Moose Fixed Blade Broadhead?

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
What's everyone's thoughts on a good fixed blade for moose? I got lucky this year and drew a tag and want to try to kill with a bow if possible. Top priorities are durability and penetration.

Trophy Taker shuttle T's are probably my #1 prospect but I'd like to hear any suggestions.

Thanks!

Trial153

WKR
Shuttle T will work fine. I am running 125 grain solids for my moose hunt this fall

Fire_9

WKR
If durability and penetration are your top priorities, I'd look at a 2 blade single bevel. I shoot abowyers and really like them. Nothing wrong with shuttle t's though

OP
WesternHunter

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
If durability and penetration are your top priorities, I'd look at a 2 blade single bevel. I shoot abowyers and really like them. Nothing wrong with shuttle t's though

Strickland's Helix BH is another option that I was looking at that fits the bill for single bevel. One of my friends killed a bull elk with one and it did a number on him for sure!

Ditto, killed a bull moose last year with a 52# longbow and Abowyer Brown Bear single bevels. Broadhead exited under off leg.

Vtsheddog

FNG
Don't let anyone kid you, I guide moose hunters every year during the archery season, any quality made Broadheads will do the trick, in fact, I've seen a rage broadhead used multiple times and it worked as well or better than any fixed blade. That said the most important thing will always be shot placement. I myself would choose a fixed blade, I shoot the trocar. Remember, if you hit high lung there may not be much blood right away and they can run pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have a ton of experience with other brands because I tend to stick with what works for me and that is the QAD Exodus. This year I've taken a moose, grizzly, and black bear with the 100 grain heads. Each shot was a complete pass through, each animal was a short recovery. With the moose it broke through a rib on exit. I couldn't be happier with them.

4ester

WKR
I used 100 GR Slick Trick Standards on the Shiras now hanging on my wall. Must have been good enough.

Complete pass through at 45 yards.

>>>-------------------->

Last edited:
OP
WesternHunter

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a ton of experience with other brands because I tend to stick with what works for me and that is the QAD Exodus. This year I've taken a moose, grizzly, and black bear with the 100 grain heads. Each shot was a complete pass through, each animal was a short recovery. With the moose it broke through a rib on exit. I couldn't be happier with them.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I ended up getting the QAD Exodus 100 grain Swept broadheads yesterday. Excited to try them out! I like the blade thickness and short length on these. Lack of availability on some other heads helped steer my decision as well but either way I'm rolling with the Exodus for now! Hope to get some Moose blood on them sooner than later. Season starts Aug 30th but I think I'll be headed in around the end of September/ Early October. Can't wait!

Kilboars

WKR
Trocar really fly great for a fixed blade if your bow is Broad head tuned and your form is great when suffering from Moose Fever:) I'll broad head tuned my bow but shoot a two blade mechanical Wasp Jak-Knife with a 2'' cutting surface. Really fly's like a Field Point and fantastic penetration.

NM Elk 2015 Bowhunting Elk in New Mexico - YouTube

Kilboars

WKR
07edfe814f7bc943c7c60546029b12da.jpg

Kilboars Hunt Club

Wojo14

WKR
I'm leaving next Friday to Canada for my first moose hunt.
I will be using a 200g Kodiak single bevel head with a 100g insert.
I will be using a longbow.
-Wojo