Montana Draw

ndbuck09

WKR
Hey Guys, I'm filling out the Montana Elk Draw App online. Anyone know if there's any penalty for only putting down 2 choices instead of the 3 for special permit areas on the app?
My buddies and I are really trying to just get points this year bc my buddy is going to be deployed and we're just going to put down some of the hardest to draw units (380,690)

jmez

WKR
If you just want the points all you need is one area not two or three.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
And if they are all low odds areas there is no point in putting in for second/third choices. If all you want is points just put in for the lowest odds tag that you want as a first choice.

RedRidge

WKR
Can anyone clarify if you can just pay for a point? The pdf talks about you must pay for a combination of some sort to add the preference point option. If you do not plan on hunting do you get that money back for the license or how does that work? I am in the same boat Ndbuck.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
"If successful in drawing a Big Game or Elk Combination license and unsuccessful in drawing a special elk permit, I wish to return my
combination license and receive an 80% refund."

This is directly from the application. You cannot simply buy a point in Montana without applying.
You would have to pay for 9$ application process and 20$ for a bonus point. The bonus point is for the Permit areas in Montana. Preference points can be purchased for 50$ but those will only help in drawing the General Combination License.

wyosteve

WKR
The sucky part is if you draw the combo license, but not the special permit and turn in the combo license, it costs you 20%, i.e. about $170.

Brendan

WKR
You can buy a preference point later in the year, not a bonus point. Preference point I think only helps you for the combo licenses, where bonus points are for permits...

Right now, everyone gets their combo license and they don't sell out, so pref points aren't helpful.

OnTheHunt

FNG
I have heard some mumbling that with the number of applications they are seeing this year it may be a sell out. Anyone else hear such chatter?

is there any place that has every hunt district you can hunt with a general elk license? Looking through the regulations its getting really confusing with permits that are for more than one area and so on.

You can hunt pretty much any unit with a general tag. I think the only exceptions may be the breaks and some other eastern units. The only thing you have watch out for are the unit specific restrictions. Some areas are cow or spike only in permit areas, while others may be any legal elk, or cow and brow-tine bull. Find an area that you like and look at the restrictions using the hunt planner.