Mitotuyo calipers?

Chuckybmd

WKR
I am embarrassed to admit, but I’ve been using a Pittsburgh caliper from Harbor freight to do my reloading. I really want to upgrade and spend the right kind of money for a quality device. What is your favorite caliper. It seems Mitotuyo has a great reputation, is there anyone that has a caliper that would give me a recommmenfation on the make and model?

Trapline

FNG
You cant go wrong with any of their calipers, just choose either digital or dial. I made a living as a machinist and Starret was the standard. Made in USA.

BBob

WKR
Any particular model recommendation?
I think you’ll find this is the most common and most used model. I have several of these on the bench and in the shop. It is possible though that there’s been an update and the model number has slightly changed. Do your research as far as fakes go. There are knock offs out there that have showed up on Amazon and eBay
IMG_0958.jpegIMG_0957.jpegIMG_0959.jpeg

Before you spend a lot of money, check what you have on a certified check piece. I’ve got mitutyo, starret and a cheap digital set from the auto store. I nearly always grab the digitalis first, the mitutyo second, and the starrets last. The digital and the mitutyo will nearly always read the same.

Wrench

WKR
You don't want a Sterrett digital. They eat batteries. I have all of the ones mentioned and the mitutoyo is the answer. Sterrett dial are great.

OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
I concur. Anything Starrett digital is NFG.
Starrett analog and another set of Mit’s.
View attachment 566588
Thanks, there’s nothing better than having a quality set of tools that you can rely on. I am somewhat of a tool collector myself, so I don’t mind spending the extra money. If I’m proud of it, I tend to take care of it better.

BBob

WKR
Analogs if you take care of them will last virtually forever. My favorites are the Mit digital. They do fail now and then but not often. My first pair died out of the blue 4-5 years ago but they were much older than that. This Japanese made NSK I bought in 1979. Still going. They are my utility pair that I don’t mind dragging around out in the field.

Attachments

• IMG_0962.jpeg
    IMG_0962.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
Chuckybmd

Chuckybmd

WKR
Analogs if you take care of them will last virtually forever. My favorites are the Mit digital but they do fail now and then but not often. My first pair died out of the blue 4-5 years ago but they were much older than that. This Japanese made NSK I bought in 1979. Still going. They are my utility pair that I don’t mind dragging around out in the field.
Wow very nice. I almost like to vintage tools better! Used but well cared for!

cmahoney

WKR
664c46c08d0437ee640941cf8e6c95cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigMike87

FNG
My $30 general brand, and $40 mit clone, have always matched my real $100 dial Mits.

So precision doesn't seem to be an issue. Working longevity however, is something to be considered.

I use my junky calipers every day; and when I reload I check them against my dial Mit threema-20230618-221251078.jpgto make sure they are true. So far they have always been dead on.

deadwolf

WKR
I was set on Mito when I decided to upgrade calipers, and after some searching and reading I chose these instead and have had zero issues in almost ten years using them. Have changed the battery once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk