Most expensive thing you lost while hunting

Justin (Raz) Rasmussen

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Wedding ring while duck hunting.
Everything else when I had to get rescued off a mountain after throwing my pack on up on a ledge and hauling myself up after it. That was the end of the line and I sat on that ledge for 8 hours awaiting rescue. Cliffed out and mentally exhausted.( I took a wrong turn at albuquerque.) pack/rifle/range finder/ binos....the whole lot. Probably still sitting up there. Only thing that came down with me was my pants/ shirt/ boots/ phone.

bone collector 13

FNG
Classified Approved
Dad lost the mag to his tikka somehow out of the gun, only realized it was gone when he went to chamber a round on a 180inch mule deer last year, never found it and saw nothing but spikes and 2 points the rest of the trip

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I had my quiver get ripped off my bow while it was strapped to my pack. I was in a hurry to get out of a nasty stand of deadfall during a big wind event. Popped up on the ridge and assessed the situation only to find my quiver missing. I went up and down the hill several times looking for the quiver with no luck. Lost six Easton Injexions and Iron Will broadheads.

I was using a cheap trophy ridge quiver with a pivot style mounting system--I am certain a limb grabbed it and ripped it off. I have since switched to a Tightspot and haven't looked back. That sucked!!

Back when they first started making radios that had GPS built in that would allow you to see where the other radio was on the screen we had a pair and I lost one. Unfortunately the GPS was not accurate enough to guide me to the radio and my dad was pissed. We were in the frank church at the time hunting bear. Back then they were about 500 bucks per radio.

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
$500 prescription sunglasses in the duck swamp for me. I was sure that goose was dead. When I bent over and grabbed it by the neck, it threw a right hook that sent my shades flying. My buddies thought that and the ensuing scuffle were great.

rickyw

FNG
A ruger American with a vortex viper hst, alpacka mule packraft, rangefinder, and an aqua bound paddle. I thought I might lose myself as well but I was able to get out of the water

Last edited:

Gen273

WKR
A ruger American with a vortex viper hst, alpacka mule packraft, rangefinder, and an aqua blade paddle. I thought I might lose myself as well but I was able to get out of the water
Do you want to share the story? That sounds like it had to be an extreme experience.

A ruger American with a vortex viper hst, alpacka mule packraft, rangefinder, and an aqua blade paddle. I thought I might lose myself as well but I was able to get out of the water

Float hunt gone wrong? Was the alpaca not stable enough or what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickyw

FNG
Do you want to share the story? That sounds like it had to be an extreme experience.
Float hunt gone wrong? Was the alpaca not stable enough or what happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a bit of a long story. But to summarize. I was scouting a drainage with a raging glacial fed creek. I was crossing the creek at its mouth where it braids and dumps into the Matanuska (Alaska). It had been very hot outside. I had my packraft rolled up and loosely connected to my pack. I went to wade the main channel of the creek because I figured I could just walk it and wouldnt need the raft again until I crossed the matanuska. I got halfway out and the current was so strong it took the gravel from under my feet and swept me downstream to the matanuska (not a good river to go into). I was able to get out but I had to abandon my pack and everything else except my pistol, fire kit and cell phone. It all floated down the matanuska. I eventually was able to get flown out, and we found my pack 3 miles downriver. The packraft, paddle, and rifle had all come off. The rangefinder was waterlogged and destroyed. But those Barney’s packs are tough and it was fine and so was everything else once it dried off.

Lessons were learned.

Swarovski 10x42 EL and Leica rangefinder 😕 (Thanks to COVID)

Went on Shiras moose hunt, a couple buddies hunted with me and I caught Covid from the first one! I was pretty fatigued on the 6th day when I got my moose with a bow and symptoms emerging , had my bino pack on in all the pictures etc. took care of the moose then I can’t remember much after that trying to get home with all the travel and borrowing trucks and sleeping at family houses and airport flights, then getting home and quarantined in my RV for a week 😷🤒.

Needless to say a month later when I was looking for my bino pack to go shooting it was no where to be found and I have no idea where it could be. I tore everything apart looking for it and called everyone I knew… all to no avail 😩

Still has never shown up 3.5 years later 👎🏼

I hunted with an acquaintance for a few years when I first got into hunting. Over the course of 3 trips he lost his rangefinder (1st trip), prescription glasses (2nd. trip), and finally his rifle on the 3rd trip. We had both harvested bucks and once we got the meat back to my Ranger he leaned his rifle against a tree while we loaded the bags of meat into the bed. We gathered up all our stuff and headed back to camp which was about 5-6 miles away. As we were unloading meat and gear he noticed his rifle was missing and we hurried back to where he thought he left it. When we got to the spot there was no rifle. So we slowly drove back to camp looking on the sides of the trail and road all the way there, with no luck. For weeks I prodded him to call the White Pine county Sheriff to see if it was turned in, but he was convinced that another hunter found it and kept it. I told him that most people are honest, and once again told him to call and ask. The next day he called me and said that another hunter found it and reported it to the sheriff and gave his contact info if anyone called looking for it.
On that same trip he accidentlly threw away all my dirty hunting clothes when we stopped at a roadside dumpster to toss our camp trash. That was the last time we hunted together which sucked because if anything he was reliable.

vas942

FNG
A few years back…My best friend and I were rifle Elk hunting and he stopped to shed some layers about 30min before dark. We went about 300 yards through broken timber before he realized he left his rifle at the stop point. I thought we would be spending the next day trying to locate it, but we were able to find his basically camo painted browning hells canyon leaned up on brush. My guy was sweating it hard. The OnX tracks were funny to look back at.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Fortunately, I've only lost a hand full of knives, each being pretty inexpensive considering what others have posted!

The last one I lost, I found a group of bulls feeding across a canyon. I threw down my pack to get my BR2500 out (which was obnoxiously large, so it had to be in an outer pocket of my pack rather than a coat pocket). Stupidly, I had my Outdoor Edge razorlite in the same pocket and didn't notice it fall out. Eventually, the bulls moved off into timber before I could take a shot. I ended up killing a bull the next day and when I went to grab my knife, it was nowhere to be found. Fortunately, I had an extra knife in my pack, but it was slow going compared to the razorlite!

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I was setting up for Cold Bore Challenge shot 1 tonight and went for my Outdoorsman's bino adapter for the tripod which resides in the call pouch of my bino harness and alas it was not there.

I have been meaning to drill a hole in it for a proper lanyard for a while...

I guess I'll be drilling a hole in the new one.

This one came back to me.

How often does that happen?

It was right where I dropped it!

Here it is next to the replacement that I rigged up for non-loss.

IMG_5964.jpg

Happy 4th of July.

About 20 yrs ago I was hunting some public land in NC. I shot a doe right around dark. I had a back pack full of crap, a bulky climbing stand, a brand new bow that I had about $1000 invested in. I was dragging the deer by hand, bow in one hand backpack and climber strapped to my back. After about 100 yds of dragging, I decided to DITCH MY BOW, so that I had 2 free hands. That’s right, my bow. Not the crappy $75 climbing stand or $15 Walmart back pack. My pride and joy brand new bow that I had worked all summer to pay for!!

Got back to the truck. It’s dark, I had no GPS and was pretty unfamiliar with the area. And my $1000 bow was laying somewhere 1/2 mile back. I spent 4 hours looking for my bow. A fully camo bow that I had just left LYING ON THE GROUND!!

I was about to give up and cry when my flashlight caught the glint of the fiber optic sight. Man was I was one happy dude!!