Most Important hunting thread you will read this year.

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
It has taken me a couple years to come to grips with the fact that ignorance as to certain health risk associated with elk hunting may have cut my elk hunting short by 10-15 years or at least severely limited it. Do not make the same mistake I made.

In 2020, I lost nearly all of the sight in my left eye while hunting elk in New Mexico at about 8,500 feet. My optic nerve died due to a lack of oxygen. I had suffered an Nonarteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy.

You can read about it, and should. In summary, the optic nerve dies due to a lack of oxygen in your blood. It happened on the first day of the hunt. I did not feel anything, which is normal for NAION. The second day of the hunt, I thought my left lens in my binoculars was not clear. After trying to clean it many times, I closed my right eye and tried to look through my left. It was then that I knew something was horribly wrong.

A trip to the ER and an ophthalmologist over the next two days revealed what had happened, and worse yet there is no surgery or anything that can be done to correct the vision in that eye.

There are a few risk factors and I hit several, diabetes and sleep apnea are two. I don’t know what caused my episode, but I do know I was 52 at the time and in very good shape. I was not Lance Armstrong, but I could keep up with most anyone when chasing elk. I had hunted elk for 30 years all over the country. The only thing I did different that trip was I did not give myself an extra day before the hunt to acclimate to the altitude. I had hunted much higher altitudes many times. Why it happened this time is unknown.

My advise to you is to be aware of the condition, take an extra day to acclimate when hunting altitude and don’t push yourself too much. That was probably my biggest problem, I liked to push myself while elk hunting and it cost me. I will say, never had I felt better than the day it happened. Just be careful out there.

As for me, well I would like to try a another elk hunt, but I am going to limit myself to 5,500 feet. I have been to that altitude since then, and have been fine. I am just unwilling to risk going higher. I have max points in Wyoming and 17 or so in Arizona. If I can find places to hunt in those two states that are low elevation whether private land or not, I suspect that will be my last two elk hunts.

If you know of any low elevation hunts in those states - primarily bowhunting - I would appreciate the information. Again, take care of yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
It has taken me a couple years to come to grips with the fact that ignorance as to certain health risk associated with elk hunting may have cut my elk hunting short by 10-15 years or at least severely limited it. Do not make the same mistake I made.

In 2020, I lost nearly all of the sight in my left eye while hunting elk in New Mexico at about 8,500 feet. My optic nerve died due to a lack of oxygen. I had suffered an Nonarteritic Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy.

You can read about it, and should. In summary, the optic nerve dies due to a lack of oxygen in your blood. It happened on the first day of the hunt. I did not feel anything, which is normal for NAION. The second day of the hunt, I thought my left lens in my binoculars was not clear. After trying to clean it many times, I closed my right eye and tried to look through my left. It was then that I knew something was horribly wrong.

A trip to the ER and an ophthalmologist over the next two days revealed what had happened, and worse yet there is no surgery or anything that can be done to correct the vision in that eye.

There are a few risk factors and I hit several, diabetes and sleep apnea are two. I don’t know what caused my episode, but I do know I was 52 at the time and in very good shape. I was not Lance Armstrong, but I could keep up with most anyone when chasing elk. I had hunted elk for 30 years all over the country. The only thing I did different that trip was I did not give myself an extra day before the hunt to acclimate to the altitude. I had hunted much higher altitudes many times. Why it happened this time is unknown.

My advise to you is to be aware of the condition, take an extra day to acclimate when hunting altitude and don’t push yourself too much. That was probably my biggest problem, I liked to push myself while elk hunting and it cost me. I will say, never had I felt better than the day it happened. Just be careful out there.

As for me, well I would like to try a another elk hunt, but I am going to limit myself to 5,500 feet. I have been to that altitude since then, and have been fine. I am just unwilling to risk going higher. I have max points in Wyoming and 17 or so in Arizona. If I can find places to hunt in those two states that are low elevation whether private land or not, I suspect that will be my last two elk hunts.

If you know of any low elevation hunts in those states - primarily bowhunting - I would appreciate the information. Again, take care of yourself.

Wow. I’m so sorry this happened to you. I’m pretty anal about my vision due to having had a RD at age 20, and I’ve never heard of this. Thank you for posting.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting. I had never heard of that condition.

There were five (5) doctors in camp with me, and none of them had heard of it either. I believe had I used a day to acclimate it would not have happened, but I may be wrong.

MattB

WKR
Very sorry to hear. One of my stepbrothers has had that happen to both of his eyes (one was 3-5 years after the other) and is now legally blind.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
There were five (5) doctors in camp with me, and none of them had heard of it either. I believe had I used a day to acclimate it would not have happened, but I may be wrong.

Fack. I’m sort of glad I didn’t know about it. I used a fackin* oxygen/altitude tent to prep for my first altitude hunt. Who knows what I would have done to prep to avoid that. Totally expect it’s a low probability BUT such a huge downside has my attention.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Really sorry to read about this. One never knows what is in store for them, but without warning it can happen in a split second. I sure hope you are able to continue hunting.

I’m no doctor, but I’m not understanding your attributing the issue to altitude, not acclimating ect…
If your blood oxygen was so low due to such environmental conditions then why did you not have issues in both eyes? Why were you not tired and out of breath? Why did you not have altitude sickness? Ect…

It sounds like something more related to diabetes than altitude and lack of acclimation before exertion.

I’m no doctor, but I’m not understanding your attributing the issue to altitude, not acclimating ect…
If your blood oxygen was so low due to such environmental conditions then why did you not have issues in both eyes? Why were you not tired and out of breath? Why did you not have altitude sickness? Ect…

It sounds like something more related to diabetes than altitude and lack of acclimation before exertion.
In my opinion, the altitude may have contributed to it but his underlying diabetes is possibly the bigger, if not biggest, risk factor he had (admittedly we don’t know your complete medical history or other possible risk factors present at that particular time).

Diabetes causes microvascular complications frequently seen in the kidney, nerve endings and the retina. The optic nerve is at high risk here. Add on top of that sleep apnea which causes periods of no oxygenation and then being at altitude which puts you in a low oxygen environment. Definitely not a common occurrence but if you start connecting those dots it does put you at more risk. Sorry to hear you had this happen. Don’t rule out a free range West Texas Elk hunt. Low elevation, no tags to draw, just need a NR license and a Private land owner/ranch to hunt on. It’s a little pricey but there are some monster elk out this way.

I’ve never heard of that.

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm type one diabetic and have so many questions. Are you on bp meds? Do you have any anatomical variations in that optical nerve? From the research I've done in the five minutes since reading this, it seems like those are two additional risk factors. I'm also curious if you had any minor retinopathy prior to this? Also, it sounds like you may or may not be at risk of this in the other eye. Did the doc ask you to avoid high altitude or take any additional future precautions? Really seems like there are a lot of unknowns. Real sorry to hear you have to deal with this. Sucks life can deal someone a curveball like this. Will pray you don't have any future complications or anything.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

rob86jeep

WKR

Why do you think a day to acclimate would have changed anything?

Bluehawk

FNG
Wow! like previous replies this is something unheard off. Thank you for posting! I've almost collected enough points to draw a rocky mountain goat tag. This will be something to consider when I do make the ascend!

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Very sorry to hear. One of my stepbrothers has had that happen to both of his eyes (one was 3-5 years after the other) and is now legally blind.

Wow! So sorry, they say the risk to the other eye increases slightly for a period of about 5 years. What were his risk factors if you know.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider

I felt good, but trust me I was out of breath many times that day. I also pushed myself hard that day. As you know, the higher the altitude the less oxygen there is that is available to you.

The term Ischemic means all causes are not precisely known. In my case, examination of the blood vessels in my left eye were much smaller than those in my right. Therefore, they were far more prone to a “stroke” than those in my right eye. Hope this answers your questions.

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I'm type one diabetic and have so many questions. Are you on bp meds? Do you have any anatomical variations in that optical nerve? From the research I've done in the five minutes since reading this, it seems like those are two additional risk factors. I'm also curious if you had any minor retinopathy prior to this? Also, it sounds like you may or may not be at risk of this in the other eye. Did the doc ask you to avoid high altitude or take any additional future precautions? Really seems like there are a lot of unknowns. Real sorry to hear you have to deal with this. Sucks life can deal someone a curveball like this. Will pray you don't have any future complications or anything.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

There are a lot of unknowns, no doubt. Yes, the doctors have advised against high altitude exertion. I travel a lot with work. When in Denver it does not bother me to exercise, but if I go to Red Rock Canyon which is 6,400 feet it starts to bother the “bad eye” so it acts like a “gauge” to some degree.

My anatomical variations are that the blood vessels in that eye are “slightly” smaller than normal. But, all ophthalmologist who have seen the scans say they are not so small that they would have advised against the activity had I been examined pre-hunt.

MattB

WKR
Wow! So sorry, they say the risk to the other eye increases slightly for a period of about 5 years. What were his risk factors if you know.

At the time when he was first affected he was very overweight (100+ pounds) and was a drinker. Not sure where he was at when the second eye was impacted as he was living in Mexico at the time. His family tends to be heavy and his dad was a diabetic, not sure if he is.

I have never heard of such a thing and I'm sorry you had that happen to you. I wonder if having an blood oxygen sensor could provide enough coverage for you to feel confident going to high altitude again?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
With asthma I generally take an oximeter to elk hunting camp with me just to keep tabs on my O2 readings.....especially after Covid. Generally the first day I get up to camp at 10k-11k altitude, my O2 readings will be 90-91. By day two they're usually around 94, and then I'm good to go. So a day to acclimate does make a difference on O2 levels.