as second rate citizens here in Colo. There are a number of Colorado areas where both exist. Contrary to what the CPW may think, I’ve spent hours watching them and have never seen any negative interactions. Not saying, it doesn’t happen but they often just avoid each other just like deer often avoid elk. I have also never heard of mtn goats in Colo creating any disease problems that doesn’t already exist in wild sheep.

Mt Evans (BS or Blue Sky) is a prime example of where wild sheep and goats have mingled and survived for years.

With that said, the CPW do not like mtn goats and wild sheep crossing paths or living in similar home ranges. In fact, areas outside mtn goat units goats are usually culled. There is a gob of prime alpine country in Colo with few to no sheep where goats would prosper if given the opportunity.

Call goats invasive, but from what I understand there is also some proof that wild goats may have existed in Colo decades ago.