Model 70 300 wsm Classic Stainless rebarrel

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Win Model 70 Classic Stainless in 300 wsm I would like to Rebarrel.
I’m thinking in 6.5 PRC with a short 20 or 22 in Proof barrel for a suppressor.
Spend my money… Other components? Suggested smiths to do the work?
I have zero experience in builds, other than reading tons of threads.

Thanks

Man buy an action wrench and a barrel vice and try doing it yourself? I rent my go/no go gauges. You can buy the tools for less than what 1 gunsmith fee is going to be. Just a thought.

If you're hunting elk size critters I like the 300 WSM and 7 SAUM. If deer are the largest you're going to go, the 6.5 PRC and 6.8 Western are easily viable. Im sure a bunch of guys on here would like you to go 6.8 western and give some feedback.

I think a 20" 7SAUM (I have a 22" and have been very happy), Proof w/ a can, Timeny/Jewel/Triggertech trigger, AG/Manners stock. Thats a pretty good package.

**If you don't reload a 300 WSM or 6.5 PRC are probably the best options. More quality factory ammo options

Man buy an action wrench and a barrel vice and try doing it yourself? I rent my go/no go gauges. You can buy the tools for less than what 1 gunsmith fee is going to be. Just a thought.

If you're hunting elk size critters I like the 300 WSM and 7 SAUM. If deer are the largest you're going to go, the 6.5 PRC and 6.8 Western are easily viable. Im sure a bunch of guys on here would like you to go 6.8 western and give some feedback.

I think a 20" 7SAUM (I have a 22" and have been very happy), Proof w/ a can, Timeny/Jewel/Triggertech trigger, AG/Manners stock. Thats a pretty good package.

**If you don't reload a 300 WSM or 6.5 PRC are probably the best options. More quality factory ammo options

The extractor cut on the CRF Winchester complicates the prefit option on that one.

I literally just reinstalled a barrel on my Origin action. It is not that hard.

But, I don't know if anyone who does prefits for M70's.

I love the 300 wsm. I think it fits just about every North American hunt other than big bears. I also have a 300 wsm in a CA Ridgeline that I load for.
The Model 70 that I have in 300 wsm will shoot moa most of the time… then when I think I have it figured out…Not!
The Model 70 Stainless Classic is basically the first big game rifle I ever bought for myself. I’m attached to it and really want it to shoot!

I literally just reinstalled a barrel on my Origin action. It is not that hard.

But, I don't know if anyone who does prefits for M70's.
Thats a good point. I too have an Origin, no clue on prefits for the M70. If there aren't any prefits, there might be a thread pitch / barrel nut option. I did that once too. Not tricky.

A new barrel requires an extractor cut. Not many people, at least what I’ve read use Model 70 actions anymore. I understand why but I’m old enough to have read all the stuff from Jack O’Conner and Outdoor Life that it’s the “Rifleman’s Rifle” even though I could only hope to be!

Since you are in Michigan, talk to Williams Gun Sight Co. They do gunsmithing as well, and do good work.

Depending on the year that rifle was built, it may need some truing of the ring and lugs. Other components would possibly be a new stock. A carbon barrel will not fit the original without some modification. I'd suggest a non-carbon barrel, and go #3 fluted at 20".

Jeremy

I’d reach out to Mark Penrod of Penrod precision in N. Manchester, IN. He knows his way around the M70 better than most rifle makers, has the tooling and fixtures to work on M70’s, and can correct some of the M70 idiosyncrasies. His work is first class.

Three additional items for thought:

There is the chance that USRAC machined the WSM actions rails wider than what will be ideal/reliable for the 6.5 PRC.

Removing the spacer from the M70 short action mag box will get you almost 3.200” of magazine box length.

I would have the receiver threads to opened up to 1.062” to allow for a larger barrel tenon diameter.

Since you are in Michigan, talk to Williams Gun Sight Co. They do gunsmithing as well, and do good work.

Depending on the year that rifle was built, it may need some truing of the ring and lugs. Other components would possibly be a new stock. A carbon barrel will not fit the original without some modification. I'd suggest a non-carbon barrel, and go #3 fluted at 20".

Jeremy
I found the original box for the rifle. I bought it new in 2003. It’s mostly been a safe queen. I did kill a couple of black bears with it though.
I also had the idea that I was going to use it for an elk hunt.
I shot it quite a bit trying to get it to shoot consistently for that hunt but…
I restocked it and bedded it in a Bell & Carlson stock. Better but still not what that round should do.
That’s why I have the CA Ridgeline in 300 WSM. That rifle just plain shoots!

I've been using LRI for almost everything the last few years. Great communication and quick turnaround time. They're not the cheapest by a long shot but they do a good job and likely have a barrel on the shelf.

Chad Dixon at Longrifles is the Model 70 guru.

He isnt cheap and I recommend you discuss with him prior to buying parts.

Chad Dixon at Longrifles is the Model 70 guru.

He isnt cheap and I recommend you discuss with him prior to buying parts.
I actually called Longrifles today. You’re right, not cheap but it sounds and looks like they really know what they are doing.
I’m thinking about going that route.
Still debating on the proof barrel vs a typical stainless. Finding a stock I like for a sendero lite profile is the next challenge.

I actually called Longrifles today. You’re right, not cheap but it sounds and looks like they really know what they are doing.
I’m thinking about going that route.
Still debating on the proof barrel vs a typical stainless. Finding a stock I like for a sendero lite profile is the next challenge.
I highly doubt you'll be disappointed. I'd go with a stainless barrel unless you're hung up on the looks of a carbon.

I found the original box for the rifle. I bought it new in 2003. It’s mostly been a safe queen. I did kill a couple of black bears with it though.
I also had the idea that I was going to use it for an elk hunt.
I shot it quite a bit trying to get it to shoot consistently for that hunt but…
I restocked it and bedded it in a Bell & Carlson stock. Better but still not what that round should do.
That’s why I have the CA Ridgeline in 300 WSM. That rifle just plain shoots!
Ever check the trigger on it? My 270's trigger was super heavy. Changed the spring in it lowered the pull lbs and now it's a shooter.

Mark Penrod
Kevin Weaver
LRI
Hill Country Rifles

All those are outfits with extensive experience working on m70’s. The latest and greatest tacticool flat brimmed bruhs with fat carbon barrels and a fancy Instagram presence are not what you want for a M70 job. Anyone suggesting a prefit for a M70 knows not of what they speak!

Back