Montana Rifle Co. Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

gbflyer

WKR
Cleaning up the trashy bedding job will help. Why would they send that out? Can’t tell for sure from the pic, but the rear bedding appears to be acting as a second recoil lug. That’s not good for accuracy.

Super cool they have done this for an unvarnished series of testing. Big step towards healing old wounds.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

these are just starting to come out into the wild. If you're looking for a CRF and have gunwerks money.

The trigger is in question- another member sent it to me and thought that they are using TT’s Kimber trigger, if so that could be decent. But, once you are at $10,000… man, that’s a factory rifle- the action is factory produced by CNC, the barrel is chambered and threaded like any other, the trigger is bolt on, etc.

$10k and you are into real custom rifles.

slowelk

WKR
The worst rifle I ever owned was a Montana rifle company, back when they were in Kalispel. It seems that new owners and a new state didn’t change anything.

They’re sitting on something close. The hunting world needs a legit CRF, quality modern rifle.

A well designed CRF, in a Rokstock, with a DBM, that works would be a fantastic hunting rifle.

[mention]Formidilosus [/mention] I’m a Rokslide scholar but haven’t yet read anything from you about the goodness of CRF. All my bolt rifles are CRF (1917 and 3 Swedish Mausers) so I know nothing of push feeds. Would you mind sharing what you like about CRF and why Kimbers aren’t the Modern CRF that the hunting world needs? Also, what are the shortcomings of the many milsurp (nonmodern) CRF rifles?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would you mind sharing what you like about CRF

Properly done CRF can be very reliable. They are better in some ice/frozen conditions than almost all PF. Being able to control how far ejected brass is flung is also nice.

There is also nostalgia. CRF is classic. Push feeds are cheap to make, design, and don’t require much work- even good PF. However, well done CRF takes work- it’s not generally just a CNC and done.

A well done push feed and a well done CRF are about the same in reliability- where one gains a slight advantage, the other gives it up; and vice versa.

and why Kimbers aren’t the Modern CRF that the hunting world needs?

Kimber has had a problem with consistency. Also, there are almost no DBM’s for them, and they don’t sell actions.

Also, what are the shortcomings of the many milsurp (nonmodern) CRF rifles?

The good ones Mauser, 1903, etc. just need work by legit gunsmiths, of which there are very few any more; and those that are still around are expensive. The other issue is being surplus- there isn’t modern replacement parts, so once the action is worked over, you can’t just drop other surplus parts in when/if something breaks.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you. That just is unbelievably bad for a expensive rifle.

Yes. But to be clear, it’s about what half of Christianson and Bergara I have used have been like; and I have seen lots of issues with feed/fire/extract/eject from lots of “customs”.

This is not an excuse for MRC- this is a “the whole industry needs to stop producing crap and using customers as beta testers”.

@Formidilosus , this is off topic of the thread, but I believe at one point you mentioned a US made Tikka clone or similar type action and bolt/trigger design is "in the works" or something to that affect. It sounded like maybe you, or Avery was working on getting someone to make one. Any more info to share on that?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus , this is off topic of the thread, but I believe at one point you mentioned a US made Tikka clone or similar type action and bolt/trigger design is "in the works" or something to that affect. It sounded like maybe you, or Avery was working on getting someone to make one. Any more info to share on that?

Nothing I can share, but yes- something like that is in the works.

Nothing I can share, but yes- something like that is in the works.
While I can understand building a Tikka style aftermarket trigger for custom actions- what would the point in developing an American version of a Tikka action be outside of wanting to buy American? And I don’t mean that in a negative way, I’m genuinely curious. Especially given the cost, performance and availability of Tikka.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
While I can understand building a Tikka style aftermarket trigger for custom actions- what would the point in developing an American version of a Tikka action be outside of wanting to buy American? And I don’t mean that in a negative way, I’m genuinely curious. Especially given the cost, performance and availability of Tikka.

You are correct. A copy would not offer much.

Dobermann

WKR
I think there were some hints on one of the recent S2H podcasts - try the last three or four, maybe near the end ... someone else might chime in if they know the episode and/or details.

2y2c

FNG
On one of the podcasts Jake mentioned he might be working on a tikka bolt with changeable bolt faces. That’s all I heard.