Milton

Yes, It was totally ridiculous. This place was really tall, really steep roofs with a lot of zigs and zags - the roofline above and on the garage below had to have framing modified to flow together right, a first floor arched walk through had to be built under it, which required moving windows, lots of stucco, paver design had to be redone leading up to the new walkthrough, all new copper gutters had to be fabricated for 2nd floor and the deck, modifications on every part we touched were pretty crazy. We hated every minute of it since everything was tedious - the neighbor saw it and wanted to do the same thing - we told the contractor only if we’d get twice as much, and one coworker said nope, not at any price would he work on another. Lol

Funny enough I am currently working for a guy that sounds remarkably similar. We’ve been building for 4 years on this place. Sunk 18mil into his “ranch” so far, still chugging along. These guys exist, it’s just hard for me to wrap my head around there being enough people like this to drive the micro economics of the housing market in an entire sub region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
Funny enough I am currently working for a guy that sounds remarkably similar. We’ve been building for 4 years on this place. Sunk 18mil into his “ranch” so far, still chugging along. These guys exist, it’s just hard for me to wrap my head around there being enough people like this to drive the micro economics of the housing market in an entire sub region.
Yep, I’m always amazed at money. I know a few guys in Colorado that were small contractors and in both cases the hobby ranches grew large enough the wealthy owners made them an offer to be a personal contractor to live and work on the ranches full time. It seems if there is a big main house and at least a ranch manager’s house, bunk house for hired help, mother in law house, and a few guest houses, that it makes it financially viable to build another house for the full time contractor/carpenter. It sure seemed like a good gig - mostly remodeling, but maybe 1/3 new square footage. You’d have to really get along well to become an employee and move onto the property! Lol