Mining Tram & BunkHouse

Poser

WKR
I was up hiking around some old mining country around Silverton this past weekend. I have not explored this area too much simply because there is a real lack of game due to the absurdly overwhelming amount of ORV traffic (SxSs are an abomination) in the summers months. I had never noticed this setup before, but found it super interesting.

This mine was constructed in the early 1900s by some crazy German immigrants. The angle on the tram was 48 degrees. It did apparently have a blasted out trail to it at one point but that has long since eroded. The local historical society dumped some $ into preserving the foundations back in the 1960s using helicopters. This mine, like most of the mines in the area, never turned a profit.

0c746275fc25253a763afbd2c710225b.jpg

0f44294120f0b8400f417892123fc487.jpg

620dd5ea3cdc26d469b8ec2ea3e45ba6.jpg

32242bb7926fc122bcba3501dfd7587c.jpg

541hunter

WKR
That is pretty interesting! Would be cool to somehow explore it up close. Thanks for posting.

bluumoon

WKR
Camped in that valley last summer, pretty stunning mine site, need to get back up there and do some hiking around.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
That is pretty interesting! Would be cool to somehow explore it up close. Thanks for posting.

I looked into it and there’s not much info, but it is possible apparently. It’s a 4-5 hour one way hike from the closest access road and you descend from above…. Which looks steep and sketchy.

Seth

WKR
Rough country and built by hearty men without the luxury of heavy equipment. I’ve seen that particular bunkhouse and some of the other mining remnants in the region and was in awe of the effort and determination it must have taken.

packer58

WKR
It always amazes me that the people from that era must have had endless energy and drive......

OP
P

Poser

WKR
^they ate better....no processed foods.

Nice find poser!

I’d venture they probably didn’t eat very well in these mines: hard tack, biscuits and coffee was probably about it. Many of them died in their 30s from lung damage and I’d guess most were deaf, too considering all of the hand drilling and blasting they did.

I always wondered the reaction to seeing a Moose in those days. I bet it was anything you could do to get that thing dead. Feast for a few weeks.

That's a little out of Moose country, but the supply runs would have taken them thru it.

Went up that drainage last time I was in Silverton. Those structures are pretty cool way up there. Here is the info if anyone is curious.

WoodBow

WKR
Very very cool. Thanks for sharing. Blows my mind that they did all that work essentially for nothing.

CJF

WKR
Mountain men and Miners back then were just built different.
...they also had a life expectancy not much over 30. They truly lived the adage "get rich, or die tryin". It is absolutely impressive what they accomplished in the high country, especially considering they were living in a pre-global warming environment; must have been snow up there year round!