Montana General vs Colorado 0 Point Unit (Archery)

Cfriend

FNG
Drew a Montana general archery tag this year. My only experience has been in a 0 point draw unit in SW Colorado which I have hunted the last few years. Interested to know what I can expect in terms of hunting pressure. Will it be comparable to an easily drawn Colorado unit?

I'm used to seeking out the roughest terrain to get away from the people - I assume I will need to do the same in Montana?

Thanks!

hiker270

WKR
I have archery hunted southwest Montana (Gravelly Range and Madison Range). Saw just as many hunters as in Colorado. Gravelly Range has too much road/atv access and Madion range has access issues through private land. Don't know about other areas.

jolemons

WKR
Depends on the area, but generally expect less pressure from hunters. You'll be sharing the mountain with grizz, which deters some people.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted MT general rifle season last year. Got pounded by a snowstorm on opening day, which closed off a lot of access for most of the week. We still saw dudes. A lot in fact, but mostly on that 1st and 2nd day. People had set up camps and were trying to get them out. We eventually found some places of our own and harvested 2 MD bucks.

In comparison, I've been to SW CO during archery elk (was only scouting). I saw some folks, but not too bad. Granted, I hike in 5 miles into two locations and saw no elk. Did hear a couple. Perhaps I was just in the wrong place.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on what type of buck/bull you are after. Any buck/bull, 150" buck, 300" bull, booner? Our deer/elk are scattered all throughout the state and at many different elevations. Some are migratory some are not. The more rugged, remote areas have less hunting pressure from high grizzly densities but have fewer deer/elk, to private land and public land that has high numbers of animals but also has easy assess and high hunting pressure. I would ask yourself what type of buck/bull do you want and what type of topographical area/camp/hunt style do you prefer? Also, what time of the season are you interested in? Early, Rut or late season bucks/bulls? Hope this helps.

OP
C

Cfriend

FNG
Thanks for the comments! I am going for any bull. I've been doing a good bit of armchair scouting finding a bunch of different spots in different areas. Primarily focusing on the spots separated from easy access by a really steep climb or river or cross country distance - that is what I need to do in Colorado in order to escape the pressure. I was just wondering if I will be pleasantly surprised by less pressure in Montana since it isn't as easily drawn. Doesn't sound like I will.

Another question: I have been hunting the beetle kill areas in Colorado where you literally can't walk through forested areas without constantly climbing over deadfall. Will that at least be better in Montana? I'm sure there will be blowdown areas, but is there much beetle kill?

Ginner

FNG
Plan on people. At this point it is more about hunting/reacting to the tactics of other hunters than hunting the animal. Find escape routes when they blow the animals. Like I said, plan on people.

137buck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the comments! I am going for any bull. I've been doing a good bit of armchair scouting finding a bunch of different spots in different areas. Primarily focusing on the spots separated from easy access by a really steep climb or river or cross country distance - that is what I need to do in Colorado in order to escape the pressure. I was just wondering if I will be pleasantly surprised by less pressure in Montana since it isn't as easily drawn. Doesn't sound like I will.

Another question: I have been hunting the beetle kill areas in Colorado where you literally can't walk through forested areas without constantly climbing over deadfall. Will that at least be better in Montana? I'm sure there will be blowdown areas, but is there much beetle kill?
We have a lot of beetle killed trees here, like whole sections of dead and blown down stuff, and nope, you won't escape pressure, but use it to your advantage if possible.

RP50

FNG
Drew a Montana general archery tag this year. My only experience has been in a 0 point draw unit in SW Colorado which I have hunted the last few years. Interested to know what I can expect in terms of hunting pressure. Will it be comparable to an easily drawn Colorado unit?

I'm used to seeking out the roughest terrain to get away from the people - I assume I will need to do the same in Montana?

Thanks!
Me and my hunting partner have killed 5 bulls in the past 4 years with the general tag. We hunted public 2 years, during archery we had one of our most memorable hunts we've every been on, completely covered up the entire trip. The 2nd was for rifle, not so memorable, lots of pressure and only saw 3 cows the entire week.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly a pumpkin patch in MT but nothing compares to Colorado in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is beetle kill but nothing like SW Colorado. Depending on where you are you can run into some nasty deadfall areas. It sounds like you're on the right track. I tried out a new area last archery season in some rough, out of the way terrain and saw 3 other groups of hunters all season

WCB

WKR
The area you can hunt in MT on a general tag is HUGE....There are places that are a complete shit show and places you can have all to your self. Last time I hunted MT for elk (2 yrs ago) I ran into 3 guys in the field and maybe saw 5 vehicles on the roads in areas I actually wanted to hunt. 6 of those days saw zero people, heard zero guys calling, heard exactly ZERO trucks, atvs etc. Heard and saw elk everyday.

Still if you can get a couple miles from any road you will eliminate a bunch of competition. Also, hunt where Grizzlies are...that weeds out a bunch of Johnny Try Hard wannabes