Montana vs Colorado?

I'm considering moving my family to either Colorado or Montana. The places in Montana would be either Bozeman or Helena. The place in Colorado is south of Denver around Castle Rock. There are a lot of variables involved such as housing, population/crowding, climate, etc. I'm from the midwest and I'm accustomed to shooting my rifle and bow right out my back door. My specific question is this: which state has better overall hunting opportunities (elk, deer, bear, antelope, etc)? Basically, if you were going to choose a state based solely on hunting, which of the two would you choose?

bozeman

WKR
Moving from AL, probably Montana for solely hunting......at least that is in my mind on what I would like to do. Overall recreational, Colorado.

cnelk

WKR
If you got a cool 1/2 Million Dollars for a house, the Castle Rock area is for you.

If you have a 1/2 Million Dollars in Montana... well... you prob get a lot more than a house

Montana by a long shot. You're guaranteed deer and elk tags every year with long seasons, and pronghorn tags are fairly easy to come by if you just want a decent one. Oh and spring bear season. Colorado has perhaps the most highly pressured elk in the country, doesn't give deer tags OTC, and pronghorn tags are dang hard to draw for public land. And no spring bear season.

And Montana is so so so much cheaper to live as cnelk alluded to.

3forks

WKR
I was born and raised in Colorado and spent the last 20 in Montana before moving back to Colorado for work. If you're only concerned with which state has better hunting, I'd say Montana.

OP
Huntingpreacher
Montana by a long shot. You're guaranteed deer and elk tags every year with long seasons, and pronghorn tags are fairly easy to come by if you just want a decent one. Oh and spring bear season. Colorado has perhaps the most highly pressured elk in the country, doesn't give deer tags OTC, and pronghorn tags are dang hard to draw for public land. And no spring bear season.

And Montana is so so so much cheaper to live as cnelk alluded to.

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks so much.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think brads being generous on the House. 500k is the starting point and depending on the area, a fixer upper. If location isn’t an issue for rmployment I’d take Montana in a heartbeat.

WKR
I live east of Castle Rock in Elbert county. I've hunted CO for 20 years and have had good luck. Moved my daughter to Helena a while back for a job and was really impressed with that area. Bozeman seems great too. The price for housing is probably around 40% or so less in Helena vs CO. Hoping to find out about MT bird hunting this fall. If I was young and starting over with a young family, I'd have to look really hard at MT.

Wapiti406

WKR
If you got a cool 1/2 Million Dollars for a house, the Castle Rock area is for you.

If you have a 1/2 Million Dollars in Montana... well... you prob get a lot more than a house

Yes, in Bozeman that will equate to a 2500 sqft house and 1/8 acre...

OP
Huntingpreacher
Thanks everyone. I'm doing some extensive research on houses and overall cost of living differences, but the salaries at the different locations make up for that. It sounds like Montana is the favorite for hunting.

mtmuley

WKR
Different from what several realtors I've done work for in Bozeman quoted me. They were all in consensus that single family homes, new construction, are starting around the 285k mark.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wonder what the cost per square foot is on a 285K new house. Tells a lot about what you get. mtmuley

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t really comment on Montana, but my wife and I are considering a move as well and Colorado was in the running with family in the springs. However on our visits there it’s seems really crowded now and still growing. Lots of people in the cities and mountains. Plus there’s the political climate, rising housing market and the smell of weed everywhere. That said plenty of elk and great mule deer from what I’ve heard and good chance for an eventual bighorn tag plus fairly mild winters in comparison to Montana if you can make it work.

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I would say Montana if I was having to choose between the 2.
Just for honesty sake I would say look hard at Wyoming.
I've got friends and customers in Colorado and they all complain about the influx of people recently and the major housing cost upticks. Mountains are crowded and getting moreso.
My friends in Montana, still people coming in, housing not too bad yet. Hunting is good, but not what it was 10 years ago.
Wyoming just keeps keeping on. Affordable, good hunting and good folks.
If I had a chance I'd be in Saratoga,Wy so fast the tape wouldn't barely be stuck to the moving boxes!