Montana General Tag question

bloatmar

FNG
Someone smarter than me help me out. I think I know the answer but just looking for confirmation. Group of 4 of us we will all have 2 points for Montana and applying for general tag. Should we party apply or all individually apply?

matsprt

FNG
Do you want to hunt together or separately ?? If in a group, apply as a group and all will get tags or no one will get tags.
If you want to take your chances apply individually, then one, two, three or all may or may not draw a tag.
With each person having two points you should all be able to draw General tags.

Pgohil

WKR
If you party apply either everybody goes or no one goes. If you individually apply anywhere from zero to four of you could go.

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
See I knew coming here would confirm what I was thinking. Just trying to be prepared

Scottf270

WKR
If you all buy another point going into the drawing you will have 3? That should be a certain draw I would think.

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
If you all buy another point going into the drawing you will have 3? That should be a certain draw I would think.
We all have one currently. We will all be adding a point this season for a total of two.

DanimalW

WKR
If you all apply individually it kind of seems like a waste of $800 in points. Feel like the only reason for points is to ensure you all draw together. So if the 3 other guys draw, are you going to go solo next year? If you were going to apply individually, then do it with zero points.

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
If you all apply individually it kind of seems like a waste of $800 in points. Feel like the only reason for points is to ensure you all draw together. So if the 3 other guys draw, are you going to go solo next year? If you were going to apply individually, then do it with zero points.
Im not following this train of thought? We almost had a 5th he would have applied with zero. Rather have the better odds with 2 points than zero but now that I think about it I understand that strategy

DanimalW

WKR
The biggest advantage to applying with 2 points is that you’re guaranteed to draw the following year with greater than 2 points. Applying as a group you’re likely to all hunt this year, but if not, guaranteed to all go together next year.

ndbuck09

WKR
i did a thread about it last month but the amount of people that didn't draw general last year was higher so they're going to theoretically go in with the max of 3, which then cuts down the number available to people who will have 2.

OP
bloatmar

bloatmar

FNG
i did a thread about it last month but the amount of people that didn't draw general last year was higher so they're going to theoretically go in with the max of 3, which then cuts down the number available to people who will have 2.
I could see 75% but seems like 65-55 is low low. But hey the numbers will decide that in about a month From now.

The thread in the sheep forum about 2 Chugach dall tags being undersubscribed by NR makes me think the last 12 months of corporate layoffs and other economic headwinds on main street have started to catch up to people in the form of discretionary spending. The NWT $35-40K hunts are booked out for years, but those clients are paying top dollar with open checkbooks and are less affected by economic volatility. The Alaska hunts are always much cheaper, and given Elk hunting is alot cheaper than dall sheep hunts, I think it will be even more sensitive to the economy, and we could see a drop in applications across the board this year due to more guys back east staying home this year. This last year of layoffs is something we have not seen since long before Covid, and while the stock market is hitting all time highs, people are losing jobs at an increasing pace.

Chode223

FNG
How does the party application system work in Montana? If there are 4 people applying do you have 4 entries into the draw or 1?

I know they average the points across everyone, but can’t tell if the party gets one entry.