Most expensive thing you lost while hunting

amassi

WKR
An Argo 4 shotguns and 21 Drake mallards into butte creek when the amphibious Argo decided to quit its day Job
I had a beat up patched and duct taped waders at the time that saved my life because they couldn’t fill up with water.
Once the high water receded we trolled thousands of yards of that creek with all sorts of attempts from crank baits, grappling hooks, anchors and could never find the dang thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Buddy lost the hunting knife he'd inherited from his Grandpa in Wyoming back in 2016. Not a super expensive blade, but irreplaceable. He'd left it on the bed side of the UTV after we packed my buck out and he cleaned the knife a little (carbon steel). He realized it back in town and we drove 3.5 hours back across the unit and ended up finding it lying in the remote 2 track we'd drove out on. It was as lucky as you get. He's kept better track of it since.

My biggest screw up was leaving my rangefinder on the ground after shooting a hog from prone in Texas. The guide moved the truck and drove over it. It did not survive. That was many years ago.

Fishing I've lost a couple jon boats. One when the creek I catfish flooded from a big rain upstream we didn't get at home. The other someone took an axe to the tree it was chained to and stole it.

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
Two gold wedding bands. One fell off taking gloves off in a tree stand and the other tossing out decoys on a MS river oxbow. Gave up wearing wedding rings but still have the same wife almost 30 years later.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I'll put this in the "almost" category, and thank God for it.
I got a call while on a WY mule deer hunt, my first day in. My son was going to commit suicide but talked to my wife about it at the last minute. I flew home on the first flight out of Denver. Spent one month sleeping in his room with him. Worked through things and he is now a thriving college student studying to become a HS teacher.
Almost 3 years later and I can say "almost" and talk about it. Depression and anxiety are life long issues, but my son has gotten his life back, and I no longer worry about getting that call when I'm in Wyoming hunting in October.
I pray that none of you have to experience it.
However, if you do, I'm here for you.

TreeDux

FNG
Christmas 1996 my Momma gave me 1 dozen flambeau mallard decoys. 2 weeks later I was hunting the edge of Pamlico sound with some buddies. We had a borrowed Jon boat and every decoy we could get our hands on. Ultimately we set up a diver spread on a point and didn’t need my mallards. That bag was placed in the marsh just a few feet in front of the boat. One of the guys walked over and got the boat while everyone else picked up decoys. He didn’t grab my bag of decoys and by the time I realized it I was hours away with no real way to get back. For whatever reason one drake got left at home that morning and I still have that one today.

OP
duckhuntr

duckhuntr

FNG
I'll put this in the "almost" category, and thank God for it.
I got a call while on a WY mule deer hunt, my first day in. My son was going to commit suicide but talked to my wife about it at the last minute. I flew home on the first flight out of Denver. Spent one month sleeping in his room with him. Worked through things and he is now a thriving college student studying to become a HS teacher.
Almost 3 years later and I can say "almost" and talk about it. Depression and anxiety are life long issues, but my son has gotten his life back, and I no longer worry about getting that call when I'm in Wyoming hunting in October.
I pray that none of you have to experience it.
However, if you do, I'm here for you.
Damn dude, that's deep. Glad to hear that ended the way it did. Puts things in perspective for sure, all this other lost gear can be replaced.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
Hell this fall I feel like I should leave something in the woods just to fit in with y’all! Outside of my sanity I am batting perfect lol.

Will_m

WKR
Remember the terminator bugle by primos? There’s one on the side of a mountain in the Bob right now. Feel confident that it is the only elk related thing in 5 square miles to this day.

whaack

WKR
$10,000 insulin pump. I’m T1D, took my pump off changing pants at the truck. Set my pump on the tailgate and then drove off never to be found again. Insurance doesn’t cover a post medical device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
Heres another that was lost temporarily... My sister and I were hunting bucks and also had cow elk tags. We had a pack mule along just in case. I actually started out riding this mule that day but I switched and I put my saddle on my mule and the pack saddle on him. He was tired and had to be drug down the trail. When we got to the top at a fork in the trail I tied him to a post that marked the trail. The post felt solid and he was tired. I didn't think he'd go anywhere. And there wasn't a good place to tie him at the spot. I rode out to a point to glass and my sister went the other way to glass for 20-30 minutes. I think we had heard an elk bugle and we were looking for the herd. We met back up and the pack mule was gone. We looked for tracks and glassed for him. I finally glassed him up. He was hung up in some thick trees and stuck.
2308564d0bd5fb65d925019367f6e382.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
I lost a Rhino Garmin 550 on a steep hillside in Idaho when i tripped and took a tumble down the hill. Didn't realize it was gone fore quite awhile until i went to Radio my partner and tell him i was going to bail into a remote basin and not be back at camp until after dark. ... I really didnt need it for navigation but not being able to let buddy know about my change in plans was a pain. made a loop up the hill looking for it and didnt find it. If anyone found it... its got some good waypoints save on it

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Anyone find some black diamond carbon hiking poles in 71, I’d love to have those back.

Stalker69

WKR
While “ hunting “ to lose my virginity at 14. I met a girl, and now it’s 40 years later, and has costed me, and still is, a lot of money. Lol. I wouldn’t trade it for the world though.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I lost 2 wedding rings hunting. One time while gutting a deer and the other after a shower in a cabin. Didn't realize that one till I was 1/2 way home. Owner said he searched but couldn't find it. Almost happened a 3rd time when gutting a deer with my son during a youth hunt. Luckily my wife found it in the frosty, tall grass. These days it's either no ring or a cheap silicone one.

The worst was a Weatherby vanguard, sub-moa synthetic stock with a Leupold scope. I went from a rifle deer hunt in one state to a slug gun only hunt in another state. We were checked by a warden the day before and he checked every gun and gun case in my friends truck. Next day I took it out of my truck and put it in the cabin before I left for my stand just in case. The last day of the season we were all leaving. Got 1/2 way home and realized I had left it at the cabin. Called the owner and checked. It was gone according to him. No one in our group mistakenly took. Either someone from the other group that was also hunting there and in the cabin took it or the cabin owner was less than honest. Ugh...never got it back.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Went to hit the river the other day to do some early fly fishing.... I knew it was too early and I knew the path in would be super thick.... I didn't listen to myself. While working through the brush my brand new Costa's fell off my head.

Searched for an hour and couldn't find them... Whenever I have cruddy sun glasses they last forever, whenever I buy awesome ones, this happens. Damn it...

Crusader

WKR
This was a good one. I was rifle hunting in Vermont. I got back to my truck and I was pretty beat. I leaned my gun up against the tire of my truck like a dumbass and then took off my pack and stand. I know I shouldn't have done this and yes the gun was unloaded with the mag removed. I put everything in my truck and drove away. About 5 minutes down the road I looked in the back seat and realized I FORGOT MY GUN! I hung a U turn and raced back to where I was parked. It was gone. I felt sick to my stomach. About 30 seconds later a guy pulls in and asks if I lost a rifle. He seen how crazy I was driving and figured I had to be the genius that left the rifle behind. I was really happy to get the gun back. Unfortunately I drove over the gun. It was a Remington 760 pump and the action and barrel were both bent. It was a great lesson.
A LONGGGGG time ago I began my deer hunting career using a Rem 742 hand-me-down from my Dad. That rifle was such a piece of crap, cost me multiple deer due to misfires or jams. I should have left it under the truck tire and had my Dad run over it!

On a couple of occasions several years back I'd lost two knives in the woods following field-dressing deer at dusk. I've remedied that since by only using knives with blaze orange handles. I've also lost a couple of turkey caller strikers. So not bad overall, especially compared to some of the losses you guys have had.

88man

FNG
I lost a 44mag ruger super redhawk stainless steel revolver in Pa which it fell out of a shoulder holster while making a deer drive in very very thick swampy cover.

I also lost a leica 1600 range finder in Arizona hunting elk which it must have slide off my belt when doing a #2 in the cedars and being in a major hurry.

I also lost a wife and a girlfriend along the way while hunting way to much