Most durable MPVO for 500yd AR-15

VaultBoy

FNG
Hey, everybody, I hope you're well today. I'm looking for some advice on my next scope. It will be going an a 16" AR-15 and will be used mostly between 50-500yds. I've been running a budget Primary Arms 1-6 Nova and want to step up to something better with more magnification.

Requirements
-Less than $2000usd used/new
-Exceptionally durable
-1-2.5x on the low end and 8-12x on the high
-Less than 26 oz
-Fairly large objective lens for maximum light transmission
-Illumination
-Locking turrets (if noncapped)

Do I need...
-SFP or FFP?
-Parallax adjust?
-Capped or uncapped turrets?

I initially considered the PA GLx 2.5-10x44 but I'm unsure on the durability of it. I've been eyeing the NF NXS 2.5-10x42 pretty hard. I also looked into the VCOG 1-8x28 but it's quite heavy and I'm not sure it would be to great in lower light conditions. Looking forward to recommendations from those more experienced.

eric1115

WKR
Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 FFP is what I have on my want list for a similar AR.

23 oz
Capped windage
Zero stopped elevation
Bomber by all accounts I've seen
$1400±
Illuminated reticle

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
What cartridge are you running in your gas gun? Is this a banging steel/paper or varmint gun? Have you ever had a FFP scope? Illumination required? Thermal clipon in the future?

If shooting steel out to 500 a 2.5-10 nxs is hard to beat for a lightweight relatively compact gas gun scope but no locking turrets, althoughive I've never heard of any problems with nightforce turretsmoving under relatively normal conditions. Anything above 10x I'd opt for FFP. I have two SPR/varmint gas guns setup for specific needs. My 556 wears an atacr 4-16x42 mil xt and my 6 arc wears a nx8 2.5-20 mil xt. Adjustable parallax and illumination is a must with FFP. SFP you can cut out the illumination depending on your needs. Tree reticle is my preference depending on what the rifle will be used for. Fast follow up shot are way to easy witha gas gun and tree reticle.

Unless you really need 26oz or less scope I'd recommend bumping up a few oz and getting a lot more features and durability.

FFP
-Atacr 4-16x42 goldilocks of gas gun scopes. It's just perfect for me.
-Nx8 2.5-20x50 works great with clipons. Tighter eyebox touchy parallax. Get a newer production model.
-Leupold mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 lightweight looks great on a gas gun. Locking turrets and huge price increase with illumination. Some noticeable chromatic aboration. Reticles are meh and it's a leupold.
-Vortex strike eagle 3-18x44 budget option if you want to try a FFP scope. Locking turrets, illumination, and a decent tree reticle. A good value but it's a vortex. I do have one and it's quite good.

SPF
-nxs 2.5-10x42 I only have experience with this SFP on a gas gun. Great size, weight, and durability. Reticle is visible throughout the mag range although slightly outdated. You'll be at top magnification to use the subtensions correctly. 10x is not always best for shoot small targets or tiny groups on paper.

16" 556, surefire mini, atacr 4-16x42, and an acro p2. Just north of #11 unloaded with bipod.
Compress_20240725_162541_1058.jpg

OP
V

VaultBoy

FNG
What cartridge are you running in your gas gun? Is this a banging steel/paper or varmint gun? Have you ever had a FFP scope? Illumination required? Thermal clipon in the future?

If shooting steel out to 500 a 2.5-10 nxs is hard to beat for a lightweight relatively compact gas gun scope but no locking turrets, althoughive I've never heard of any problems with nightforce turretsmoving under relatively normal conditions. Anything above 10x I'd opt for FFP. I have two SPR/varmint gas guns setup for specific needs. My 556 wears an atacr 4-16x42 mil xt and my 6 arc wears a nx8 2.5-20 mil xt. Adjustable parallax and illumination is a must with FFP. SFP you can cut out the illumination depending on your needs. Tree reticle is my preference depending on what the rifle will be used for. Fast follow up shot are way to easy witha gas gun and tree reticle.

Unless you really need 26oz or less scope I'd recommend bumping up a few oz and getting a lot more features and durability.

FFP
-Atacr 4-16x42 goldilocks of gas gun scopes. It's just perfect for me.
-Nx8 2.5-20x50 works great with clipons. Tighter eyebox touchy parallax. Get a newer production model.
-Leupold mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 lightweight looks great on a gas gun. Locking turrets and huge price increase with illumination. Some noticeable chromatic aboration. Reticles are meh and it's a leupold.
-Vortex strike eagle 3-18x44 budget option if you want to try a FFP scope. Locking turrets, illumination, and a decent tree reticle. A good value but it's a vortex. I do have one and it's quite good.

SPF
-nxs 2.5-10x42 I only have experience with this SFP on a gas gun. Great size, weight, and durability. Reticle is visible throughout the mag range although slightly outdated. You'll be at top magnification to use the subtensions correctly. 10x is not always best for shoot small targets or tiny groups on paper.

16" 556, surefire mini, atacr 4-16x42, and an acro p2. Just north of #11 unloaded with bipod.
View attachment 741115
Running M193 because it's fairly cheap. I'd run something heavier like 77gr but It's too damn high. It's primary use is steel/paper and the occasional coyotes. I've never had a FFP scope. Illumination would be nice but I wouldn't say required. I think I'd build a dedicated thermal upper before getting a clip-on. From what I've seen the clip-ons don't perform as well.