Montana B-Day Bear

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Yesterday after an early Birthday BBQ dinner with some of my Montana friends, my fiancé and I headed out to go look for a black bear. Mostly we planned on just a leisure drive and check a couple short trails but after spotting a nice bear going to one of the trails our plans changed and we made a game plan. I had told her she had first choice when we find a worthy bear. We closed the distance I looked him over on more time to ensure he was in fact a mature boar and thats when she looked at me and said " Happy Birthday you shoot" from what i could see I tried to tell her how big he was but she insisted I shoot. The first shot he stepped right as i shot and the hit was a little back, he took off but stopped after 50 yards and I high shouldered him. We got to him and got some pics unfortunately he rolled down a draw and was caked with mud and soaked from the water. The pics didnt turn out as well as I hoped but we did get a few I liked.

2014 montana black bear 689 yds on Vimeo

Great shooting and one hell of a bear! Love the colour on the coat. Makes him look like a nice dark grizz.

Last edited:
OP
BackCountryMulies

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Guys, I dropped him off at the taxidermist to get tanned we measured him @ 20 7/16 and 6'9" after checking him in the biologist aged him at 18-22 and took a tooth to get it aged. Also I forgot to mention he had an ear tag and so he is digging up the history on him