Montbell Alpine Down Parka First Thoughts

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
Hm, With all the Covid shortages I wonder if they have nothing to Clearance this year. I think it was either June or July that I bought my AL. I've been wondering the same thing as I am hoping to pick up their down pants, but dont want to spend $200

fj40mike

FNG
Thanks OP, how's the 20denier ballistic nylon holding up durability wise? Do you have feathers coming out of it? I'm looking at this jacket and the montbell permafrost light which has a 30d ballistic nylon shell (but less down), and the kuiu super down pro which is 30d stunner stretch nylon. I'm not really seeing much info about stunner stretch nylon, but guessing that it is not as strong as ballistic nylon...

Vandy321

WKR
Thanks OP, how's the 20denier ballistic nylon holding up durability wise? Do you have feathers coming out of it? I'm looking at this jacket and the montbell permafrost light which has a 30d ballistic nylon shell (but less down), and the kuiu super down pro which is 30d stunner stretch nylon. I'm not really seeing much info about stunner stretch nylon, but guessing that it is not as strong as ballistic nylon...
The super down pro is not in the same warmth category as the alpine. It's only 5oz of fill...and it's $100 more.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
The super down pro is not in the same warmth category as the alpine. It's only 5oz of fill...and it's $100 more.
And the Montbell Alpine is Baffle contruction. But the kuiu SD pro has treated down and so does the SG Grumman. Does anyone know why Montbell doesnt use treated down?

And the Montbell Alpine is Baffle contruction. But the kuiu SD pro has treated down and so does the SG Grumman. Does anyone know why Montbell doesnt use treated down?

Did you see the Western Mountaineering vs Kuiu sleeping bag review thread? Think Ryan Avery did it.

BLUF: The WM utilizes untreated down, the Kuiu has treated down. Performance in moisture was not as disparate as you might think. Go check it out.

Vandy321

WKR

It adds to the cost.

I carry a gore-tex shell, treated down is not a selling point to me, especially when I'm paying more (kuiu) for what I consider an inferior jacket overall.

fj40mike

FNG
I'm not contesting the greater warmth of a box baffled and higher fill jacket. Whatever jacket I end up with, I'd like it to hold up more than a couple seasons without feathers coming out everywhere. No, I'm not brush busting with it and I usually carry a rain shell in my pack. My down jackets get a lot of use though, they're just so darn handy. I'd like my next down jacket to be a little more durable though, which is why I'm looking at jacket fabric. Maybe I'll start a thread with what in the world is ballistic nylon?

At any rate, I don't think I've heard anything negative about the Montbell jackets, other than the down isn't treated, and the benefits of that seem to be debatable...I'll have to check out that bag review.

Vandy321

WKR
I'm not contesting the greater warmth of a box baffled and higher fill jacket. Whatever jacket I end up with, I'd like it to hold up more than a couple seasons without feathers coming out everywhere. No, I'm not brush busting with it and I usually carry a rain shell in my pack. My down jackets get a lot of use though, they're just so darn handy. I'd like my next down jacket to be a little more durable though, which is why I'm looking at jacket fabric. Maybe I'll start a thread with what in the world is ballistic nylon?

At any rate, I don't think I've heard anything negative about the Montbell jackets, other than the down isn't treated, and the benefits of that seem to be debatable...I'll have to check out that bag review.

I get it...was just pointing out its not really a comparison (kuiu SD vs MB alpine).

Afterall, what good is the outer material on a puffy if it doesn't have enough fill to keep you warm? Kinda defeats ths purpose of a puffy if you ask me.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the Montbell Alpine Down Parka in size U/L color black because of this thread. I think it is a better product than the Kuiu SD Pro and the SG Grumman. I will report back after I use it this Fall.

sneaky

"DADDY"

You won't find many down jackets with heavier face fabric because heavy face fabrics won't let the down achieve full loft. Be like running 85 octane in a Ferrari and wondering why it feels off. You won't see high fill power down in heavy face fabric jackets, it would defeat the purpose. Lower fill power jackets will be where manufacturers use heavier material.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Montbell has been the best value in down in my experience. I own a few pieces and zero complaints.

oenanthe

WKR
Montbell makes really good stuff. I've got a 6 oz. anorak and a 16 oz. parka and wouldn't get rid of either. And, as someone else pointed out, because Montbell flies below the radar a little you can occasionally find really good deals.

JasonP

FNG
The SG Grumman is amazingly warm for being so thin, but I had to send it back because I really need an XXXL, which SG doesn't make. I'm having trouble finding any Montbell jackets in XXXL or almost any brands for that matter. Kuiu seems to be the only brand carrying that size regularly. I have the Kutana rain shell in XXXL and with a 150 Merino wool shirt, a Habit polyester shirt and FL Klamath on the Kutana doesn't have much room at all. No way I could fit a puffy even of I lose the Habit shirt. Anyone have any other suggestions?

sneaky

"DADDY"
The SG Grumman is amazingly warm for being so thin, but I had to send it back because I really need an XXXL, which SG doesn't make. I'm having trouble finding any Montbell jackets in XXXL or almost any brands for that matter. Kuiu seems to be the only brand carrying that size regularly. I have the Kutana rain shell in XXXL and with a 150 Merino wool shirt, a Habit polyester shirt and FL Klamath on the Kutana doesn't have much room at all. No way I could fit a puffy even of I lose the Habit shirt. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Goosefeet Gear will make you a custom goose down jacket, but it won't be cheap. Same with Nunatak, which might take 2023 to get anything from them. They're 12-14weeks out and are moving shop in May and don't know how long that will take to happen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have recent experiences with these jackets? I’m trying to decide between the alpine light and the alpine down. Also how is the green color on the alpine down?

sacklunch

WKR
I stopped reading the OPs 8 paragraph review when I got to "I've only worn it in my house".

I own the alpine, for the price and weight you won't find a warner puffy. Hardly anything at $300 has box baffles, let alone 7oz of fill. If you dont think box baffles matters hold a standard sewn baffle jacket up to the light.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped reading the OPs 8 paragraph review when I got to "I've only worn it in my house".

I own the alpine, for the price and weight you won't find a warner puffy. Hardly anything at $300 has box baffles, let alone 7oz of fill. If you dont think box baffles matters hold a standard sewn baffle jacket up to the light.
What color do you have? If it’s the two tone green one, are the pictures on the website fairly accurate? I’m trying to avoid a bright lime green jacket

sacklunch

WKR
What color do you have? If it’s the two tone green one, are the pictures on the website fairly accurate? I’m trying to avoid a bright lime green jacket
Pretty accurate, yes. But I only take it on late season hunts and those require orange anyways, color not a factor.

I dont wear it in public much, not my thing, and a bit too puffy. I wear softshells or something most days in town. But for what it's designed for, absolutely worth the $$, IMO

mcimes

Lil-Rokslider
The Alpine and Alpine Light are totally different in terms of warmth.

The Alpine Light is probably good into the 20's static or single digits with some light activity (camp chores, walking on flat ground, etc). Sewn through construction, 4.8oz down, 14oz total.

The Alpine is a beast and probably good to near 0 static and well below that with any activity. Box Baffle construction, 7oz down, 16oz total.

Pro Tip - order from Montbell Japan because the weak yen makes the Alpine only $170ish!!!! This makes the Alpine one of the best Warmth/$/weight ratios on the entire market. Make sure you select the US sizing or read their size chart carefully if ordering JP sizing (I have a JP jacket - size up 1 from your regular US size and it fit fine)