Montana general tag 4 for 4

It might not of come across but I was being sarcastic.

It cracks me up that people complain about smaller bucks being shot but don’t say a thing about hunting during the rut. Hunting big bucks when they’re most vulnerable and then complain about decline of quality hunting.
Haha, my bad! Should have caught the sarcasm.

ScottinPA

WKR
For those that say point restrictions don't work, I beg to differ. In the early 2000's PA went to them and I think (and have seen some data proving) the overall age class has gone up. It's not a perfect plan though by far. IMO herd reduction was/is mishandled, not a problem for you folks. I think it could be tweaked for the over 65 crowd to allow them to shoot whatever. I like the no restrictions on youth till 16. Unit sizes and shapes could be fine tuned too.
There was, and continues to be, a lot of griping about the restrictions. Most from the older crowd that shot the first legal buck. I think over time many have been convinced.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
For those that say point restrictions don't work, I beg to differ. In the early 2000's PA went to them and I think (and have seen some data proving) the overall age class has gone up. It's not a perfect plan though by far. IMO herd reduction was/is mishandled, not a problem for you folks. I think it could be tweaked for the over 65 crowd to allow them to shoot whatever. I like the no restrictions on youth till 16. Unit sizes and shapes could be fine tuned too.
There was, and continues to be, a lot of griping about the restrictions. Most from the older crowd that shot the first legal buck. I think over time many have been convinced.
I know practically nothing about whitetails but my gut tells me that point restrictions make more sense for WT because of their antler configuration. A lot of mule deer will never be more than a 3x3 no matter their age. Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t whitetails more likely to add points off their main beam with age than MD?

Rich M

WKR
I always thought “harvest” was in reference to deer people passed annually until they were ripe - had big enough racks to warrant an arrow or bullet. Goes w QDM and the guys managing land for the biggest bucks they could GROW.