Montana Rifle Company Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

Wrench

WKR
Ian from MRC sent an AI bottom metal and new trigger spring. The new spring is a noticeable improvement in feel- no creep at all now. The bottom Metal will be great, but the inlet is different and the stock will need to be inletted and bedded.

View attachment 720645
When you get contact on the action edge at the very back of the action it can cause accuracy issues if there's ANY movement in the bedding. I now clearance the rear with a layer of tape to avoid any issues. It's similar in behavior to the bolts contacting the stock in the pillars....random and unpredictable, but never good.

UM GM

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Form, you need to educate your UM boys on CRF. That podcast they did on CRF was a disgrace. I found it an ignorant and arrogant display of dismissing firearm heritage!

Right now I am avoiding doing all the loading I need to do tonight for my 1000 yd BR rifles AND my CRF M-70 416 Rem that I am taking to first trip to Africa this Aug for Cape Buffalo. (I have now learned that makes me a fudd.) So I looked at a couple of threads here.

I guess you guys didn't see the follow up podcast on CRF, where I "educated" my compadres on CRF?

I went over the whole CRF thing, from the history to advantages to my personal experiences.

All my current hunting rifles are CRF M-70s, except for one, the 470 NE double rifle. I showed Taylor how I cut the extractor slot in an M-70 barrel and even loaned the shop one of my extractor cutters.

I don't know if we have done this at the shop yet, but I have personally installed a Wyatt's 3.825 mag box in a couple of CRF M-70s. If I ever do any "tacticool" shooting it will be with my CRF FN PBR that @Formidilosus was willing to buy from me if I sold it to him cheap......

So plenty of CRF education has taken place at UM, thanks to this fudd who pounded out 65 rounds through his unbraked CRF M-70 416 in four hours on Saturday to find a buffalo load.....

:cool:

Last edited:
OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Update to post #6 with a relatively significant change.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
He knows. His project is in the works. We had several discussions on the project along with a dose of "pilot shit". Not many here would understand.......

:cool:
Shit Blaine, you fly too? Between that and the benchrest competitions, no money left to make bad decisions ;)

-J

UM GM

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I too was a USAF Pilot, for 24 years. I overlapped @BjornF16, I think for the whole time he was in. I flew C-130s, was a T-38 IP, then was a T-1 IP/EP. So I was qualified in a transport type aircraft, a fighter type trainer, and a business jet type aircraft.

I call the C-130 a transport "type" airplane because along with the occasional trash hauling missions, we flew low levels, formation, air drops, and assault takeoffs and assault landings. It was in the C-130 where the light came on for BFM--I guess in a C-130 it would be BCM. I learned how to defeat gun and missile shots from F-4s and A-7s in the mid 80s. Only a few of us got to do that. BTW, not sure what worked against F-4s and A-7s would work against F-15s or F-16s with modern missiles and guns.

As a T-38 IP I REALLY learned how to maneuver fast jets because of having to fix all the student errors. I had to teach fighter track students how to do wing landings, something that the current USAF doesn't do anymore. I even got to fly solo against a guy who flew F-15s prior to his T-38 tour--he didn't get me to overshoot. :cool:

Then I flew the T-1, a converted Beech 400 business jet. We flew it low-level, in formation, and did simulated aerial refueling and simulated airdrops in it.

My flying has been spotty since retiring form the USAF, but Indo have an opportunity that sounds fun after I get back from Africa in a couple of weeks. We leave this Monday.

BjornF16

WKR
I too was a USAF Pilot, for 24 years. I overlapped @BjornF16, I think for the whole time he was in. I flew C-130s, was a T-38 IP, then was a T-1 IP/EP. So I was qualified in a transport type aircraft, a fighter type trainer, and a business jet type aircraft.

I call the C-130 a transport "type" airplane because along with the occasional trash hauling missions, we flew low levels, formation, air drops, and assault takeoffs and assault landings. It was in the C-130 where the light came on for BFM--I guess in a C-130 it would be BCM. I learned how to defeat gun and missile shots from F-4s and A-7s in the mid 80s. Only a few of us got to do that. BTW, not sure what worked against F-4s and A-7s would work against F-15s or F-16s with modern missiles and guns.

As a T-38 IP I REALLY learned how to maneuver fast jets because of having to fix all the student errors. I had to teach fighter track students how to do wing landings, something that the current USAF doesn't do anymore. I even got to fly solo against a guy who flew F-15s prior to his T-38 tour--he didn't get me to overshoot. :cool:

Then I flew the T-1, a converted Beech 400 business jet. We flew it low-level, in formation, and did simulated aerial refueling and simulated airdrops in it.

My flying has been spotty since retiring form the USAF, but Indo have an opportunity that sounds fun after I get back from Africa in a couple of weeks. We leave this Monday.
I’m not sure half the folks on this forum understand all of that…but what I want to know is:

Did you carry a spoon wherever you went? :p

All jesting aside, I’ve only had great experiences dealing with UM whether it was talking to Jessica about orders or Blaine about a special project. There is just a different “vibe” talking to them versus other companies.

Last edited:
Reactions: NSI

UM GM

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m not sure half the folks on this forum understand all of that…but what I want to know is:

Did you carry a spoon wherever you went? :p

All jesting aside, I’ve only had great experiences dealing with UM whether it was talking to Jessica about orders or Blaine about a special project. There is just a different “vibe” talking to them versus other companies.

I never carried a spoon, but there was absolutely no peacetime mission that required missing lunch, and very few wartime missions either.

It was also nice being able to stand up and go pee in two of the three planes, and I REALLY missed that feature one flight when I had just got strapped into a T-38 for a student contact sortie and realize that I had to go pee. We we flew our 1.1 hour sortie pulling Gs and practicing landings.

When we taxied back into the chocks, I told the student that I wasn't mad at him and he did fine on the sortie, but I REALLY had to go pee so I was going to emergency ground where and run the the line shack. Usually when an IP quickly got out of the jet it was because the student had done something very bad, so I had to let my student know that wasn't the case.....

Also, I didn't ever have to wear a poopy suit while flying, like I am sure @BjornF16 did.....