Montana Rifle Company Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

Grumman

WKR
I know they changed ownership, but the old MRC made left handed rifles. I bought my son one in 260 Remington and it is a dandy. I understand there isn’t a huge market but hopefully it is not a start from scratch endeavor for them and they have some drawings and parts to go by when production allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
MRC could easily offer a custom order program. Require a deposit then build the rifle. I fail to understand why it would be a major expense to offer a special order left hand rifle program in these days of modern CNC manufacturing.
I would send them a check today for a left hand 9.3x62 and 375 H&H if they would guarantee delivery within a year.
I'm not a MRC fanboy, but I understand the above explanations as to why it might be a major expense to design - and use the machinery for a few rifles that could otherwise be in use for right-handed rifles. And i'm not sure how a custom order would change those hurdles. Maybe offer to pay them and guarantee they won't lose money?

I don't think anyone is saying it's "fair" that you and other left-handed folks don't have the same options, but it seems rational for manufacturers to have made their decisions.

Spoonbill

WKR
The issue is that when companies bring out left handed rifles (especially not cheap left hand rifles), sales are abysmal- like 0.5% of right hand sales, or less.

MRC plans to, and will make a left hand rifle if they can. I expect they will sell all of 10 of them a year. I am not speaking for them- this is an educated response: It is not good sense to stop or interrupt production of a product that you are still trying to get caught up on, to produce a product that will not sell.
Adam Weatherby on a podcast said the same thing about left handed rifles, high levels of “I want” but the sales numbers rarely back it up.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Adam Weatherby on a podcast said the same thing about left handed rifles, high levels of “I want” but the sales numbers rarely back it up.
Weatherby is smart enough to offer a custom order program for odd ball left handed rifles. This is how I ordered my LH 340 Wby. Roughly 6 months from order to delivery. Win win for both Weatherby and the buyer.

Dobermann

WKR
Not to derail the thread too much longer ... but seeing as it might relate to whether people purchase an MRC or not ...

I think it would be interesting to get comparative statistics from rifle manufacturers who offer all of their rifles - or most of them - in left-handed options.

There's a lot to be said for having one's various rifles from one manufacturer - similar form and function, bolt manipulation, parts compatibility, and so on. So those manufacturers who provide the most options to lefties might see a higher percentage of sales.

Irrespective, even if the ROI wasn't great, if I owned a business like this, I'd offer left-handed options. Not only because I have the relevant lived experience - and know what a pain the backside it is to interact with things that are built by people who think we're irrelevant - but because I'd see all shooters as my market, and I'd want to cater to them.

Best case in point I can think of is Hardy Rifles. Think what you want of their designs and approach, but Dan Hardy tells the story of saving up for his first rifle as a youngster, going to the shop, only to find hardly any left-handed versions - and the ones that were were more expensive.

He now makes all his rifles with left-handed options - and sells them cheaper than right-handed models as his own small way of making up for the rest of the market, and (in his words), give a bit of an 'f-you' to manufacturers who don't, on behalf of lefties.

Small sales and hard market numbers are one thing. Catering for all of your users, is another. And not having the lived experience of what it's like to not have stuff that's made for how your body works, can make it hard to understand what it's like ... again, to the righties, imagine if you went into any gun shop, and 90% of all the rifles were left-handed ...

Imac45acp

FNG
Hey @Imac45acp — do you anticipate having more calibers down the road? Additionally, are you open to selling the action as an individual item?
Absolutely. New calibers are always being added to the tooling and product line list. We're trying to achieve a mix of relevant new and classic calibers that makes sense from an ROI stand point, but I don't see us ever offering custom calibers. The production tooling is just too expensive, and not worth the machine down time for small orders. We'll be offering actions for people that want to build their custom 9.5x69 FrankenBoomer lol.

Snowwolfe, I'm truly sorry we couldn't meet your expectations. No one at MRC has ever tried to deceive anyone on timelines. Lefties are on the list of things to do. They will be offered eventually like the bare actions, just not any time soon.

Unfortunately, modern CNC isn't quite the easy button that many people think it is. The receiver may take about 2-1/2 hrs to machine, but there's well over a hundred man hours required to get the CAD/CAM/QC/Machine setup to the point of running the first part. Even something as "simple" as mirroring a part requires a completely new machine program to be written and proven out, in addition to the drawings that are needed to tolerance and inspect the part. Repeat that with the bolt, shroud, extractor, and safety, and you've got a time consuming project.

-Ian

Spoonbill

WKR
Absolutely. New calibers are always being added to the tooling and product line list. We're trying to achieve a mix of relevant new and classic calibers that makes sense from an ROI stand point, but I don't see us ever offering custom calibers. The production tooling is just too expensive, and not worth the machine down time for small orders. We'll be offering actions for people that want to build their custom 9.5x69 FrankenBoomer lol.
Not sure if you can or are willing to share this but any plans to have a 6creed as a factory option?
Also appreciate the update that MRC is still planning on making left hand actions and you getting on here to update everyone.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider

Snowwolfe, I'm truly sorry we couldn't meet your expectations. No one at MRC has ever tried to deceive anyone on timelines. Lefties are on the list of things to do. They will be offered eventually like the bare actions, just not any time soon.

Unfortunately, modern CNC isn't quite the easy button that many people think it is. The receiver may take about 2-1/2 hrs to machine, but there's well over a hundred man hours required to get the CAD/CAM/QC/Machine setup to the point of running the first part. Even something as "simple" as mirroring a part requires a completely new machine program to be written and proven out, in addition to the drawings that are needed to tolerance and inspect the part. Repeat that with the bolt, shroud, extractor, and safety, and you've got a time consuming project.

-Ian
Appreciate the updates.
I am a total novice when it comes to machining. Is it safe to assume once these programs are written they do not have to be written again?
For example, write the program then do a run of actions. Reenter a different program and do another run of a different action as far as length, bolt face, etc

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Not sure if you can or are willing to share this but any plans to have a 6creed as a factory option?
Also appreciate the update that MRC is still planning on making left hand actions and you getting on here to update everyone.
An American made, high quality CRF rifle that works and is reliable, chambered in 22 Creed and 6 Creed, with 18-20” threaded 5/8-11 barrels that last, and aren’t picky about factory ammo…

Are dream guns.