Mobile Hunting Setups

Long Cut

WKR
It’s the offseason and I’m jonesing to be sitting up in a tree waiting for one to walk by.

Post up your mobile hunting setup, be it a hang on, saddle, climber or ground chair. I want to see YOUR preferred mobile hunting setup.
Please describe it as well, to give us ideas if you don’t mind.

My preference is:

Beast stand
3-4x Beast sticks
(1) 3 step climbing aider

LWCG Bow Holder
LWCG Quiver holder
Quake CLAW Treestand straps
Mobile Hunting Gear stick talons

IMG_1403.jpegIMG_1401.jpeg

I’m a Southeastern Whitetail hunter . Alabama is my primary area right now. Timber land so Pine forest with hardwood, clear cuts of many different ages.

I use a Polaris Ranger and a Summit Titan climber. I’m a big sob and old. Fortunately I can usually get pretty close to the tree I hang my Titan in.

I can set all day in that big climber without feeling like I fell out of it.
I feel secure in it as well. After years of hunting out of shooting houses , ground blinds and ladders I enjoy being somewhat mobile and being outside hanging in a tree.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
My mobile setup was a climber for about 15 years, then I went to a lone wolf assault with sticks for a couple years, then switched to a saddle and platform/sticks about 5 years ago. Switched to one sticking last year and don't know that they will ever come out with something lighter 😂.

Setup is an eastern woods outdoors ultimate one stick with a 2-step aider, 26' of canyon elite, madrock safeguard, and a latitude method 2 saddle. I got rid of the fixed bridge in the saddle and replaced it with an adjustable webbing bridge from hang free. If I am filming I have a fourth arrow saddlelite camera arm that I mount my phone on. Carry it all in a trophyline platow pack. The whole setup including filming gear, a ultimate predator decoy, and all my other gizmos weighs about 15lbs and leaves me hands free to hold my weapon still hunting into or out of the woods.

Rich M

WKR
Back in the day we would use screw in steps and a lock-on stand. Then they banned the screw in steps. Ive had boards in trees, climbers and the various sticks and climbing sticks, and ladder stands. Just used a progression of diff stands is all.

Older now and would use just ladder stands if i had a choice but hunting on public land use a Summit climber.

only hunt a handful if days each year due to getting 3-day quota hunts and tend to sit sunup to sundown if possible. Feel secure in that climber and even nap in it.

ZeeBo

FNG
LWCG .5 stand and the 20 inch double steps with steel aiders. Thinking of swapping out the sticks for something lighter since they're about 2 pounds each with a daisy chain attachment.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Last year:
Saddle
XOP Retrograde
Ladder aider with tether to climb - basically 1 sticking without a stick
Rappel rope, figure 8

This year:
Saddle
LWCG .5 - advantage over the Retrograde is my foot can turn sideways between the cables
Sladder - same principle but more efficient than tether/aider
Rappel rope, Mad Rock Safeguard - still undecided if I'll like this more than the figure 8. I'll try it and see.

Will use various lockon's to hang and leave in some places.

The .5 and Retrograde work well as a frame pack. Clothes go in a compression sack strapped to the seat.

Picked up an XOP Rubicon on sale. It may be used on some mobile hunts where it's not a big hike...it's bigger and seems very comfortable, but it's +4 lbs as well.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
Last year:
Saddle
XOP Retrograde
Ladder aider with tether to climb - basically 1 sticking without a stick
Rappel rope, figure 8

This year:
Saddle
LWCG .5 - advantage over the Retrograde is my foot can turn sideways between the cables
Sladder - same principle but more efficient than tether/aider
Rappel rope, Mad Rock Safeguard - still undecided if I'll like this more than the figure 8. I'll try it and see.

Will use various lockon's to hang and leave in some places.

The .5 and Retrograde work well as a frame pack. Clothes go in a compression sack strapped to the seat.

Picked up an XOP Rubicon on sale. It may be used on some mobile hunts where it's not a big hike...it's bigger and seems very comfortable, but it's +4 lbs as well.
What does your total setup weight? Stand, climbing aiders etc?

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
My mobile setup was a climber for about 15 years, then I went to a lone wolf assault with sticks for a couple years, then switched to a saddle and platform/sticks about 5 years ago. Switched to one sticking last year and don't know that they will ever come out with something lighter 😂.

Setup is an eastern woods outdoors ultimate one stick with a 2-step aider, 26' of canyon elite, madrock safeguard, and a latitude method 2 saddle. I got rid of the fixed bridge in the saddle and replaced it with an adjustable webbing bridge from hang free. If I am filming I have a fourth arrow saddlelite camera arm that I mount my phone on. Carry it all in a trophyline platow pack. The whole setup including filming gear, a ultimate predator decoy, and all my other gizmos weighs about 15lbs and leaves me hands free to hold my weapon still hunting into or out of the woods.

My current setup with 3 sticks and a 3 step aider is right at 13# if memory serves me right.
I chased my tail for a while trying to get to “0” for a climbing setup & saddle, but comfort and efficiency was lost in the process.

I’ve streamlined this stand to where the sticks clip in quickly and easily, aider goes on and I’m climbing up and pulling sticks off my back as I go. Pouch under the seat & my pockets/bino harness hold the rest of my goods.
Simplicity and efficiency help make things go smooth and make use in the extreme heat, cold & dark that much easier for me.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
What does your total setup weight? Stand, climbing aiders etc?

I haven't put it on a scale but I can try to do it piece by piece either later this week or this weekend.

The stand and climbing method can be pulled from listings:
LWCG .5 - 5.8 lbs ...or 5 lbs 12.8 oz (not counting straps, I use 2)
Sladder 8' version - 1 lb 13 oz

The Retrograde or .5 used as a frame pack for carry end up saving the weight of a pack, which in the case of a popup 38 is ~5.3 lbs. I use LW shoulder straps and tighten my saddle at waist with quick clip luggage compression straps through the molle of saddle then attached to the stand to carry weight on my hips.

Sladder in a dump pouch on left side (attachment straps for stand under Sladder)

Rappel rope (with rappel device) in dump pouch on right side.

Lineman's w/ropeman hooked to each side of the saddle with loop over back of my neck.

Once I'm at the tree I only have to attach pullup to weapon, pull/attach Slader, flip lineman's around tree, and start climbing.

Zdub02

WKR
I've been using a summit open shot for years now. Tried a tethrd mantis saddle and 4 hawk helium 20" sticks. Just can't seem to get comfortable in and shooting from the saddle. Will still break the saddle out if I have a super long hike or steep grade to traverse but mainly take the climber. It's much more comfortable for longer sits.

Weight is similar between the two set ups - 15# for the climber and close to that for the saddle set up when you add up all the ropes, straps, platform, and saddle itself. The saddle just packs down more compact.

Macintosh

WKR
I hate sitting. I hate stationary hunting. I dont sit still well and Id rather be walking around not being successful, than sit still and shoot something. I use a stand for archery hunting, but I only do it by being very surgical and opportunistic in when and where I hunt—it would be a staggeringly long sit for me to be in a tree more than 3 hours, and thats pushing it. I have a few hang-on stands on our property at home, on a neighbors where I have permission, or on some adjacent public, which I leave up for the season—these are mainly weeknight evening or before-work hunts. Other than that everything I hunt is a mile or three approach, generally mountainous, I may have scouted it off-season but likely have several areas in mind, several trees in mind but will choose where to hang in the moment based on sign. Usually using 3-4 timber ninja sticks, a tethrd standard-size platform, and a method-2 saddle. I use a nylon strap with some genesis3d hangers below my tether to hang my pack and bow. I have a 1-stick rig, have used it a bunch and have a lifetime of technical rope work, but apart from the 1-stick rig being 3lb lighter in total and more compact I far prefer the sticks, so almost always use those. Total pack weight including the pack itself (which is capable of packing out a deer), 4 sticks, platform, extra warm clothes, water, saddle, kill kit, headlamp, etc is about 15lb and change.
All gun seasons Im on the ground, generally moving.

(Edited pack weight, been a while since I weighed it!)
IMG_9194.jpeg
IMG_7409.jpeg

Last edited:

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
My current setup with 3 sticks and a 3 step aider is right at 13# if memory serves me right.
I chased my tail for a while trying to get to “0” for a climbing setup & saddle, but comfort and efficiency was lost in the process.

I’ve streamlined this stand to where the sticks clip in quickly and easily, aider goes on and I’m climbing up and pulling sticks off my back as I go. Pouch under the seat & my pockets/bino harness hold the rest of my goods.
Simplicity and efficiency help make things go smooth and make use in the extreme heat, cold & dark that much easier for me.
What's your total setup weigh, though (minus weapon). Not just stand and sticks. When I leave the filming stuff and decoy in the truck, I'm right around 10lbs including the pack. Not trying to get into a sausage measuring contest, just comparing apples to apples.

I couldn't agree more on the comfort and simplicity part, which is why I love the saddle so much, particularly the two panel saddle. The first time I saw someone one stick online I thought it was a great way to spook deer but met up with a buddy who got into it and he gave me some pointers and showed me the ropes and I was surprised how efficient and quiet it could be.

WCB

WKR
I use a Millennium M& Microlite 8.5lbs and 4 Shikar sticks (6lbs ish). so lets say 15lbs. Then whatever a harness weighs. I carry it on my SG frame so pretty light pack wise with all the accessories needed for a day hunt.

After packing 5-10 days of camp and gear on my back out west or hauling whole deer or elk quarters out...I couldn't really care less about going to a 1 step system or even dropping to 3 steps with an aider...even more so late season wearing bigger boots and extra layers on.

I hate sitting. I hate stationary hunting. I dont sit still well and Id rather be walking around not being successful, than sit still and shoot something. I use a stand for archery hunting, but I only do it by being very surgical and opportunistic in when and where I hunt—it would be a staggeringly long sit for me to be in a tree more than 3 hours, and thats pushing it. I have a few hang-on stands on our property at home, on a neighbors where I have permission, or on some adjacent public, which I leave up for the season—these are mainly weeknight evening or before-work hunts. Other than that everything I hunt is a mile or three approach, generally mountainous, I may have scouted it off-season but likely have several areas in mind, several trees in mind but will choose where to hang in the moment based on sign. Usually using 3-4 timber ninja sticks, a tethrd standard-size platform, and a method-2 saddle. I use a nylon strap with some genesis3d hangers below my tether to hang my pack and bow. I have a 1-stick rig, have used it a bunch and have a lifetime of technical rope work, but apart from the 1-stick rig being 3lb lighter in total and more compact I far prefer the sticks, so almost always use those. Total pack weight including the pack itself, 4 sticks, platform, extra warm clothes, water, saddle, kill kit, etc is about 13lb.
All gun seasons Im on the ground, generally moving.
View attachment 733587
View attachment 733596
Great set up! Is that a MR pop up pack?

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Last year, I borrowed a Summit climber from a buddy, but it was heavy, bulky, and I was prone to leave it in the woods, which took any mobility out.

This year I'm going with the below:
Saddle: Overwatch Orion
Stand: Lone Wolf The Fix
Rope: 40' Sterling C-IV with 40' DynaGLIDE
Petzl Hand Ascender
Madrock Safeguard

About 10lb without throwline for presets and about 11lb with throwball and 100' of line. So far, I'm thinking I'll like it a lot more than the climber. Especially when I hunt areas that are a mile out more hike in from parking access
f68d5ef4c4413711db77c9d3cfba4536.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I run a lwcg 1.0 and 3 20 inch double sticks with aiders.

I can get 15-20 foot high with this set up depending on how far I stretch it.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
What's your total setup weigh, though (minus weapon). Not just stand and sticks. When I leave the filming stuff and decoy in the truck, I'm right around 10lbs including the pack. Not trying to get into a sausage measuring contest, just comparing apples to apples.

I couldn't agree more on the comfort and simplicity part, which is why I love the saddle so much, particularly the two panel saddle. The first time I saw someone one stick online I thought it was a great way to spook deer but met up with a buddy who got into it and he gave me some pointers and showed me the ropes and I was surprised how efficient and quiet it could be.

I want to say right around 13-14# for the stand, harness, sticks, aiders, pull rope, straps etc.
If I bring my fanny pack that may put me up around 16# total weight.

I haven’t weighted my current setup recently, but that’s “in the ballpark”

Too damn old to be hanging out in the trees with the squirrels but do have two permanent deer blinds built so I can choose between the two, both of the blinds pay off regularly on nice white tails if you do your part, if I decide to go for a walk I just find a deer looking spot and park it on the ground at the base of a large tree.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Started using a Tethrd Phantom and 3 Hawk Helium 30” sticks when I got into the mobile game. I couldn’t stand carrying those 30” sticks around and decided to get into one sticking. For the past 3 years I have been using a Overwatch Transformer and one sticking with a cut down Hawk helium with a clam cleat and 2 step aider. When at height I still use a predator platform and a Pretzel GriGri while climbing and for rappelling.

I could save additional weight by switching to a lighter rope from the Canyon 9 and using a lighter saddle, however I am very comfortable with what I have and don’t see a reason to change. I use an EXO K4 to transport my gear in and out along with having the ability to pack out when back in. This setup is compact and fairly lightweight and allows me to get further back in then most others are willing to go.