Deciding on a donor rifle for XLR mag4.0 chassis build

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning on ‘building’ a chassis rifle for backpack hunting over the next year. I’ve settled on 6.5CM in a XLR Magnesium folding chassis based on my research. but now I’m trying to find a good donor rifle to use.
Because I’m trying to not overspend on this, I’ve decided to buy a complete rifle and use the action+barrel instead of buying each part individually. After some research, I’m stuck between using a Tikka Superlite with the stainless fluted barrel or the Savage ultralight 110 that comes with a carbon fiber barrel. They are about the same price it looks like.

Anyone have thoughts on which would be better? Or other rifles I should consider?

Thanks!

I have a superlite 6.5 CM and it shoots good! Held a savage ul at the gun counter the other day and the action is rough. Like it made me want to puke. I'm sure if you ran it a bunch you could smooth it out. My pick would be the Tikka.

Are you going to run a suppressor? If so, you'll probably chop the barrel anyway and want a thicker barrel profile than the superlite. I'd just go plain Jane stainless T3X.

Tikkas over Savage all day long.

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Are you going to run a suppressor? If so, you'll probably chop the barrel anyway and want a thicker barrel profile than the superlite. I'd just go plain Jane stainless T3X.

Tikkas over Savage all day long.
I wish…suppressors not allowed in Canada

Based on the action inlets available with the XLR the Tikka is your best option without going custom. I agree with getting the straight T3x so that you can chop the barrel down if you so desire, Even if you can't put a can on it, cutting it back to 18" makes for a handy rifle.

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, I never even considered about cutting the barrel down. I guess cutting a couple inches off a standard barrel would make it even lighter than the standard length fluted barrel from the superlite?