Trying to date 2 Winchester Model 70 Rifles

Luked

WKR
I have 2 Winchester Model 70 rifles and am just curious what the manufacture dates are.
One is a Super Grade gun which is the one that has me most confused.
Both are chambered in 300 WSM.
I have checked online and the Super Grade serial number shows it to be a 1936 model. But I don't think there is any way this thing is that old. And the 300 WSM wasn't introduced until 2001.

The Other one is my project gun that is soon to become a 6.5 PRC. Its just a black Shadow model so not really as curious about it. Just bored this morning looking around.

DavidReed

FNG
What is the serial number range of the Super Grade? Does it have a “G” prefix? If it does have a G prefix it wasn’t made in ‘36.

If it is indeed a pre-war model 70 it will have the cloverleaf tang, the original “backwards” 3 position safety(could have been replaced) will be drilled and tapped for a receiver sight on the left hand side of the receiver, and will have wavy roll making on top of the front ring.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
The first two in the serial # are 35
Dont know if I should put the full serial on here.
The Black Shadow does start with G

Grumman

WKR
You could just put XX in for the last two digits and we can get you close. G prefix will be New Haven manufacture. The 35 could be FN South Carolina production or Portugal. Going off memory I think one of my South Carolina rifles is 35AMP something or other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Post up some pics and serial numbers.

Ought to take the Winchester gurus about 10 seconds to solve the riddle.

Better yet…dig in and learn the history of Winchester M70s via an internet search in short order.

DavidReed

FNG
I believe that’s a BACO serial number. That would be made from 2008 onward and unfortunately I don’t know of any resources for their manufacture dates.

eamyrick

WKR
If I see pictures I can get you close. The BACO guns were made in South Carolina for a while and then moved to Portugal. If made in Portugal it will be on the right side of the barrel.