Moose weather - what is warm?

OP
ddavis_1313
Concerning the organ meat discussion:

I've never saved moose live even though I like beef calf liver.

One of my hunting partners is a DVM and MD and while breaking down a very large old bull, he was giving us some anatomy lessons that were all very interesting. I was removing the kidneys for a native friend and the discussion then turn to liver flukes and we decided to open the liver. After a knife slash, the liver internals began to ooze and flow slowly......WTH? Doc figures that the uric acid from the bulls drinking cow urine probably has an adverse effect on the liver and may be a reason the bulls life span is half of the cows life span.

It's a plausible theory to consider as you fry some liver in camp.

Funny that you mention the cow urine. The first chapter on this page in Alaska’s Wolf Man seems to support your hypothesis…

662ee0455c165260b6e5a4a6c28e568f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Concerning the organ meat discussion:

I've never saved moose live even though I like beef calf liver.

One of my hunting partners is a DVM and MD and while breaking down a very large old bull, he was giving us some anatomy lessons that were all very interesting. I was removing the kidneys for a native friend and the discussion then turn to liver flukes and we decided to open the liver. After a knife slash, the liver internals began to ooze and flow slowly......WTH? Doc figures that the uric acid from the bulls drinking cow urine probably has an adverse effect on the liver and may be a reason the bulls life span is half of the cows life span.

It's a plausible theory to consider as you fry some liver in camp.
I've reached a similar conclusion over the years, Vern. Early in my moose hunting years I always took the liver. We would fry some in camp, and I do really like the liver sausage that Indian Valley makes. However, I've become very selective for exactly the reasons that you noted, and I usually leave the liver.

I will still likely keep a healthy looking liver of a cow or younger satellite bull who has been only watching rut behavior before being repeatedly chased off by the dominant bulls...or maybe maybe an early season bull.

I've got to close by saying that moose meat is absolutely wonderful to eat...no kidding guys, it is excellent! Take good care of it in the field and it will be truly enjoyed for the entire year to come.

Last edited:
OP
ddavis_1313
Wife shot her 7 WSM today. And like I assumed the other night (as did she), she pulled the shot from being rushed by the range master. Even though it was only 1/4” high and 1/4” right, we wanted to make dang sure.

Well, she sat down, had a rock solid rest, took her time and squeezed one round off at 100 yards.

No need to do anything but hunt at this point. I can’t dial it any closer than that.

0d28cdbbba3bbf347c170476392885af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slickhill

FNG
Interesting.
I gave up keeping caribou liver after about the 4th one I saved only to find it full of flukes and other creepies.
I love liver, always eat the liver first out of deer and elk now that I’m back in the L48. But in my years in AK I only found one moose liver that I’d considered edible.

lseanm

FNG
You’re asking questions no one has the answer.

Some of the biggest bulls I’ve seen have been mid day running around when it’s over 70.

Hunt sun up to sun down. Don’t spread your scent all over. Keep a quiet camp. Take naps. Keep a quiet camp. Take books to read. Keep a quiet camp.

Some of the best moose hunting is the beginning of sept, some years it’s better than the end of the season.

Good luck, don’t be a rockslide Randy and be worried about miles walked and elevation gained. Don’t spread your scent around and keep a quiet camp.

In Ontario, have found that if the temp gets above 50 degrees for a daytime high, you're going to run into trouble outside of the early morning and late evening hours.