Moose Jaw Retailer closing

Hmm I didn’t know Walmart sold them. I go to the one in Bentonville on occasion just to look around because I can’t afford anything in there lol

BLJ

WKR
Wasn’t aware that dicks owned them. I liked shopping there. Bad deal.

I also didn't know Dick's Sporting Goods bought them. I like Moose Jaw. Great customer service. I hope they hang in there.

I also didn't know Dick's Sporting Goods bought them. I like Moose Jaw. Great customer service. I hope they hang in there.

I just got an email the other day my rewards balance was expiring, didn’t know that was a thing. Wonder if that’s a new policy?

Macintosh

WKR
The face of retail is changing, has been for decades. Galyans, sport chalet, sports authority are just a few big-format outdoor stores that have shut for good in the last few years. Ems went bankrupt twice and is now a shadow of even its former semi-functional self. Rei sold its entire hq campus and shut a bunch of stores, laid off like 30% of its workforce over a couple rounds of layoffs. That moosejaw was owned by walmart, and then sold to dicks, should come as no surprise, consolidation of retail into fewer and fewer retailers is the name of the game. Its the entire reason nearly all the major new brands are entirely or almost entirely direct to consumer. Even backcountry.com is a junkshow internally compared to a few years ago as they have been forced to cut staff, reduce product offering, etc. Any retailer not named amazon that isnt basing their business on a high level of added value and limited-distribution products had better watch out, it isnt slowing down.

Dented

WKR
I travel a fair bit during hunting season. I wander back country and smaller towns. Every place I go, I find local shops, often really small, and I can always find something to buy. It may not be a lot, but I'll absolutely drop cash locally. Yeah, I order crap from Amazon. And moosejaw. And others. But the older I get and the more I wander, the more committed I am to leaving my cash in some little local place. I can damn near navigate around the country by mom and pop fishing and hunting shops. And I really like that.

Walmart. Amazon. Ass Pro. They've sucked all of the fun out of buying gear.

Eyeballing stuff in some small joint, bullshitting with the help, getting local info, looking at the trophy pics on the bulletin board. I've had some great conversations and met some wonderful people I never would have gotten to know had I not taken the time to just hang out for a bit. It's been worth every penny I've left in those towns. I've never walked away from a big box retailer with the same sense of engagement.

def90

WKR
There is a Moosejaw in Boulder. went in there once after seeing their website thinking it would be like their website but in reality was a tiny boutique shop with yeti tumblers, hiking books, a couple pairs of boots and teeshirts. Disappointed.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
Just went to the site since Dick’s fully took over this month. Still some deals, but nowhere near the deals that they used to run. And the experience seemed bland. I regret not using all my rewards by the end of January.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
There is a Moosejaw in Boulder. went in there once after seeing their website thinking it would be like their website but in reality was a tiny boutique shop with yeti tumblers, hiking books, a couple pairs of boots and teeshirts. Disappointed.
Well it is Boulder after all...

Reactions: OMF