Montana General Elk 2024 - Audible!

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,
Myself and three partners are headed to MT with big game combo tags two months from today. We received some devastating news today in that our permission to hunt a private ranch near White Sulphur Springs fell through due to miscommunication of a third party. So, we are pivoting to public land and scrambling to find some general areas to start e-scouting. Another caveat--is that the groups preference is to not hunt grizz country. I realize that is getting harder and harder to avoid.

Its been about 10 years since I have hunted in MT and previously have hunted the Rubys outside of Alder (shot a nice whitetail--no elk to be seen) as well as the Pioneer Mountains near Wise River. The pioneers are in a zone where we can't shoot cows with a general tag--so that is out.

Not looking for trailheads, drainages, or any particulars. We are trying to salvage this trip and being the 'group leader', I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. If someone is willing to help and provide some advice on, please PM me.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

The Guide

WKR
Still lots of public land and block management around WSS. Look at districts that have shoulder seasons and especially the ones that have early shoulder hunts that open in August as elk numbers are over management levels in those areas.

Jay

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Still lots of public land and block management around WSS. Look at districts that have shoulder seasons and especially the ones that have early shoulder hunts that open in August as elk numbers are over management levels in those areas.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Will definitely check into this.

Hi All,
Myself and three partners are headed to MT with big game combo tags two months from today. We received some devastating news today in that our permission to hunt a private ranch near White Sulphur Springs fell through due to miscommunication of a third party. So, we are pivoting to public land and scrambling to find some general areas to start e-scouting. Another caveat--is that the groups preference is to not hunt grizz country. I realize that is getting harder and harder to avoid.

Its been about 10 years since I have hunted in MT and previously have hunted the Rubys outside of Alder (shot a nice whitetail--no elk to be seen) as well as the Pioneer Mountains near Wise River. The pioneers are in a zone where we can't shoot cows with a general tag--so that is out.

Not looking for trailheads, drainages, or any particulars. We are trying to salvage this trip and being the 'group leader', I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. If someone is willing to help and provide some advice on, please PM me.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

There's griz around White Sulpher springs. Black bears don't leave dinner plate sized tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t like Griz, the upper Ruby is certainly out.
Personally, I'm not too concerned about griz. They were in the Ruby's when I hunted there last. I have three guys going with me that are pretty damn green (meaning exactly one idaho mountain whitetail hunt of experience). So whether its that I am not comfortable taking them into griz country or whether I don't trust them in griz country--I don't know. Just doesn't feel right to drop them into the Gravellys. I am keenly aware that griz are pretty much everywhere--but there is a big difference between populations in places like the little belts vs east of Ennis.

WCB

WKR
Draw a line from Red Lodge to Great Falls then up to the east side of Glacier and the Canada Border. You are now in Grizz country. Lower densities in the Crazies, Little and Big Belts than further west but they are there. That area you were going to hunt has more public than you could dream to hunt and decent elk herds. Little Belts are the easiest terrain in the area imo....Probably not a bad choice for first timers essentially. I know archery hunting there 3 years ago a group of hunters I talked with got a picture of a Grizz and my sister lives between the Little Belts and Great Falls and they see Grizz or their neighbors do enough to know they are around.