Votes: 36 28.3%
  • Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50

Votes: 72 56.7%
  • Other

Votes: 19 15.0%

• Total voters

rootacres

WKR
So to clarify this is the MK5 HD 3.6-18x44 vs NX8 2.5-20x50 F1.

Both these scopes are more premium than anything I have owned before. Im coming from a 3-15x42 Razor HD LHT. These scopes are about as heavy as I would really like to go. How does the optical quality compare between the two and how does it compare to the Razor LHT that I have been using? You peeps that have experience with one or both id be very interested in hearing what you have to say.

This will be going on my 7 SAUM with max intended hunting range being around 700 yds (I will practice further if I can).

Thanks

I've owned all three
The mk5 kills the nx8 in every category
The LHT 3-15 really isn't in the same class, you will be very impressed with the 3.6-18 after using the vortex
This ^^^^. Mark5HD is in a different league than the NX8. Closest comparison would be the ATACR.

I have no experience with the MK5. All I can say is I really want to like the 2.5-20, but that eyebox is so damn finicky I don’t think I could buy one.

tdhanses

WKR
I’d rather buy a 3.6-18 Mk5 than take a 2.5-20 NX8 for free. If you want a Nightforce, look for a used/demo 4-16x42 ATACR, which compares to the MK5 much better than an NX8.
So you’d rather have a MK5 failure then reliability? Seems like you hear about way more MK5 failures then NX8. Personally to me, reliability trumps everything so I’d go with the brand known for reliability.

But this has been hashed out here many times and no way i’d get a MK5.

tdhanses

WKR
I have no experience with the MK5. All I can say is I really want to like the 2.5-20, but that eyebox is so damn finicky I don’t think I could buy one.
Yeah I think this is just something people have to try, i don’t feel the 2.5-20 has a finicky eyebox but everyone is different.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and I think the MK5HD is better in every way. Totally agree about the NX8 eyebox.

Yep, typical internet silliness. You read NX8 failures just like MK5, just like ATACR, just like Razor, just like S&B, blah blah blah. MK5 outsells NX8 so you’ll hear more anecdotal stories - pretty basic numbers game. Not to mention, there’s a whole host of folks that don’t know how to mount an optic and are more than willing to blame gear over their own shortcomings.

The 2.5-20 NX8 is a marketing turd for those that want all the zooms. It is a poorly executed design. The reticles are a poor fit to the magnification range, controls are meh, eyebox sucks, parallax is finicky, optics suck, dims on high mag, etc. Jeff Huber (who brought Nightforce from the SFP benchrest world to the modern practical/field rifle world) has talked about the optical & mechanical downsides of an 8x erector.

But I get it, Nightforce sends a bunch of stickers and the box tells you it’s rELIabLe and RepEaTABle. I’ve since sold my MK5, but it tracked 100% and I had no issues holding zero or otherwise nor did I have fears of failure that kept me up at night.

Like I said, if you need an NF logo to make you feel warm and fuzzy, get an ATACR. The cost difference is minimal, the weight difference is minimal, and the ATACR is a notably better overall package compared to the NX8.

Actually Form has ran them through is torture tests and Nightforce has been the ONLY reliable manufacturer that holds and returns to zero.

Granted the NX8 has a short eyebox, but the key is mounting it in the correct position. Simply bgg use a rail and it's not a problem. Granted the ATACR is a better scope without a short eyebox.

sacox31s

FNG
I own an NX8 2.5-20. I have also owned a Zeiss V6 3.5-18. The NX8's optical quality was so much better than the Zeiss V6 that I sold the Zeiss scope.
I have no experience with the Leupold Mark 5HD.

tdhanses

WKR
Yep, typical internet silliness. You read NX8 failures just like MK5, just like ATACR, just like Razor, just like S&B, blah blah blah. MK5 outsells NX8 so you’ll hear more anecdotal stories - pretty basic numbers game. Not to mention, there’s a whole host of folks that don’t know how to mount an optic and are more than willing to blame gear over their own shortcomings.

The 2.5-20 NX8 is a marketing turd for those that want all the zooms. It is a poorly executed design. The reticles are a poor fit to the magnification range, controls are meh, eyebox sucks, parallax is finicky, optics suck, dims on high mag, etc. Jeff Huber (who brought Nightforce from the SFP benchrest world to the modern practical/field rifle world) has talked about the optical & mechanical downsides of an 8x erector.

But I get it, Nightforce sends a bunch of stickers and the box tells you it’s rELIabLe and RepEaTABle. I’ve since sold my MK5, but it tracked 100% and I had no issues holding zero or otherwise nor did I have fears of failure that kept me up at night.

Like I said, if you need an NF logo to make you feel warm and fuzzy, get an ATACR. The cost difference is minimal, the weight difference is minimal, and the ATACR is a notably better overall package compared to the NX8.
Haha, funny, well I’ll keep on using my NX8 with its fancy stickers, if it ever fails i’ll for sure let the forum know.

So far it has held up to me falling on it in the ice and rocks while it directly hit everything below me, i’m plenty happy with the inferior product and guess i’m just not picky as I find the reticle I have is great and I rarely have it on 20x but don’t remember thinking it was dim, the eyebox i guess may seem finicky but it isn’t hard to get behind I don’t think.

LOL. If you found your internet Jesus, good for you. More than a few folks have had NX8s fail. Link below to probably the most well known instance of a dude that had to sue Nightforce over a lemon - happens to every brand. It’s easy to claim a sub 1% failure as a manufacturer when customers are forced to sue over a defective product.

Folks should “test” (heavy air quotes) their own gear instead of trusting anyone on the internet. Lots of weirdness posted by internet ‘experts’/reviewers. Might be hard to believe but some avatars have agendas.

Lol you are too funny, and in denial. As for me, I am incredibly hard on my gear and spend tons of time putting it to use. The last thing I want is for something to fail, like when I had a state record blacktail in my scope and my firing pun spring rusted and broke. Having a scope lose zero just isn't acceptable to me, so I'll take Nightforce ant day of the week, the others are just weak.

tdhanses

WKR
LOL. If you found your internet Jesus, good for you. More than a few folks have had NX8s fail. Link below to probably the most well known instance of a dude that had to sue Nightforce over a lemon - happens to every brand. It’s easy to claim a sub 1% failure as a manufacturer when customers are forced to sue over a defective product.

Folks should “test” (heavy air quotes) their own gear instead of trusting anyone on the internet. Lots of weirdness posted by internet ‘experts’/reviewers. Might be hard to believe but some avatars have agendas.

I bet he has more experience then you but maybe not and he’s full of it but then maybe you are as well 😂 it is the internet as you say. Sounds like you have a grudge against NF or bias which Form doesn’t display any emotion or bias just a what works attitude and what he’s seen, if it does it does, if it doesn’t it doesn’t.

And Form isn’t a fan of the NX8 but he hasn’t had one fail his test while multiple MK5’s have. Pretty simple test he has, you should try it on your scopes just to verify if your confident they won’t fail.

I bet he has more experience then you but maybe not and he’s full of it but then maybe you are as well 😂 it is the internet as you say. Sounds like you have a grudge against NF or bias which Form doesn’t display any emotion or bias just a what works attitude and what he’s seen, if it does it does, if it doesn’t it doesn’t.

Knowing Form, yes he has a great deal more experience than me. That is not to say I don't have significant experience.

Form "full of it", your to funny and again in denial. He simply has developed methods to test scopes, abusive tests, but nothing they may not endure in the field, and he reports the honest results.

No, you said it is the internet, not me.

No. I NEVER expressed a grudge against Nightforce. To say or imply that brings you reading comprehension into question.

Am I biased toward Nightforce, well I want products that are highly likely to work every time I use them. Nightforce fits that and the others do NOT. If you want to call that bias, go a head. Lol.

tdhanses

WKR
Knowing Form, yes he has a great deal more experience than me. That is not to say I don't have significant experience.

Form "full of it", your to funny and again in denial. He simply has developed methods to test scopes, abusive tests, but nothing they may not endure in the field, and he reports the honest results.

No, you said it is the internet, not me.

No. I NEVER expressed a grudge against Nightforce. To say or imply that brings you reading comprehension into question.

Am I biased toward Nightforce, well I want products that are highly likely to work every time I use them. Nightforce fits that and the others do NOT. If you want to call that bias, go a head. Lol.
Thought I replied to TK?

tdhanses

WKR
I have zero “grudge” against logos - not even sure what that means, LOL. I’m a nobody that likes to try out gear and put my money where my mouth is. I’ve spent tens (plural) of thousands of dollars of my own hard earned money on various rifle scopes (including NF). Happy to share my opinions and also the first to say try it for yourself. I’m brand agnostic, and regularly recommend optics from multiple brands (even recommended a NF twice in this very thread for those that can read).
Yes you did with those fancy stickers and all.

It really is amusing to see guys parrot a bunch of crap that some "expert" told them.
There's no doubt that the hunting line of leupold scopes has a dismal record for tracking and reliability, however the mk5 is not in any way comparable to those cheapos.
I've run a couple mk5s for years and they are flawless, I'm sure a few have failed somewhere along the line just like every other major manufacturer.
Yes that includes NF I personally know a guy who killed two of the NXS 5.5-22 optics, not to mention all the issues guys are reporting with the NX8.
I don't bat for any team, I just can't stand biased fanboys