Midsize SUV Experience?

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Hope I’m not missing much in my searches here…Wife is looking into getting a midsize suv. I’ve never looked into them so don’t know the motors or transmissions or common issues. She is not picky when it comes to looks or bells and whistles. She wants something that will start, go A to B, and hopefully be headache free. She really likes Chevy Traverse and I keep seeing the Kia Telluride pop up when I’m searching for options. But she is open to anything. Hoping someone has some positive experience with a midsize that they would recommend taking a look at or what to shy away from! We live in eastern MT so going to multiple lots to check out vehicles isn’t a quick afternoon trip for the most part.

Things she needs/wants:
3rd row seating
Reliability
Heated seats
New-ish/low miles

Thanks!

My wife has had great experiences with Subaru the last 5 years. She just got a new Forester which doesn't have the 3rd row. The Ascent has the 3rd row.

I have no idea on the new traverses, but the older body styles had some transmission issues. We bought a Kia Sorento new in 2018. Just before the telluride came out. The telluride is hot, and had a huge market adjustment which may or may not still be true. I haven’t followed the vehicle market in a bit. But….. Kia just put a new motor out Sorento with 88k miles in. 1000 miles in an oil change and the oil level was nearly off the dip stick. They ran a few consumption tests and ultimately replaced the motor, and it was basically hassle free. I’m pleased how our local dealership treated us.

Look at the Toyota Highlander Grand and the Kia Telluride.

Skip the Chevy. It’s a cheaply built POS in comparison to anything Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’d stay away from cvt transmissions.

I’ve heard good things about the kia telluride and hyundai palisade lately, I’d buy new for the 100k warranty, it’s not transferable.

Can’t got wrong with a Toyota highlander or 4Runner.

I wouldn’t touch a ford explorer unless you have a hell of a powertrain!

If you want bigger the Tahoe/yukon is the gold standard at the moment. Look at the 3.0 diesel for 26mpg in a full size suv!

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’d go for a Highlander myself. BUT realistically the 3rd row in this size class vehicle is ALWAYS lacking if not borderline worthless. I would highly consider biting the bullet and going a size up if third row was absolutely necessary. Or dare I say it, please don’t shoot, get a mini van. Other than potential offraod/4wd they crush a midsize SUV in every other way. I said what I said.

My wife has had a Subaru Ascent for the last couple years. She loves it. We have 30k on it so can’t speak to long term durability, but I haven’t heard or read of any issues.

We live in central MT don’t have the third row but you can get a 4Runner with third row. Don’t get the new turbo motor just the v6 classic one. Highlander might fit better

Aunt and uncle like their explorers north east of Glasgow and goes across a lot of gravel.

Have only heard good on the Kia. I’d stay away from the traverse.

Crusader

WKR
We bought a new 4Runner (2023 model) last fall and love it. We specifically sought and found a model with 3rd row seat, primarily for when we'll have grandkid(s) in it. The seat is very small so don't think of it as useful for full-size adults other than maybe for a short jaunt across town or something.

WRO

WKR
If you’ve got a pile kids to haul, get a sienna or Odessy. Stay away from the traverse, they’re not well built. Highlanders and pilots should be on your list to look at for SUVs..

4 runners are sweet but don’t have a pile of room in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I would buy a Toyota, Mazda, Honda or Subaru. That's about it.

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Funny enough I love vans 😂 the wife…not so much..
No kids yet, but they are in the future plans.

Thanks a ton guys! We will take a look into the Kia, Toyotas and Subaru more.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Funny enough I love vans 😂 the wife…not so much..
No kids yet, but they are in the future plans.

Thanks a ton guys! We will take a look into the Kia, Toyotas and Subaru more.
I’ve been trying to talk my wife into a minivan, but she refuses. I think she’s worried when she sees the upgrade he’ll see her in a minivan and won’t be impressed.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
11-24 4runner is the most reliable vehicle you will ever own. Go pre 2020 if you don’t want the electronic safety crap. I own two of them, one for each daughter. One has 150k miles nothing but oil, brakes and tires. Best vehicle I have ever owned. The other one has 35k miles and you can not tell a difference between the two driving them.

ray12515

FNG
I would look at the Hondas or Toyotas. I know some buddies have them and they never seem to have any problems. I’m not a fan of Kia’s after my sisters burst into flame as she was driving down the road

Maki35

WKR
I would pass on the traverse. I've read bad reviews on the traverse.

I would go Toyota, Honda, or Hyundai. I have honda's and toyo's and would buy them again.

MattB

WKR
4runners are great except for the mileage. 3rd row seats seem to be a great idea in concept but not in execution. Unless you are regularly driving 6 or 7 and a couple are kids older than car seat age, I would pass.

waspocrew

WKR
4runners are great except for the mileage. 3rd row seats seem to be a great idea in concept but not in execution. Unless you are regularly driving 6 or 7 and a couple are kids older than car seat age, I would pass.
Agreed on the 3rd row seating.

Our 4Runner had the 3rd row seats. We barely used it unless we had some of our kids' friends with us. When those seats are up, you have very little cargo room at all. Absolutely loved the 4Runner though.

There was a thread a while back about the VW Atlas as well - seemed to get a lot of good reviews.

go_deep

WKR
Wouldn't touch a Kia, I use to really like our Traverse, but the repairs are stupid expensive due to how it's engineered and built, a lit of things can not be done on it without a lift.
I'd go Toyota, Nissan, or Honda at this point, not necessarily in that order.