Montana Side by Side Laws

treillw

WKR
Am I understanding things correctly that you basically need a side by side to be street legal if you plan on driving it anywhere but private land in Montana?

Thanks!

jimh406

WKR
That's my understanding. However, it's pretty simple to make one street legal, and it's a permanent plate and relatively inexpensive.

josef

FNG
can someone point me in the direction of the reg? I guess I’ve been ripping dirty in MT. I live out of state and sxs aren’t allowed to be registered so mine isn’t street legal.

I think a stock side by side with proper registration is all you need, a license plate and trail sticker. They all pretty much have head lights and brake lights at this point, I don’t think turn signals is a requirement. I bought mine out there and have been back there with it and just get the trail sticker.

wytx

WKR

OHVs and Public Roads​

OHVs must be street legal to be ridden on roads. To be street legal, vehicles must be registered for on-highway (paved roads only) use. These vehicles must have specific equipment (functioning headlamp, stop lamp, brakes, electric horn, rearview mirror, exhaust muffler, and spark arrestor) and a license plate on the rear of the machine. (MCA 61-3-301)

Some Forest Service and BLM roads may be open for use by OHVs. Contact the appropriate Forest Service or BLM office for information such as road designations, closures, conditions, and maps.

Read it all here: https://fwp.mt.gov/activities/off-highway-vehicles