Most common things people pack they dont need??

Seems like some guys go way overboard with medical kits. Mine is tape, super glue, a couple pain pills, and that's about it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's pretty dependent on what kind of hunting a guy does. A decent little first aid kit and the knowledge of how to use it can be the difference between coming out early and staying for the rest of the trip.

Last year we got a little beat up early in the hunt. We had three dead mountain goats still on the hill, so bailing wasn't really an option and nothing was life threatening. Nevertheless, we used nearly all of contents of two kits to take care of ourselves for the next four days.

Sure, we could have done toughed it out with tape and pain pills, but the healing process of what was otherwise fairly minor injuries would have been seriously compromised in the long term. Totally worth the weight.

Of course that only counts if a guy has some knowledge. I alway recommend a wilderness 1st aid class for backcountry hunters. Being able to deal with back country trauma (falls, broken bones, major knife cuts, stick in the eye), can be pretty critical on occasion when professional care is 8 hrs or more away.

Yk

That's pretty dependent on what kind of hunting a guy does. A decent little first aid kit and the knowledge of how to use it can be the difference between coming out early and staying for the rest of the trip.

Last year we got a little beat up early in the hunt. We had three dead mountain goats still on the hill, so bailing wasn't really an option and nothing was life threatening. Nevertheless, we used nearly all of contents of two kits to take care of ourselves for the next four days.

Sure, we could have done toughed it out with tape and pain pills, but the healing process of what was otherwise fairly minor injuries would have been seriously compromised in the long term. Totally worth the weight.

Of course that only counts if a guy has some knowledge. I alway recommend a wilderness 1st aid class for backcountry hunters. Being able to deal with back country trauma (falls, broken bones, major knife cuts, stick in the eye), can be pretty critical on occasion when professional care is 8 hrs or more away.

Yk
What do you have in yours? I have a hard time seeing what else is essential. Barring personal needs (special meds, allergies, etc) I feel like I can do most things with what I carry.

What do you have in yours? I have a hard time seeing what else is essential. Barring personal needs (special meds, allergies, etc) I feel like I can do most things with what I carry.

I carry:

1 small (5.5 oz) pack of stuff for minor wound care. Enough band aids, gauze, antiseptic wipes, tape, alcohol swabs, etc to clean out minor stuff and keep it infection free for 4-5 days. Hate to stop the show because something stupid got infected.

1 small commercial sealed trauma pack (4.5 oz) with gloves, quick clot, trauma pad, triangle bandage, gauze, etc. If I break into that, we are heading out ASAP.

1 bag with enough IB, Aleve, Vicodin, and ankle wrap to hopefully let somebody limp out on a sprain.

Whole thing combined is about 12-13 oz. If I have a partner I'll be with, usually only one of us will carry a trauma kit.

Others will do more or less, but that's the minimum I'm comfortable with.

Hunter6

WKR
Last year I should have left my bow and arrows at home. I would have saved a lot of weight for my September hike.
Hopefully this year I can put it to use.

I usually pack to much food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me last year on a elk hunt was a heavy jacket for cold nights. But, I didn't have a way to hold enough water for the hot days and stalking. That is a must next time.

TK

Nuke Man

WKR
Good stuff guys. I've got my gear laid out and mostly organized in pullouts. I probably have too many clothes, knives and food! I'm trying out a Havalon this year, I also have my 2 fixed blades and a pocket knife plus a sharpener. I was planning on bringing a tshirt and light pants to sleep in. Do you guys just sleep in your hunting clothes if it's cold and skivvies if it's hot? The food thing, I can't bring less!

colonel00

WKR
If it's cold, I'll sleep in my base layers. Really cold and I can put on a puffy layer. Usually though, I'm pretty warm blooded so I am in underwear and maybe a merino T.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is Rokslide, we need a gear list including brand of toilet paper and how many squares you are taking. :D

Toilet paper.;) I see it on way too many gear lists. Unscented baby wipes for me. You can pack them dry and add water later, or just carry them wet.....that's what I do.

If anything, I tend to bring too little food. I'll go as long as I can and then pack out and resupply.

I always hear about guys bringing alcohol. Not sure why you'd bring it, a sit does nothing for you that can't wait until the hunt is over. To each their own.

IdahoElk

WKR
Good stuff guys. I've got my gear laid out and mostly organized in pullouts. I probably have too many clothes, knives and food! I'm trying out a Havalon this year, I also have my 2 fixed blades and a pocket knife plus a sharpener. I was planning on bringing a tshirt and light pants to sleep in. Do you guys just sleep in your hunting clothes if it's cold and skivvies if it's hot? The food thing, I can't bring less!

Yes,I just sleep in my clothes with a beanie on if it's cold,most of the time I'm in my merino boxers.

IdahoElk

WKR
Toilet paper.;) I see it on way too many gear lists. Unscented baby wipes for me. You can pack them dry and add water later, or just carry them wet.....that's what I do.

If anything, I tend to bring too little food. I'll go as long as I can and then pack out and resupply.

If it gets below freezing those wipes stay in the bottom of my bag at night,reaching for frozen wipes pre dawn is no way to wake up!

The Havalon and one lightweight fixed blade should be enough. Bring some extra havalon blades. You'll probably snap a few on the first animal you use it on.

OP
Jtelarkin08
Good stuff guys. I def could cut some weight with my sleeping bag and pad but don't want to spend the money right now. I def think I can cut some weight here and there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Antler getter,

"even had a guy want me to pack 2 55 gallon drums 22 miles back so he could bury them and stash a bunch of his gear at my campsite for when he back packed in the next year..."

Thats a good idea! How much do you charge for that?!

Who are these people?

Seriously though, I often wonder how many of us could get away with less tent.
Definitely less food. But I never dare. I always end up packing dehydrated meals back out.

charvey9

WKR
I always have left over food, which isn't necessarily good. I just don't eat enough and it catches up with you.

As also already said, too many clothes are common. Other than socks and underwear, one of each item type to complete your layering system is usually is good enough. However, you have to know your environment and whether or not taking that "heavy" puffy or soft shell will make a difference. I have left it behind on some hunts, and paid the price. Packed it on others, and never needed it.

Less common items I see are stuff like cases for your knife, GPS, rangefinder, etc. Throw like items in a pullout instead to keep everything organized. I don't even pack the caps for my binos. Straps and cords that are longer than necessary, cut them (or replace with lighter cordage). I know the weight savings is minimal, but it all adds up and it is just easier having less "stuff" when you are fiddling around looking for something.

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
Too many clothes (always worry that mine will get wet and I'll need another set)
Extra batteries for gps, phone, rangefinder, flashlights
Too much extra ammo (but what if the scope gets knocked off?)

I pack too much too often, but I can rationalize it all is the bad thing....