Military ECWSS sleeping bags and bivy. too heavy or pretty good?

Shrek

WKR
I'm looking at the ECWSS for about $ 180.00. The 30*-50* bag @ 3lb , 0* bag 4lb and goretex bivy @ 2lb. Anyone use one. I'm 6'4" and about 230lbs by the time I use it and wonder if it will be big enough. I need to save where I can and this seems like a good sleep system.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What are you using it for? It should fit you. But you can find a better bag. I used this system while I was in the military and after I got out. It's pretty bulky for backpacking.

littlebuf

Banned
i use just the black bag.it compresses down pretty good and by itself is not very heavy.i never saw the need for the entire three bag system.i plan on upgrading to a slick bag but that will be next year

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
i use just the black bag.it compresses down pretty good and by itself is not very heavy.i never saw the need for the entire three bag system.i plan on upgrading to a slick bag but that will be next year

I was looking at a 20* long wide slick bag at $386 + shipping but I have to give somewhere. First rifle in sw co. . Think I can get by with the black bag ?

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
That bag is going to be a bit short for you but will work. They are good quality bags and will keep you warm but they are very bulky and heavy. I use them all the time since I am in the military and I still use them in my off time depending on what mode of transportation I am using to go hunting or camping.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
That bag is going to be a bit short for you but will work. They are good quality bags and will keep you warm but they are very bulky and heavy. I use them all the time since I am in the military and I still use them in my off time depending on what mode of transportation I am using to go hunting or camping.

The bit short part just killed it for me. I will get the long wide slick bag.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
The bit short part just killed it for me. I will get the long wide slick bag.

Sorry about that. A good friend of mine is your size and he is in the market for a long bag due to his issue bag being too short for him to sleep comfortably. I am 5'10" and these bags are just right for me.

Salerno huh? Theres definately worse places to be. To the original poster I have. Kelty Lightyear 15 degree bag that weighs 2.5 lbs. Their long version is I think 3lbs and you can get it for less than $180. It compacts down to the size of a water bottle. Highly recommend it. DONT buy the military one.

littlebuf

Banned
I was looking at a 20* long wide slick bag at $386 + shipping but I have to give somewhere. First rifle in sw co. . Think I can get by with the black bag ?

Like. Said I use only the black bag.its really not too heavy and packs pretty good.I put mine in a med kifaru 5 string stuff sack and it snches down all the way.I'm a real warm sleeper and useally end up half out of my bag in just about any weather but that's me.I don't think its too short either.I'm 6'5" and its a little snug around my feet if I pull the hood over my head but I still fit if I need to.useally don't need to though

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
i have the military bivy sack. it's the woodland one. it's gore-tex. it's a little heavier than some out there but it is really durable and i haven't got wet yet. i think it's about 2 pounds.

swat8888

WKR
I like the 0 degree bag, although it is rather bulky, I take it on colder hunts when weight isn't so much a concern. I don't trust that temp rating on the thinner bag...I would probably be pretty cold if I were out in that thing at 30 degrees. And the bivy is just way to heavy/bulky for my use. My 7oz TiGoat does everything I need it to for about 1/2lb and minimal space.

About the only Army/military gear I take hunting are the waffle mid-weight layers, silk weight layers, and the big puffy primaloft jackets that you seem to only get if you're stationed in Alaska, Korea or Drum.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I've used the green recon bag in weather about 40 degrees and it was "ok", and I am a warm sleeper too. The black bag was my go to bag last year, which was my first year back-country hunting and it worked great. That said, I think shopping around a little bit you might find a more packable 20 or 15 degree bag. That black bag was just a little to heavy and bulky for me.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
About the only Army/military gear I take hunting are the waffle mid-weight layers, silk weight layers, and the big puffy primaloft jackets that you seem to only get if you're stationed in Alaska, Korea or Drum.

I use the same stuff and have started using the new rain gear, the multi-cam pattern makes it that much better. :)

swat8888

WKR
Yeah that is true, the GEN III raingear that comes with the ECWS system is pretty lightweight, I had forgotten about that nice little addition. Probably didn't think about it too much because the set I used to have was ACU and I hate running around hunting looking like I should be at a training exercise instead.