Money transfer for gun sales

OP
Buckshot85
I tried a few search queries and came up empty. I know I’ve read threads on this before.

WCB

WKR
like private to private? Cash with face to face delivery. Make a generic bill of sale both you sign...done deal...or don't do a bill of sale. whatever.

Besides buying brand new there is no gun I'd get good enough deal on or want to deal with shipping, FFLs, and worry about getting paid or getting a properly operating firearm.

xsn10s

WKR
For me being in Oregon I have to do it through an FFL. PP sales in states not requiring FFL you still have to know that the person can legally purchase a firearm. Since I'm in the firearm industry and am considering training people again I do everything by the book. So a money order or personal has always worked for me. I've generally spoke to buyers/ seller on the phone and researched their FFL. It's worked with me in the past. What other people do is their business.

OP
Buckshot85
Guntab appears to hold the payment until it’s approved by the buyer. Seems one sided to me.
If the buyer refuses who pays to ship it back and both FFL fees?
Years ago pp was easier when everyone kept their mouth shut.

I like Venmo or Zelle, hate carrying cash for in person sales. Just don't tag it with gun lingo, and obviously you need to trust the seller. If you are the seller there's not much risk. I tried using GabPay but nobody else picked it up.

OP
Buckshot85
I'm the seller. I want to post a gun sale on here but looking to get everything in order so there's less goofing around for everyone.
FFL to FFL

I'm the seller. I want to post a gun sale on here but looking to get everything in order so there's less goofing around for everyone.
FFL to FFL
Venmo and Zelle will be the most widely used for potential buyers aside from PayPal, both very easy to use. Zelle was so dang simple it took me half an hour to figure out there's no option to transfer money into my bank like Venmo, because it's automatic.

If it's a good enough out of State sale or purchase for both parties, I don't screw around and just do the FFL to FFL thing once money order or personal check clears. In-State deal alot simpler, face to face cash only with exchange of DL ID (in case the ATF comes calling, just kidding😁!)

xsn10s

WKR
As someone who is now permanently banned from Paypal and Venmo for violating terms of service, I would not recommend using those for firearm sales.
My understanding PP doesn't allow for any firearms related equipment.
USPS money order via snail mail is tried and true method. I've used Venmo in the past without issues.
That's how I've done all my firearms related sales. But recently it made some nervous about my sale. So I pulled my item. I don't need the hassle right now.

You could also do PayPal and just put "For your gender transition surgery" in the note. They wouldn't dare look into that one. Hell, they would probably kick in an extra 10% themselves.

In all honesty, I have just reverted back to personal checks for most things. Both my banks allow for mobile deposits and it usually clears within a day. There are no restrictions on the amounts (unlike Postal MOs) and are easier to cash/deposit than MOs as well.

I've been using Zelle, so far so good. On most of the other sites I'm on if the buyer has an established account with a bunch of positive feedback I'll take a personal check.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've begun to think personal check is the best route...if cash isn't an option. Recently mailed a bank check with tracking. It was lost in the USPS vortex with no tracking for a long while. It's a much more involved process to have a bank check cancelled than it is to have a personal check cancelled. Thankfully, it eventually showed up. USPS MO would have been an issue to cancel as well. With a personal check I can see that it was cashed/cleared...not so with MO or bank check.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
I'm surprised there isn't some type of escrow service for hunting & firearm related things. Is guntab kind of like that or is it just payments?

edit: nvm it appears guntab is like that. neat

fwafwow

WKR
FWIW I do whatever I can to not send my personal checks through the mail. Theft, even at USPS mailboxes (or I've heard inside USPS locations) is pretty rampant, and I don't want anyone to see my bank account number if I can avoid it.

TaperPin

WKR
like private to private? Cash with face to face delivery. Make a generic bill of sale both you sign...done deal...or don't do a bill of sale. whatever.

Besides buying brand new there is no gun I'd get good enough deal on or want to deal with shipping, FFLs, and worry about getting paid or getting a properly operating firearm.
Exactly!