Moose down.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My 16yo daughter shot her CO ML cow moose Sun evening around 7pm on day two of her hunt. Sunday evening was overcast and drizzly. It was getting dark in a hurry and wet, so I worked very quickly just getting it quartered leaving the hide on until later. We were loaded and back in camp (an hour away) by 10pm, and then skinned everything out before hanging. Good thing we took the quick breakdown route too, because as I was loading the last quarter into the truck it started pouring. I tarped it all and we drove slowly back to camp barely able to see with all the rain and now darkness. Big fat cow, she was pretty psyched for her first big game kill. And fat is an understatement. She had 3" of fat even covering her backstraps. Never seen anything like it.

We tried the 340gr Hornady ELD-X Bore Driver's this year and it did the job. One shot through the lungs and she went down quickly. There was a lot of blood all around the area she went down in. Most blood I've seen from a ML shot. She would have been easy to track if we had to.
IMG_2120.jpg

OP
5MilesBack

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Heading back up tomorrow for her ML cow elk tag, now that the priority tag is out of the way. Now I can have some fun. (y) Putting another moose in the freezer is all fine and dandy, but trying to find them is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

AKDoc

WKR
Wonderful father-daughter memory for life...well done dad making it happen...and great shooting by your daughter!

Priceless!

OP
5MilesBack

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Six years ago my middle daughter got a ML elk tag when she was 16. The similarities are interesting. Their birthdays are both in Nov and a week apart. They both got these tags at 16. The first day of ML season started on the 9th of September both years, and they both made their kills the 2nd evening on the 10th. They were both their first big game kills. They both shot their animals right at 7pm on that 10th day. Just interesting. It was still daylight when I took the elk pic, but it used the flash and made it look like night. But it was the best pic I got.
100_3603.JPG

Heading back up tomorrow for her ML cow elk tag, now that the priority tag is out of the way. Now I can have some fun. (y) Putting another moose in the freezer is all fine and dandy, but trying to find them is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
What area are you in? I know where a nice little herd is hanging out.

TXCO

WKR
Fantastic! Congrats to her!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk