Montana Rifle Company Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don't ... and happy with my Tikkas, so not even sure how I'm in this thread, but ...

While the question wasn't directed at me, I'll pick it up for the sake of adding my experience.

I doubt the number of sales is anywhere near as much as the total percentage of left-handers (roughly 11%, depending on whose stats you source).

But that would be a bit chicken and egg - if more manufacturers made left-handed rifles and supported them, they'd sell more. And if it was as easy to get (and have always got) left-handed rifles, there wouldn't be as many left-handers who had grown up thinking that rifles were as with many other things in life - made for right-handers, and we just have to live with it.

I've asked every left-handed shooter I've met if they've always been able to find the rifle they want in left-handed, and the answer is always no.

Conversely, I've also asked right-handed shooters what they would think if almost every gun shop they went into only stocked left-handed rifles, and the sense of confusion, ranging to understanding how manufacturers and retailers aren't providing to their market, becomes apparent.

The issue is that when companies bring out left handed rifles (especially not cheap left hand rifles), sales are abysmal- like 0.5% of right hand sales, or less.

MRC plans to, and will make a left hand rifle if they can. I expect they will sell all of 10 of them a year. I am not speaking for them- this is an educated response: It is not good sense to stop or interrupt production of a product that you are still trying to get caught up on, to produce a product that will not sell.

atmat

WKR
The issue is that when companies bring out left handed rifles (especially not cheap left hand rifles), sales are abysmal- like 0.5% of right hand sales, or less.

MRC plans to, and will make a left hand rifle if they can. I expect they will sell all of 10 of them a year. I am not speaking for them- this is an educated response: It is not good sense to stop or interrupt production of a product that you are still trying to get caught up on, to produce a product that will not sell.

I don’t disagree with any of that. It all makes sense.

But also, it is crappy business communication if they’ve truly been saying “in the near future” for 2 years. That leaves people (who may have saved a long time for a rifle of this cost) in limbo.

I have given up on MRC rifles. They have been promising to bring out a left handed version "in the near future" for 2 years.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I don’t disagree with any of that. It all makes sense.

But also, it is crappy business communication if they’ve truly been saying “in the near future” for 2 years. That leaves people (who may have saved a long time for a rifle of this cost) in limbo.

I would agree with that. But, I don’t think it’s “lying” to anyone. “We hope to have left hand rifles in the near future” is a hope, not a lie.

Frankly people that get upset over these things, generally never were going to buy one anyway.

atmat

WKR
I would agree with that. But, I don’t think it’s “lying” to anyone. “We hope to have left hand rifles in the near future” is a hope, not a lie.
Ehh, that’s semantics. And ultimately, it’s still unclear to consumers — which businesses should not want.

I’m not saying anyone’s perfect or can predict the future. But saying, “Hey, we’d like to get it out soon but we’re swamped with other priorities so it may be a few years” at least gives the consumer the opportunity to plan accordingly.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider

Frankly people that get upset over these things, generally never were going to buy one anyway.
I offered to write a check for three of their left handed rifles at SCI in Nashville if they would deliver them in a year. They declined. I also suggested they consider offering a custom order program for left hand rifles. That way they lose nothing. Take a deposit then build and deliver the rifle.

And for the record, less than a year ago I gave up on my quest to buy rifles from them and instead purchased three new Weatherbys Mark 5's.

Your bias for MRC is showing.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I offered to write a check for three of their left handed rifles at SCI in Nashville if they would deliver them in a year. They declined. I also suggested they consider offering a custom order program for left hand rifles. That way they lose nothing. Take a deposit then build and deliver the rifle.

That’s not how designing, testing and building an action and stick works. Three rifles won’t pay for the CAD drawing let alone the product.

And for the record, less than a year ago I gave up on my quest to buy rifles from them and instead purchased three new Weatherbys Mark 5's.

Ok?

Your bias for MRC is showing.

What bias is that? Here’s my “bias” that I have stated numerous times about left hand rifles from almost any maker- “I wouldn’t waste the time, money, or headache on it, until there were no more work to be done on any other project”. While it sucks for left handed shooters, they simply do not buy rifles in any quantity to even recoup the initial cost to make them.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
So then why are you following this thread, and taking the time to make numerous comments? Seems pointless.
Just relaying my experience with the company being discussed.
Seems we have plenty of MRC fanboys here. I wish the company well.
And for the record I would still order at least two rifles from them if their QC improves.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
That’s not how designing, testing and building an action and stick works. Three rifles won’t pay for the CAD drawing let alone the product.

Ok?

What bias is that? Here’s my “bias” that I have stated numerous times about left hand rifles from almost any maker- “I wouldn’t waste the time, money, or headache on it, until there were no more work to be done on any other project”. While it sucks for left handed shooters, they simply do not buy rifles in any quantity to even recoup the initial cost to make them.
MRC could easily offer a custom order program. Require a deposit then build the rifle. I fail to understand why it would be a major expense to offer a special order left hand rifle program in these days of modern CNC manufacturing.
I would send them a check today for a left hand 9.3x62 and 375 H&H if they would guarantee delivery within a year.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just relaying my experience with the company being discussed.
Seems we have plenty of MRC fanboys here. I wish the company well.
And for the record I would still order at least two rifles from them if their QC improves.
I have never owned one, and am completely skeptical of them until further testing is done, and one of the "Form fixed" units is in my possession for a couple months of hard use. If that's how you define a "fanboy" than I am 100% a "fanboy".

I have never owned one, and am completely skeptical of them until further testing is done, and one of the "Form fixed" units is in my possession for a couple months of hard use. If that's how you define a "fanboy" than I am 100% a "fanboy".
Pics or it didn’t happen

amassi

WKR
MRC could easily offer a custom order program. Require a deposit then build the rifle. I fail to understand why it would be a major expense to offer a special order left hand rifle program in these days of modern CNC manufacturing.
I would send them a check today for a left hand 9.3x62 and 375 H&H if they would guarantee delivery within a year.

All they have to do is promise to deliver you 3 rifles in a year on an action and stock they don’t possess?

Change your order in magnitudes, add commas and zeros ,and drop your delivery date guarantee and I’d bet they’d listen. Better yet since it’s a simple CNC job license the left hand action from them and produce them yourself for your wrong handed friends. Seems pretty simple in the age of CNC

gbflyer

WKR
There are various “boutique” actions that come in left or right. Same price. Of course these are smaller operations with lower overhead. You can get a lefty CRF Mausingfield, at least he had a couple in stock a few weeks ago. You have a lot of good features there with the possible exception of having to use a cartridge style trigger.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think he’s saying he won’t be a fanboy until one of the newer versions (having worked out the kinks Form described) is purchased and in his hands.

His wording was weird but I don’t think he currently has one in his hands.
Correct. I really need to quit typing on my broken iPhone.