Most under rated piece of equipment

I'll say a GOOD first-aid kit- hopefully, you never need it- but when you do it could be the difference between life or death!

Trial153

WKR
A real, quality knife. It amazing to me how anyone can go into the backcountry with a soild knife.

Oil based chapstick:
1. Is a candle when combined with a q-tip
2. Emergency fire starter
3. Temp waterproofs small holes in tent, etc
4. Helps on high friction areas
5. Emergency sun screen
Of course works on lips too when windy.

What do you use?

Shemagh. It’s protection from the sun. Keeps you warm in the wind, keeps the sun out of your eyes when glassing, you can wet it down and use it to cool off. I have several from downrange I’m always wearing one when I hunt.

So I definitely see and have benefited from the practicalities of a shemagh. But, is there any way someone won't think I'm some wanna be operator if seen with one?

So I definitely see and have benefited from the practicalities of a shemagh. But, is there any way someone won't think I'm some wanna be operator if seen with one?
Who cares what other people think? I wouldn’t sacrifice a good piece of gear because of what a stranger thinks...

TheCougar

WKR

If someone sees me wearing it, I would get pissed that I didn’t hike in far enough! Yes, I suppose it looks “Tacti-cool”, but it is about practicality. It’s a lightweight piece of gear with multiple uses. Besides, you can make a shemagh out of a cloth that doesn’t make you look like SF. Or, true story, you can get a hot pink one. The picture below is from right meow, in the airport, as I return the “pink shemagh of shame” to my other hunting buddy who killed the smallest gobbler this year. There are three of us, and the guy who kills nothing or kills the smallest animal has to wear the pink shemagh on the next hunt. He has to wear it on his elk hunt and I’m going to kill a bigger bull so he has to keep wearing it! Bwahahaha!

ebed785cd505d70abf468d9532fd9dd7.jpg

All-natural, unscented liquid castile soap. Keeps the baselayers and undergarmets fresh so you dont have to take on the extra weight of spare clothes on a pack-in hunt. Can also use it for a quick scrub-down.
(I don't know if i would consider it a piece of equipment but it is a must-have in my pack)

ElkNut1

WKR
Danny, most hunters do not call nearly enough, no doubt they are easily intimidated once they hit the elkwoods! Most are cow callers as it's a safe sound. There are many hunters that do not even carry a bugle as they feel they just run bulls off!

I hunt a lot during the month of Sept on OTC public lands & I rarely hear anyone bugle!

ElkNut/Paul