Montana Unlimited units

Spoiler -I’m a super noob and I’m not a billionaire…I know it’s a shock. Alas, my only real option for sheep hunting is the unlimited units of Montana. I have searched Rokslide for info about the unlimited but all the posts are several years old.

No one wants to give up the honey hole, and I’m not asking…unless you’re telling….I’m more curious about the terrain. Specifically unit 501. Full disclosure, I’ve only done 2 western hunts in my life. A black bear in MT and a goat in Haines AK….I tend to punch above my weight class lol!

Anyone with experience in unit 501? What’s the hiking like? Is it steep? Thick brush? Is water readily available? How are the bears there, prolific? Aggressive?

I appreciate any suggestions. Now 501 is about 411 square miles, so obviously terrain could vary, but all information is good.

Thanks!

Mojave

WKR
You must have read enough on Rockslide to learn that no one actually shares information about it. Asking about units is forbidden.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_0144.png
Anyone with experience in unit 501? What’s the hiking like? Hiking on the moon. Lots of rocks
Is it steep? Yes it sure can be. The area has some of the highest peaks in Montana

Thick brush? At times shred your clothes thick and pokey

Is water readily available? Depends on the year

How are the bears there, prolific? Depends on the year. But yes some areas have a lot of bear shit

Aggressive? All bears are different just like humans. 🤷‍♂️

All of these subjects can be researched. A lot of people walk in a few miles and just camp. Never to return again…

My advice-
Perfect your survival/camping/packing skills on easier hunts before attempting what I consider the ultimate competition for sheep. Mountain athletes from all over the US, Canada, and even world show up with little odds of success.

Last edited: