Model 70 classic stainless not grouping

In a similar boat with the same model gun (different caliber). What is appropriate in lbs for each of the screws on the stock?

My model 70s have three action screws (guard screws). Tighten the front screw at the recoil lug down "pretty well". For me it's a feel, and also use the screw slot position as a guide for repeatability. I don't know the spec or if there is one on torque. I tighten the other two so I feel comfortable they're not so loose they will come out in the field, but no more than that. The goal is so the rear screws don't put stress on the action after the front screw is tight into the recoil lug. Especially since it isn't bedded, this could help.

With that, I wouldn't spend more $$ in the form of ammo out the spout at this point trying to find another load, and it sounds like you have decided that as well.

If possible, buy the Hornady ammo from one source and at one time, whether a few boxes or more boxes. This would get you the same lot number from the manufacturer most likely and keep it consistent for the future.

Last edited:

FLS

WKR
30-06 and 180s. That’s a classic combo that will kill anything in NA. I’ll wager it will shoot other flat based bullets accurately as well. Might try Partitions and A-Frames if you feel the need to use a “Premium“ bullet.

SDHNTR

WKR
In a similar boat with the same model gun (different caliber). What is appropriate in lbs for each of the screws on the stock?
Yeah it’s a feel thing.

I have several forms of 3 screw M70’s. Not saying this is right, but here is what I do…

Bedded into aftermarket synthetic stocks with pillars: 45-50#ish front and back.

Bedded into wood stock, no pillars. 35#ish

Pre 64 no bedding original wood stork 20-25 ish with a bit more in front. I do this by feel.

In all cases, on the middle screw, I barely tighten it to just snug and I put a small drop of blue loctite on the threads to hold it fast. This is the screw you really want no appreciable torque applied to. You can bind everything up and stress the receiver. (Especially if not bedded well) Just tighten it enough so the screw won’t fall out.

Additionally, it’s not uncommon on a M70 for the “flat” underside of the receiver to not be perfectly flat. I’ve seen them with a bit of a ridge down the center. They can sometimes have some rather rough machining. This is why bedding greatly benefits them so they fit hand in glove, imperfect receiver to stock.

I have a Pre-64 .270 that shot just ho-hum with its original stock. It was in really good original condition so I didn’t want to bed it and ruin the value. I took that stock off and put it in the safe. I bought a beat up old oem stock, refinished it, fixed an hidden crack, and bedded it. It now does this consistently.

Attachments

• IMG_4838.jpeg
    IMG_4838.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 4