Weight saving tips

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
One more for the promaster its a great tripod. The best thing is how small it packs down.

cmeier117

WKR
This year I am going to try out a Kpacks sleeping bag. Basically a zip up sleeping quilt. 20 Degree bag in a wide long version weighs under 20 oz. I will just wear my Kuiu guide beanie under a down beanie if need be. It will take 2 lbs off my pack weight.

Any thoughts on adding a liner like a Sea to Summit thermolite, in a 20degree bag vs the bivy if you in a shelter? The liner adds about 8 oz and they claim to add up to 15 degrees so I figure 10 is the best I will get out of it. I have an REI +20 degree bag that is ok, but when the temps dip down to below 25 it gets tough to stay warm through the night. Dont have $300 for a bag in the budget this year.

cmeier117

WKR
Any thoughts on adding a liner like a Sea to Summit thermolite, in a 20degree bag vs the bivy if you in a shelter? The liner adds about 8 oz and they claim to add up to 15 degrees so I figure 10 is the best I will get out of it. I have an REI +20 degree bag that is ok, but when the temps dip down to below 25 it gets tough to stay warm through the night. Dont have $300 for a bag in the budget this year.

I just got through testing the Sea to Summit thermolite liner. You can read the details of what I thought here. http://ireviewgear.com/cool-gear/sea-to-summit-reactor-thermolite-liner-review

But in a nut shell, it is good for adding 5 maybe 10 degrees of warmth. I think the good thing about this liner is it added comfort for me and will keep my bag cleaner. It can take the chill off if you are at the limit with your bag. But the 15 degree rating is a joke.

nice review, thanks for the info.

I just got through testing the Sea to Summit thermolite liner. You can read the details of what I thought here. http://ireviewgear.com/cool-gear/sea-to-summit-reactor-thermolite-liner-review

But in a nut shell, it is good for adding 5 maybe 10 degrees of warmth. I think the good thing about this liner is it added comfort for me and will keep my bag cleaner. It can take the chill off if you are at the limit with your bag. But the 15 degree rating is a joke.

Here are a few things I do. I don't bring a first aid cause if I can't wrap it up with clothes or toilet paper a first aid kit isn't going to help. My rain gear is my outer shell. I wear it almost everyday early and late or when I am sitting glassing. I only eat cold food. Saves me the weight of a stove, pot, fork, and fuel. I only bring a scalpel. I use a bag rated @ 40 degrees and if I get cold I supplement with the clothes I bring. I probably do a few other things to. but those are the main things that come to mind.

Kifaru KU pack really saves some weight. Shaves off like 5 to 6 pounds compared to other packs.

Aron brings up some great points. I too agree with Aron on the tooth brush thing. I have never got the cut the handle off thing. Doesnt save much weight just get a traveler short one. I also have heard guys say cut the edges off of your map. Well paper is pretty light so... haha

I seond the ziplock idea. I have too used it. Ziploks work well for cooking!

Last edited:
Justin,

I think that Aron is talking about zipties, those plastic ties you find for bundling wires and cables together. The police have started using heavy duty ones now instead of handcuffs in some situations.

zip-ties.jpg

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
Aggieland,

It's all a personal choice on what to cut off a pack or gear to save weight...only you can answer that. The Timberline doesn't have much to cut off since I did a lot of trimming in the design process.

The wet wipe thing is another personal choice, but if you hunt and scout as much as I do, you better dry out a bunch.

Old thread but will reply anyways. No need to dry out sh1tty old wet wipes to save weight, Olay offers a product that is dry and one a day will do a body wash and weighs SFA.

http://www.olay.com/skin-care-produ...cial-cleansing-cloths-normal?pid=075609041273

Been using them for a few years now and they work. Work great on sweaty crotch, swamp ass and balls as well :p. Also work great for a clean up of hands etc. after a kill.

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
Old thread but will reply anyways. No need to dry out sh1tty old wet wipes to save weight, Olay offers a product that is dry and one a day will do a body wash and weighs SFA.

http://www.olay.com/skin-care-produ...cial-cleansing-cloths-normal?pid=075609041273

Been using them for a few years now and they work. Work great on sweaty crotch, swamp ass and balls as well :p. Also work great for a clean up of hands etc. after a kill.

Old but helpful. ;)

Do they have any kind of fragrance?

Jarom974

FNG
Mabe It's the germiphobe in me but I always bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer about 2/3 full. Clean up your stinky parts and it kills the bacteria that is causing the odor. Might not be worth the weight for some but I like cleaning up my feet each night before changing sox. Kills any odor and gives a nice clean feeling.
Just my 2 cents.

Mabe It's the germiphobe in me but I always bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer about 2/3 full. Clean up your stinky parts and it kills the bacteria that is causing the odor. Might not be worth the weight for some but I like cleaning up my feet each night before changing sox. Kills any odor and gives a nice clean feeling.
Just my 2 cents.

That's wet wipes for me! Love them! Wet wipe baths!!