Most Important hunting thread you will read this year.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
“The most important hunting thread you’ll read this year” ended with asking where should I hunt? Haha jk

Sorry, had to bring laughter into this thread. Sorry to hear about your eye. I hope there’s some kind of medical remedy available to you in the near future!!

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
SOAB! I believe it. A guy just can't make this stuff up. I read a study on athletes acclimatizing to high altitude. It concluded the best acclimation came from sleeping a few nights in altitude more than exertion in altitude.

def90

WKR
Diabetes is tied directly to all forms of vision loss, I would chalk it up to the diabetes more so than the hunting trip, though the trip may have compounded an issue that was already developing.

It sucks having severe bluriness in one eye. Years ago I got a jalapeno seed in one of my eyes while cooking and it messed up my eye for about 4 months. I felt like I was drunk everywhere I went, short of wearing an eye patch there wasn't much I could do other than wait for it to heal.

On a project when I was working we ended up on the southern Peru border at 17,500 ft. I live at 7000 ft and had no problems however others from lower elevations suffered immensly.

In subsequent testing and research, we found that under those conditions the body increased the amount of red blood cells in the system to compensate for the lack of oxygen. It just takes a while for your system to adjust to the adverse conditions. Also is why you feel so good when you return to lower elevations - briefly.

There might be things you can take to help in the adjustment but a day in camp prior to exertion is resonanle. Having enough iron in your system is certainly a concern.

Our neighbor has even had cows with elevation sickness and they were being transported just 5000 ft between birth elevation and summer grazing. Another brought up all his young bulls to verify no genetic tendancy toward that problem.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Also is why you feel so good when you return to lower elevations - briefly.
I'm the opposite. I feel like crap at lower elevations. I live at 6300 feet, and every time we take a trip to sea level, I'm dragging all week. Every time I get up to 11k+ feet it's like I just took an adrenaline shot. Coming home from high altitude elk camp is a drag......literally. I told my wife once that we should move to Leadville at 10,200 feet, but I'm sure after enough time my body would feel the same as it does at lower altitude.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of unknowns, no doubt. Yes, the doctors have advised against high altitude exertion. I travel a lot with work. When in Denver it does not bother me to exercise, but if I go to Red Rock Canyon which is 6,400 feet it starts to bother the “bad eye” so it acts like a “gauge” to some degree.

My anatomical variations are that the blood vessels in that eye are “slightly” smaller than normal. But, all ophthalmologist who have seen the scans say they are not so small that they would have advised against the activity had I been examined pre-hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
what elevation do you live at? Denver?