Milligan Brand Chama, NM

GatorMike

FNG
Ray Milligan is a snake oil salesman...we went Sept 2022 and when we called Ray in 2021 and asked what was the best week...he gave us the 2nd week of September....when we got there ALL of his guides said they do not do very well the 2nd week and that Ray was just "trying to sell hunts." Ray is ALWAYS drunk walking through camp while bragging about how wealthy he is which is very annoying for the hunters to hear over and over. He said he has 100,000 acres to hunt and of the 4 spots we hunted 3 of them were maybe 50-80 acre parcels with rancher fences dividing them. One of the neighboring ranchers actually drove his 4x4 50 yards from me while I was on an evening hunt sitting by a water hole..and did the same thing to another hunter. I texted my guide and he saw this happen through his binoculars and told me to get up and move to where another hunter was (mainly cause the parcel was so small there was not alot of areas for us to spread out.) Ray will falsify his success/opportunity rate and many hunters in camp witnessed him writing on his dry erase board that a hunter got a 4x3 elk when what he killed was a 1x1 spike. He does this so when other hunters come to camp they think there is high success when there is not. This unethical outfitter is only out for your money and could care less about how disgusting the camp is (flies all over the food, spiders and other bugs in the showers, filthy bedding. I feel bad for his staff as they ALL talk poorly about Ray when he is not around but because there are not a lot of jobs in Chama.....they are nice to his face. i would 100% save your money and not hunt with this lying outfitter

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
I did a Dec cow hunt through him a few years ago, my brother and I could not stand the man. Very arrogant and tried to say we never paid our deposit so he wanted to charge us twice. Luckily proof was on our side. Once papers were signed and the remainder paid he told us to leave his lodge him and his buddies had whiskey to drink. I wouldnt book a hunt with him again for any price. Guides were nice though.

I don't know much about the outfit, or the guy.
But I once pulled over for two hunters standing on the stretch of road that he has his leases.

It was probably 10pm, and they were waiting for him to pick them up still. We offered to drive them to whatever camp they were staying at, but they didn't know where it was located.
Sounded sketchy to me.

🤦🏻‍♂️ Lesson learned. NEVER book with anyone who won’t provide a past client list….

That would definitely be a good source of information. I just wonder if the outfitter would provide any references that would have a negative opinion. Could be he would provide names and phone numbers of his brother in law, etc especially if he was a shady operator.
I have hunted Chama every year since 1990, and always see "Milligan Brand" vehicles in Chama. I never had the opportunity to speak with any of the guides or hunters. They have definitely been around a long time.
GatorMike, were you bow hunting?? Not that it makes any difference with the way you were treated, I was just wondering.

OP
G

GatorMike

FNG
That would definitely be a good source of information. I just wonder if the outfitter would provide any references that would have a negative opinion. Could be he would provide names and phone numbers of his brother in law, etc especially if he was a shady operator.
I have hunted Chama every year since 1990, and always see "Milligan Brand" vehicles in Chama. I never had the opportunity to speak with any of the guides or hunters. They have definitely been around a long time.
GatorMike, were you bow hunting?? Not that it makes any difference with the way you were treated, I was just wondering.
Yes it was a bow hunt...not that it would have mattered with this outfitter.

OP
G

GatorMike

FNG
Sorry you went through that. Sucks to look forward to something for a year, pay your hard earned money, then get screwed over.
I try to look on the bright side....met a few really good guys....had a bunch of laughs...but yes...knowing my hard earned money went to a scumbag like Ray Milligan ... that sucks.